Mike Gesicki | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Gesicki

An NFL team should never go into a season counting so heavily on 2 rookie tight ends. It might be the toughest position to produce at as a rookie. Also, Aj Derby is always hurt and Gray was unproven. Shame on our front office for allowing this to happen

Ouch. I’ve held my expectations low knowing how difficult it is for first year tight end, but I really was betting he’d be more involved in the red zone than he is.

This is strictly on the coaching staff. The few times the ball has been thrown his way he's caught them. He clearly has the hands but isn't getting the receiving opportunities.

I said in the offseason IMO:

1. The offense will be good if we get the normal DVP production (we haven't gotten that yet).
2. The offense will be really good if we get true #1 DVP (that pipe dream is about out the window).
3. The offense will be top 5-10 if the rookie TE's contribute right away (we aren't getting **** from them).

The offense is average to bad and none of my 3 points have come to fruition. I didn't count on the line being ravaged by week 6 but I think we really only have a chance, I stress CHANCE, at DVP contributing what he normally does and being a good offense. Anything else is a pipe dream. But what do I know, DVP will probably have a good game and they'll trade him out of injury bug frustration.

Last edited:
This is strictly on the coaching staff. The few times the ball has been thrown his way he's caught them. He clearly has the hands but isn't getting the receiving opportunities.

I disagree. He is still being manhandled by linebackers and DBs during both protection and route running. He is not just being rerouted - he is being shoved up to 8 feet off his route. When I say manhandled I mean it in the most embarrassing way.

Still early in his young career. I dont think I expected him to perform like some phenom in the first 5 games. Gray's injury shook up that whole room.

Now the annual OL issues.

Not to say the lack of production isn't cause for concern, but I also think it's understandable. He has a lot working against him. TEs rarely have great rookie seasons, we're only passing for like 200 yds per game, and we have 4-5 WRs who command targets.

Not to say the lack of production isn't cause for concern, but I also think it's understandable. He has a lot working against him. TEs rarely have great rookie seasons, we're only passing for like 200 yds per game, and we have 4-5 WRs who command targets.
The problems I see are stemming from balance and coordination which bleeds into his inept technique.. concerning for sure imo as far as blocking goes..he’s a liability at this point, which was not a difficult projection considering what he was in college.

Agility wise in route he’s a long strider, not a lot of stop start quickness or sharpness in his cuts..

I think the qb has to stretch the boundaries of his catch radius which is higher than any defender until he hopefully improves in other areas.

The problems I see are stemming from balance and coordination which bleeds into his inept technique.. concerning for sure imo as far as blocking goes..he’s a liability at this point, which was not a difficult projection considering what he was in college.

Agility wise in route he’s a long strider, not a lot of stop start quickness or sharpness in his cuts..

I think the qb has to stretch the boundaries of his catch radius which is higher than any defender until he hopefully improves in other areas.

I agree with all that. Hes definitely not an all around TE, and likely never will be. He can be an elite deep threat and an elite red zone target though which is still awesome. Goedert was possibly the right pick, but I still believe the circumstances are just not in Gesickis favor to get many chances let alone good chances that use him to his strengths.

I disagree. He is still being manhandled by linebackers and DBs during both protection and route running. He is not just being rerouted - he is being shoved up to 8 feet off his route. When I say manhandled I mean it in the most embarrassing way.

I haven't seen that and if he's being rerouted and thrown off his feet in his routes then where are the calls?

Yes, I made similar points prior to the draft and after we picked him. For a guy with a basketball and volleyball background with all the highlight video dunks and great SPARQ scores, Mike Gesicki not only looks weak out there but more often than not can look like a klutz.

His frame and running style have some Egnew in them, if I'm allowed to go that far.

I have no idea why we didn't take the guy who looked the part and had nearly the same test scores...Dallas Goedert

I agree with all that. Hes definitely not an all around TE, and likely never will be. He can be an elite deep threat and an elite red zone target though which is still awesome. Goedert was possibly the right pick, but I still believe the circumstances are just not in Gesickis favor to get many chances let alone good chances that use him to his strengths.
Yeah I think he can catch touchdowns at a good rate..I just think he’s an easy cover body to body, so you gotta use the physical traits to your advanatage, like length, long speed, hands, vert..

Yes, I made similar points prior to the draft and after we picked him. For a guy with a basketball and volleyball background with all the highlight video dunks and great SPARQ scores, Mike Gesicki not only looks weak out there but more often than not can look like a klutz.

His frame and running style have some Egnew in them, if I'm allowed to go that far.

I have no idea why we didn't take the guy who looked the part and had nearly the same test scores...Dallas Goedert

I agree..I don’t think you went to far comparing him to Egnew in that regard, I think he’s worse, hell I said he was hopeless as a blocker predraft..lol

Back
Top Bottom