Michael Deiter has been a dud so far | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Michael Deiter has been a dud so far

I think TedSlimm referenced Tbaum because everyone defending Griers poor-to-mediocre drafts defends them by saying Tbaum was *actually* in charge.

Grier has not impressed me with drafting when "it was a collaborative" effort and definitely didn't this season.

It's called the Jeff Ireland defense.

Call your shot then, what becomes of Deiter?
Looks like he'll be an average, serviceable guard once he improves his recognition of stunts and blitzes and improves his pass pro technique...things that should come with experience. The times he's looked the worst that I've seen is when he was fooled by stunts and "handed off" a rusher to someone that was not there or missed the pick up. His run blocking looks solid. The only time he looked like he was in over his head to me was when he filled it at LT against Dallas...swing tackle, especially LT should not be in the plans for him.

I'd be looking to upgrade every other position on the Oline before I worry about Deiter...maybe Davis can stick at RG or RT. I don't trust Kilgore to stay healthy.

I didn’t have the third round grade for Dieter..ughh..I hope the kid gets better somehow but I’m pretty sure he was way over-drafted..

Well, I don’t coach high school football anymore. Haven’t in 30 years. But I am still AHSAA certified and have been for 30 years. Which means I can still get on the field and have hands on coaching with high school players if the coach wants my help.

I helped coach Godsey here for Hartselle for several years, but he just retired. My son played quarterback at Hartselle for Coach Godsey. All I really do now is go to games on Friday nights all over the state and talk to parents about how their kids are doing and what offers they may have. I still love high school football.

It really doesn’t take up too much of my time evaluating college prospects. Once you’ve done it as long as I have, you don’t have to watch 600 snaps of every single player. Some players I can literally watch 20 snaps and know what they are and are not. I can get through 60 games a week easy. Been doing it for years.

I do it because I enjoy it. It’s a hobby. It’s a hobby for any GM or scout if they enjoy scouting. If it’s not their hobby, they’re not going to be a very good GM or scout.

Evaluating talent is an art. Not a science. There are no qualifications or certifications for it. You can’t go to school for it. You don’t get a degree in it. You just either can or can’t. It’s just all about knowing the right people to be fortunate enough to make a lot of money in the NFL doing it. They all just hire their buddies. Nobody is more qualified to do it than anybody else. Either you can or can’t.
Agreed..

Ya know there should be a school for it..graduation is based on the record of success and avoidance of failures.

Agreed..

Ya know there should be a school for it..graduation is based on the record of success and avoidance of failures.

NFL front offices are as cloudy as congress - you just have no idea how these people are allowed to stay in there for ever or how they even got there. They don't want you to know. Too many guys posting on the internet that could take their jobs.

NFL front offices are as cloudy as congress - you just have no idea how these people are allowed to stay in there for ever or how they even got there. They don't want you to know. Too many guys posting on the internet that could take their jobs.

I get it, and have been very vocal about it over the years..

Owners hiring GMs without documented proof of a 5-10 year track record and the right staff to evaluate that record is pretty silly and horribly irresponsible

So OL that MAY stick around as depth. Or holdovers until we get a true starting level player...

Deiter, at least due to being a recent high pick. They'll give him time to develop. Hopefully an average starting LG in the future. maybe future backup at g/c
Boehm, depth guard/center most likely
Prince, depth right tackle. Maybe.
Davis, swing tackle, back up at pretty much every spot except center

I can live with those dudes coming off the bench, but I think its time we totally redo the OL. Hard to do in just one season but over a few years it can be done. Hopefully we have a good FA in signing at least 2 veterans. Good players, not just players to fill a void

If there is one thing I know from four decades of watching football, it's that a rookie O lineman taken in the mid rounds will never improve at all. Cut him after a five game evaluation...

That is way too big a generalization. I'm sure many examples of how this is not true. Billy Turner comes to mind. Richie Incognito didn't make his first pro bowl until he was like 29, then made 4. If the ability is there, every player can get better. Where you're drafted is irrelevant. There are undrafted guys that become great players.

Drafting player are call taking a chance. They all sound good when mel kipper is talking them up..2020 we need draft 2 qb, 2 pass rusher,3 ot. 2 cb. Free agent 2 ol,2 pass rusher, 1 cb.. or try trade for cam newton..1. looking at this team we missing cam wake pass rush. 2. Need number 2 cb. 3 need help on ol. 4 rb. 5. That would help qb..
Just say no to Cam coming anywhere near these dolphins.

That is way too big a generalization. I'm sure many examples of how this is not true. Billy Turner comes to mind. Richie Incognito didn't make his first pro bowl until he was like 29, then made 4. If the ability is there, every player can get better. Where you're drafted is irrelevant. There are undrafted guys that become great players.
I forgot to turn on the HEAVY sarcasm font.

Back
Top Bottom