Michael Deiter has been a dud so far | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Michael Deiter has been a dud so far

How is it that professional, paid scouts miss this stuff? There is more access to footage etc than ever before, yet we keep drafting average players in rounds 1-3. X excluded. Heck, even Tunsil is just “good” not great. Then you look at teams like Baltimore who manage to make every draft pick look good somehow. I might be on the fear the Grier train soon...
yes ravens seem to draft great every yr for some reason. They do get most out of there players. Dolphins seem to draft safe player instead of high risk guy to me. I guess area club life in miami play big factory as well

So legitimate question, why have you relegated yourself to high school football if you spend so much time evaluating college players?

Well, I don’t coach high school football anymore. Haven’t in 30 years. But I am still AHSAA certified and have been for 30 years. Which means I can still get on the field and have hands on coaching with high school players if the coach wants my help.

I helped coach Godsey here for Hartselle for several years, but he just retired. My son played quarterback at Hartselle for Coach Godsey. All I really do now is go to games on Friday nights all over the state and talk to parents about how their kids are doing and what offers they may have. I still love high school football.

It really doesn’t take up too much of my time evaluating college prospects. Once you’ve done it as long as I have, you don’t have to watch 600 snaps of every single player. Some players I can literally watch 20 snaps and know what they are and are not. I can get through 60 games a week easy. Been doing it for years.

I do it because I enjoy it. It’s a hobby. It’s a hobby for any GM or scout if they enjoy scouting. If it’s not their hobby, they’re not going to be a very good GM or scout.

Evaluating talent is an art. Not a science. There are no qualifications or certifications for it. You can’t go to school for it. You don’t get a degree in it. You just either can or can’t. It’s just all about knowing the right people to be fortunate enough to make a lot of money in the NFL doing it. They all just hire their buddies. Nobody is more qualified to do it than anybody else. Either you can or can’t.

How is it that professional, paid scouts miss this stuff? There is more access to footage etc than ever before, yet we keep drafting average players in rounds 1-3. X excluded. Heck, even Tunsil is just “good” not great. Then you look at teams like Baltimore who manage to make every draft pick look good somehow. I might be on the fear the Grier train soon...

I don’t think the scouts necessarily miss it, but the GM is the one making the picks - based on team need.

Ozzie Newsome was a genius when it comes to evaluating talent and scouting football players. Just a natural. He put a blueprint in place that adheres to his philosophy on evaluating players. And like I said, most of em just hire their buddies and people they know. A guy like Ozzie hires good scouts that know and understand his philosophy and what he looks for and prioritizes with potential players.

Just because you’re employed in the NFL doesn’t mean you’re any good. There’s bad GM’s, bad scouts, bad head coaches, bad coordinators....just like there’s good and bad in any other line of work.

I thought Ozzie might be Bama’s next AD when Saban retires.

Well, I don’t coach high school football anymore. Haven’t in 30 years. But I am still AHSAA certified and have been for 30 years. Which means I can still get on the field and have hands on coaching with high school players if the coach wants my help.

I helped coach Godsey here for Hartselle for several years, but he just retired. My son played quarterback at Hartselle for Coach Godsey. All I really do now is go to games on Friday nights all over the state and talk to parents about how their kids are doing and what offers they may have. I still love high school football.

It really doesn’t take up too much of my time evaluating college prospects. Once you’ve done it as long as I have, you don’t have to watch 600 snaps of every single player. Some players I can literally watch 20 snaps and know what they are and are not. I can get through 60 games a week easy. Been doing it for years.

I do it because I enjoy it. It’s a hobby. It’s a hobby for any GM or scout if they enjoy scouting. If it’s not their hobby, they’re not going to be a very good GM or scout.

Evaluating talent is an art. Not a science. There are no qualifications or certifications for it. You can’t go to school for it. You don’t get a degree in it. You just either can or can’t. It’s just all about knowing the right people to be fortunate enough to make a lot of money in the NFL doing it. They all just hire their buddies. Nobody is more qualified to do it than anybody else. Either you can or can’t.

I really appreciate your ensight/opinion on the college players coming out. You cut thru all the BS and call like it is. So many ppl get caught up in just the numbers/stats and can’t see the limitations of an athlete. I’m no expert myself, don’t claim to be, but I have a decent eye for it in my opinion. Except for OL which I dont have a clue to be honest. Lol. I know you enjoy doing it, but Thank you for all the time you put into it. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Some really good stuff there Mister Ted.

• Evaluating talent is an art. Not a science.

• It’s a hobby for any GM or scout if they enjoy scouting. If it’s not their hobby, they’re not going to be a very good GM or scout.

• Ozzie Newsome was a genius when it comes to evaluating talent...

:up:

He blows, this team can’t draft olinemen to save its life.

We can hardly draft any position well but oline we are just terrible at. Tunsil is the only olinemen worth a shvt that we’ve drafted in recent years that I can remember.

I really appreciate your ensight/opinion on the college players coming out. You cut thru all the BS and call like it is. So many ppl get caught up in just the numbers/stats and can’t see the limitations of an athlete. I’m no expert myself, don’t claim to be, but I have a decent eye for it in my opinion. Except for OL which I dont have a clue to be honest. Lol. I know you enjoy doing it, but Thank you for all the time you put into it. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Thank you for the kind words they mean a lot.

Look, to be honest - the main reason I’ve been here was to talk a little college football and provide draft information for all of those that are into that type of thing and enjoyed it. I did all those threads for you folks.

But I’m getting worn down. I’m not 100% sure, but this may be my last year doing that here. I’m tired of watching college film and evaluating players. I just want to watch the games and enjoy them again.

Either way, if it is my last year doing it - the draft forum will be in good hands with guys like J-doll. He may have the best eye for talent I’ve seen in a long time. Guys like him and CK and a few others shouldn’t have any trouble giving you your draft fix.

It’s just a lot of work year round to keep up with. But I’m glad some of you got some enjoyment out of it. That makes it all worth it. I just hope Miami can start drafting the damn players better for you folks. You all deserve it if any damn body does.

He was far from the finished article coming out (hence he was a third round pick), but give the guy a break - it was assumed he would be teamed up with Tunsil on the left side to offer some stable guidance and coaching, instead he's been rotated around the line alongside low quality players who have also been rotated around positions. PFF know better than me but from what I can see the whole line has been awful, the de facto 'leader' Jesse Davis was utter dogshit against Washington.

The process we're going through this year is going to be stressful on players, any rookie coming into the unstable and unhappy environment they're in is going to struggle for motivation and help as the vets around them start focusing more and more on themselves and what their own future holds. This is not a healthy environment for a rookie to be coming in and maximising his potential.

Last edited:
He has been dissapointing, but the rest of the O line is below average at best. He is a rookie, playing like a rookie. I am sure that if he had Tunsil next to him, he would be better.

He has been dissapointing, but the rest of the O line is below average at best. He is a rookie, playing like a rookie. I am sure that if he had Tunsil next to him, he would be better.
No excuses...

Many of us don't want to give Rosen the excuse for playing behind a piss-poor o-line so the piss-poor o-line shouldn't be able to have an excuse for why they are piss poor.

Heck, even Tunsil is just “good” not great. Then you look at teams like Baltimore who manage to make every draft pick look good somehow. I might be on the fear the Grier train soon...

Define "great"...

Deshawn Watson was the butt of many a sack joke. Since Tunsil has gotten there he's suddenly an MVP candidate and reporters hang to hear him break down football at his post pressers...but that has been happening, or has it been happening since he knew his left side was walled off?

We have to stop with the back-handed compliments and often-times, plain old disrespect, for former players who have moved on to better situations...and nowdays ANYWHERE is a better situation.

Define "great"...

Deshawn Watson was the butt of many a sack joke. Since Tunsil has gotten there he's suddenly an MVP candidate and reporters hang to hear him break down football at his post pressers...but that has been happening, or has it been happening since he knew his left side was walled off?

We have to stop with the back-handed compliments and often-times, plain old disrespect, for former players who have moved on to better situations...and nowdays ANYWHERE is a better situation.

Watson still creates too many sacks.

Watson still creates too many sacks.
He does...because he pushes the ball into coverage. The defense gets paid to play too. Tunsil gives him time to go long.

I had a barely draftable grade on him.

Another homerun by Tbum.

Yeah, I didn't bother listing him. After Miami drafted him, I was glad to see that Duke Manyweather rated him highly, but no one is perfect. Just a really odd pick based on the talent available - unless Miami was just trying to plug a hole, which appears to be the case.

Thank you for the kind words they mean a lot.

Look, to be honest - the main reason I’ve been here was to talk a little college football and provide draft information for all of those that are into that type of thing and enjoyed it. I did all those threads for you folks.

But I’m getting worn down. I’m not 100% sure, but this may be my last year doing that here. I’m tired of watching college film and evaluating players. I just want to watch the games and enjoy them again.

Either way, if it is my last year doing it - the draft forum will be in good hands with guys like J-doll. He may have the best eye for talent I’ve seen in a long time. Guys like him and CK and a few others shouldn’t have any trouble giving you your draft fix.

It’s just a lot of work year round to keep up with. But I’m glad some of you got some enjoyment out of it. That makes it all worth it. I just hope Miami can start drafting the damn players better for you folks. You all deserve it if any damn body does.

Appreciate you, Slimm. Selfishly, I hope you continue to post for a long time, but if anyone deserves a break, it's you. I know that even if you took a break from the year-round boards, a lot of posters would still love to see you pop in with observations. Plus, if Miami drafts Tua . . .

Back
Top Bottom