Mike Gesicki | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Mike Gesicki

Just an aside, reports out of Eagles camp has Dallas Goedert whiffing on blocks left and right. He's struggling in that department to this point.

Folks, blocking at this level is a process for most any tight end. Your goal is simply to get em to where they're not whiffing. Show some effort and develop some consistency in technique. It takes time.

But you can't coach any ol Tommy Tuffguy TightEnd the skills Gesicki demonstrates as an offensive weapon. Ain't happening.

I feel like Adam Gase is going to unleash Gesicki for this game. IT has that feel that Gase circled this game.... Makes me want to start him as a sleeper ..haha

I feel like Adam Gase is going to unleash Gesicki for this game. IT has that feel that Gase circled this game.... Makes me want to start him as a sleeper ..haha

This was my thought also, Gase wanted to use Gesicki as little as possible, but with all the injuries to the TEs Gase no longer had that luxury, but I think there will be a lot of Gesicki this coming game.

I will say this.... Gase is foolish if he at least doesn't get Gesicki in games with designed plays that allow him to use his current strengths as a player to build his confidence.

You have a player who does have rare skills and talent that can help you win right now. Each team is a collection of individuals who have specialties. Not being good at something has never been an excuse for great coaches to not play a guy. Instead, they play to their strengths and give them opportunities to succeed.

Holding a great player back because he lacks certain skills is head in the sand thinking.

Almost the equivalent of JJ stubbornly trying to turn Marino into a game manager.

I will say this.... Gase is foolish if he at least doesn't get Gesicki in games with designed plays that allow him to use his current strengths as a player to build his confidence.

You have a player who does have rare skills and talent that can help you win right now. Each team is a collection of individuals who have specialties. Not being good at something has never been an excuse for great coaches to not play a guy. Instead, they play to their strengths and give them opportunities to succeed.

Holding a great player back because he lacks certain skills is head in the sand thinking.

Almost the equivalent of JJ stubbornly trying to turn Marino into a game manager.
You didn't have to say any of this. I think Gase knows what he has a how he wants to use a player he wanted drafted.

He's good at his job.

Gase seems slow to introduce rooks unless injuries dictate same. I think we saw this with Grant. I do think Gase has a plan and expect something to counter Beli's game plan. I hope we throw the ball to Mike G enough to see a big play as well as getting Mike comfortable with the position and game speed.

Gesicki plays a little light and fluffy so far. I think he's getting the reps he deserves and there are some flashes but he's far from the physical specimen that a Gronk or Kelce or young Gates were. He needs more muscle and more time. In the meantime a couple of targets a game is plenty for his spot on the curve.

If you're looking for a guy to get more involved, search no further than Drake.

Gesicki plays a little light and fluffy so far. I think he's getting the reps he deserves and there are some flashes but he's far from the physical specimen that a Gronk or Kelce or young Gates were. He needs more muscle and more time. In the meantime a couple of targets a game is plenty for his spot on the curve.

If you're looking for a guy to get more involved, search no further than Drake.

I was going to say the exact same thing. As much as we all want Mike G to shine, I don't think he is ready physically or mentally.

A physical tough LB or CB, thats shredded from 4 or 5 years in a NFL program, with a wife, and 2 kids, is not going to let a young, lanky Mike G, high point balls all over on top of them.

They are going to push and shove this kid until he proves that he can man up. I don't think we will see much from him until the latter half of the season.

Didn't want to start a new thread, so thought I'd post here...

I have to admit that I was really happy when Miami picked Gesicki and, when he started going well in camp, it looked like Miami was really on to something.

However, since then it's absolutely clear he just isn't ready:

- For such an athletic guy he looks so laboured in his routes (is he thinking too much?)
- He hasn't got the skills yet to straight up beat a DB and get separation
- He hasn't got the skills yet to deal with people playing him physically (he's got the strength based on his combine, but there's a difference between being strong and being functional with it on the field)

... and that brings us to his blocking. I knew he needed work, but OMFG!

Twice he screwed up plays for Wilson:

- The now infamous 3rd and 1...He seals the edge, Wilson gets a clean release, 1st down
- The jet sweep shovel in the 1st half. Did you see how far he got knocked off his spot by Burfict? Instead of the LB getting blocked, the TE got chucked into Wilson's path! Could have been much more of a gain. Hell, Wilson did well just getting yards..

I know its still very early, we're only 1 month into the season, but right now he just seems like a liability and that Derby injury looms large.

What do others think? Will he improve, or is this year a write off for him?

Sadly, we are seeing a lot more of his weaknesses from scouting reports than his positives.
Not expecting much this year anymore. Just need to hope he busts his ass in the offseason and has that passion to want to be great, and not get by with the athletic talent he has.

Really, wish we would start passing the kid the ball a lot more.
You can tell he has nice hands.
So why not feed him?

Back
Top Bottom