MERGED: Zack as a Strong safety? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Zack as a Strong safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You just don't take all pro position players and move them to another position...ZT is too slow for a S in the NFL, that is why he is playing LB....The only person I know of that was an all-pro who changed positions and was successful was Bob Keuchenberg who was an all-pro center who moved to guard (and was all pro there too). Completely different situations....Leave ZT at LB where he is best at...

LarryFinFan said:
You just don't take all pro position players and move them to another position...ZT is too slow for a S in the NFL, that is why he is playing LB....The only person I know of that was an all-pro who changed positions and was successful was Bob Keuchenberg who was an all-pro center who moved to guard (and was all pro there too). Completely different situations....Leave ZT at LB where he is best at...
Rod Woodson is another.

I'm glad this thread served it's purpose....for those that have some brain matter...you'll figure it out. GO PHINS!

fishypete said:
Rod Woodson is another.

True, I forgot..but moving from CB to S is not nearly as major a change as moving from LB to S...

LarryFinFan said:
True, I forgot..but moving from CB to S is not nearly as major a change as moving from LB to S...
Larry...I agree change sometimes doesn't come easy...but Zack is only appx 20 pounds heavier than Knight....Knight isn't a speed demon...and lets remember...Zack wasn't born a linebacker...he had to grow out of some position.
My guess it was safety. A strong safety plays mostly run coverage any way...and playing back alittle more wouldn't hurt Zack in his coverage.
It was only a thought to keep Zack around longer...his days are numbered as a middle linebacker...10 years playing the middle is a long time for a too small too light middle linebacker....I guess Zack is laughing all the way to the bank!!
Reminds me of a story that Don Shula told about Nick Buoniconti..."based upon nick's size and weight and everything else...Nick wouldn't have gotten in to the computer...he wouldn't have gotten into the computer to get rejected...is the way Shula said it to Nick...SIZE is everything and thats all they ever care about" The only issue that size concern's me in a player, is the size of a players heart and his brain.

Amazing....even then Shula knew more than all the others with all the equipment. Football history is full of players that were told they were too small, too light....too slow, thank God...some headcoach's use their hearts and brains. GO PHINS!

fishypete said:
Larry...I agree change sometimes doesn't come easy...but Zack is only appx 20 pounds heavier than Knight....Knight isn't a speed demon...and lets remember...Zack wasn't born a linebacker...he had to grow out of some position.
My guess it was safety. A strong safety plays mostly run coverage any way...and playing back alittle more wouldn't hurt Zack in his coverage.
It was only a thought to keep Zack around longer...his days are numbered as a middle linebacker...10 years playing the middle is a long time for a too small too light middle linebacker....I guess Zack is laughing all the way to the bank!!
Reminds me of a story that Don Shula told about Nick Buoniconti..."based upon nick's size and weight and everything else...Nick wouldn't have gotten in to the computer...he wouldn't have gotten into the computer to get rejected...is the way Shula said it to Nick...SIZE is everything and thats all they ever care about" The only issue that size concern's me in a player, is the size of a players heart and his brain.

Amazing....even then Shula knew more than all the others with all the equipment. Football history is full of players that were told they were too small, too light....too slow, thank God...some headcoach's use their hearts and brains. GO PHINS!

:eek: :confused:

Fishy...Well it would be an interesting experiment. I see your point about Zach. I just don't think that trying to keep him around longer is the direction that Saban will go....I think he will retool the defense over the next year or two and would not be surprised if ZT is gone by then. He really doesn't fit into the scheme that the league seems to be heading to (more of the 3-4 defense). If he were 5 years younger, it would seem to make more sense to me....

Funny how we forget sometimes how great a coach Shoes was...the classic line from Bum Phillips is my favorite description of Shoes... "He can take his'n and beat your'n, then take your'n and beat his'n"

ZT = VERY GOOD LB
ZT as safety = Mediocre at best average
ZT as Safety = Create hole at LB Position

= Doesnt make sense to change something that aint broke.

Its clear some of you get satisfaction out of making people feel stupid. Ok he gets the point, its a ridiculous idea to put Zach at SS, but ITS NOT a ridiculous idea to move a linebacker to safety or vice versa. I can think of 3 off the top of my head that have been converted, Michael Boulware, Adam Archuleta, Tony Bua, and im sure theres more. Whats dumber is some are making lame jokes like 'yeah lets move Fiedler to Linebacker' when thats not even close to his comparison. Give him a break, some of the people flaming him post dumb sh*t all the time.

LarryFinFan said:
What year was Keuchenberg an all-pro center? When he first started for the Dolphins, 1971, Bob DeMarco was the center. Jim Langer replaced him the next season and played virtually every game until mid 1979, when Mark Dennard replaced him. Dwight Stephenson replaced Dennard late in 1981 and was the center until after Kooch retired. Other than 1974 and 78, when he played multiple games at LT as well as LG and made the Pro Bowl each year, his position was always only LG.

phinatik7 said:
Its clear some of you get satisfaction out making people feel stupid. Ok he gets the point, its a ridiculous idea to put Zach at SS, but ITS NOT a ridiculous idea to move a linebacker to safety or vice versa. I can think of 3 off the top of my head that have been converted, Michael Boulware, Adam Archuleta, and Tony Bua. Whats dumber is some are making lame jokes like 'yeah lets move Fiedler to Linebacker' when thats not even close to his comparison. Give him a break, some of the people flaming him post dumb sh*t all the time.

Totally agree with you. One other college LB was Sammy Knight, who played SS as a soph and junior and was moved to OLB as a senior. Kind of the opposite of Bua, who played OLB until his senior season and then moved to SS.
As for Bua, if Saban plans on playing the SS in the box for the most part, he is someone who could be moved back to SS, since he could be too small at <215 lbs to play OLB in Saban's scheme.

xespin said:
hey we should try making mcintosh a defensive tackle..lol
He was a DT in college, before converting to left tackle as a senior. He was a decent DT before the conversion too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom