MergedX8:The Free Agency Thread | Page 16 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MergedX8:The Free Agency Thread

In general I agree with this sentiment. Far more mistakes are made signing high priced free agents than successes. And, when they do succeed, they're usually not in excess of their salary, so it's never a huge victory.

But, someone like Chris Canty might be available and I'd say he would be a big FA signing. Since our organization knows him well from their days at Dallas, I'd think he'd be a lower risk FA and potentially a fantastic acquisition for us. So, if they choose to go for that type of personally-known big time FA, then I'm all for it. In general though, I'm a huge fan of the Justin Smiley type acquisitions, and I said so at the time we acquired him. Pick a youngish veteran who fills a need and plays a role. Don't go for superstars in FA, because they'll get their payday and not give you return on your investment.

Get your superstars via the draft, or occasionally via trade. Pick the best players available in the draft and use that as your starting point. If you have the opportunity for a good trade, make it, regardless of position. Then use free agency to fill the holes.

I'd take Merriman. In a 3-4 you need 2 good OLB's and I'm almost 100% sure Marriman would be worth the price. With good pass rush the corners aren't that important because alot of pressure is taken off and we need another safety IMO. We definantly need some interior lineman on both sides but I beleive Merling and Langford will impress in year 2 and eventually flurish for us.

I understand that everyone whats to improve on our 11-5 record this season and make a run at the Super Bowl next year, but signing high priced free agents is not the way to go about it. Check out the Jets, they signed Calvin Pace, Alan Faneca, Damion Woody, and Tony Richardson. They also traded for Brett Favre and Kris Jenkins and you know what it got them? Third place in the AFC East and 13 million dollars over the estimated salary cap. Time and time again the NFL has shown that this is not the way to win.

Bill Parcells, Tony Sparano, and Jeff Ireland are all from the same school of thought. Name one big name, over-priced player that Dallas went out and signed when Parcells was the HC. (other than TO, who Parcells didn't really want) I know that it would be great to see us sign Houshmandzadeh, Jordan Gross, or Asomugha, but it is not going to happen. We will look to sign some lower priced free agents, while resigning our key guys.

I expect us to resign Bell and Goodman. Make offers to Carey and Crowder, but if they demand too much they will be left to walk. I think we continue to build through the draft with our four day one picks. If you think that high price free agents are on this team's radar. You are crazy.

I somewhat agree, however, we were also in the race for Calvin Pace last year. We were simply outbid by the Jets and never got the chance to sign him. We may sign at least one big name free agent, but if he wants to much money, we may get outbid once again.

we can hang up on gross. hes gonna get jake long money from someone to be a LT, we are not investing 13 mil a season on a rt when we can just keep carey or find someone cheaper for maybe 5-6.

i would pass on TJ because hes getting up there in years and is soley a possesion reciever, we already have possesion recievers who are capable.

its gonna be like last season, yall can hang it up on getting the big names, we are gonna pick up pieces of the puzzles which are gonna run us no more than 5-6 mil a year, maybe about 2 in that range, then we are gonna pick up maybe 3-4 that run for about 2 mil a year, and then just some camp fodder that might slip in if they show out or can excel at special teams.

D.Robinson or B.McFadden CB, A.Oshiomogho FS and either M.Peterson or B.Scott would all be solid additions at relatively priced contracts. In that I mean they sign for good money but not top dollar and they still have a big impact on our team.

We also need to re-sign our own FA's and deal with a starting Center and OLB through the draft. I wouldn't object to a mid to low round pick sent to ST.LOU for Holt if it could be done.

Haynesworth had like five qualifiers that if he met them he couldn't be tagged. It seems like when I read the thing about Nnamdi and the Pro Bowl qualifier before the season started I was thinking "there's no way he'll make it. People only care about stats and won't vote for him." I'm not completely sure, though.

EDIT: Apparently I must have just pulled it out of my butt or something because I can't find the article anywhere. Sorry about that, but if anyone knows where I could find it, I would greatly appreciate your help in my not looking crazy.

it was haynesworth. you are correct.

Merged:Free Agent Cornerbacks

DONT u guys think we can hit free agency for corners instead of drafting?
what route would u guys go free agent/draft for the needs of the team??

i personally would go
FREE AGENCY*
2 cornerbacks
1 NT
AND START THE SEASON WITH THE SAME RECEIVERS IF WE CAN LAND 1 THROUGH FREE AGENCY THEN FINE.

DRAFT*
O-LINE AND DLINE
LBS.
A SAFETY TO HELP BELL.

HIGHLIGHTED SOME NICE ONES HERE.

Oshiomogho Atogwe, UFA, St Louis Rams
Tyron Brackenridge, UFA, Kansas City Chiefs
Mike Brown, UFA, Chicago Bears
Phillip Buchanon, UFA, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Chris Gamble, UFA, Carolina Panthers
Jabari Greer, UFA, Buffalo Bills
Rodney Harrison, UFA, New England Patriots
Kelvin Hayden, UFA, Indianapolis Colts
Daven Holly, UFA, Cleveland Browns
Sean Jones, UFA, Cleveland Browns
Bryant McFadden, UFA, Pittsburgh Steelers
R.W. McQuarters, UFA, New York Giants
Justin Miller, UFA, New York Jets
Lawyer Milloy, UFA, Atlanta Falcons
Deltha O'Neal, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
Jarrad Page, UFA, Kansas City Chiefs
Jermaine Phillips, UFA, Tampa Bay Bucs
Allen Rossum, UFA, San Francisco 49ers - KICK RETURNER ALSO! DECENT PLAYER LIKED HIM WHEN HE PLAYED WITH PHILLY./
Darren Sharper, UFA, Darren Sharper - HE OWULD BE EXPENSIVE AND HES GETTING OLD ALSO.

THOUGHTS?

we could get a nice cb in the draft i would like bryant mcfadden and atogwe on that list all the other ones will probably stay with there teams

gamble got resigned already cross him out of the list

i absolutely love Atogwe. Would be a great addition. He's that ballhawking playmaker we need to compliment a great tackler and run stopper in Bell.

My 2 favorite CB's are Dunta Robinson and Bryant McFadden. Of course, Asomugha is high on everyone's list, but I think you can get more bang for your buck with one of the 2 I mentioned. Not to mention he will probably be franchised.

OJ atogwe and Bryant Mcfadden

Get those 2 players, draft a CB, and our secondary will be in decent shape for this year. We will address the secondary through the draft next year but for now we need to solidify the O and D lines and grab some LBs.

Back
Top Bottom