Name your 5 most painful moments as a Dolphins fan | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Name your 5 most painful moments as a Dolphins fan

WFL steals Csonka, Kiick, Warfield
Super Bowl XVII missed interception to win
Arnsbarger leaves to coach LSU then Shula doesn’t bring Arnsbarger back instead letting him go to SD (Marino woulda had a Defense)
Not drafting Brees and passing on him in FA
JJ bailing on the team and making us hire Wanny.

Losing the AFC Title game to NE is a monsoon.Had the weather not be so awful they would have handled NE.And they certainly would have had a better showing against Da Bears.
I don't think it was a monsoon. The just whipped us. We beat them in a Monday nighter a few weeks before but barely 30-27. In the playoffs they beat the Jets and Raiders and had to beat us too, also on the road. We had a home playoff game vs the 8-8 Browns and had to come from 21-3 back to win by three. They were just playing better than us at that point, no monsoon necessary as it wasn't really even a close game.

That Jets game was hard to watch. One of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. It was as if the entire crew were Jet fans.
That is THE game that made me hate the jets so much. So much. Even after all the beatings given to us by Jim Kelly and Andre Reed and Thurman Thomas, I don't hate the bills like I hate the jets. Then gase made it even worse. Personally I hate the jets the most...

I dont even hate the Patriots, I'm just so damn tired of them!!

1. Stoyanovich miss.
2. 62-7
3. Ricky retires.
4. Refs give Saints 14 points.
5. That dam Monday night jets game.

1. 2002 @ NE. Being on the younger side I don't remember the marino years as well. That whole 4th quarter was just heartbreaking as we made every bad decision possible. And the patriots got every bounce they needed. Just a soul crusher

2. Ricky retiring - Between 2002 and Ricky finally bowing out, it was the final nail in our coffin. We immediately became the mediocre dolphins and still remain to this day.

3. The end of the Sparano years. You could just see the team tune out his constant yelling and fist pumps. He was such a good guy but his old school philosophy cost us so many games we should have won.

4. The 2013 season. We looked good and had no clue Joe Philbin had lost the team already. That was a slow death if I have ever seen one.

5. All the qb choices before the flores Era. Replacing marino is not easy. But holy **** you look at that list and it's just sad.

1. Losing to New England in the 1985 playoffs and denying Marino a chance to beat the Chicago Bears again. It would have been a ring for him, I'm quite certain. The 1986 Bears were nowhere near as dominant because Shula and Marino gave the league a blueprint how to beat that Buddy Ryan overload blitz defense.
2. Marino's last game. The only thing more painful than a playoff azz-whooopin' to an in-state usurper team as the final game for a legend was .... actually no longer having the GOAT on the field.
3. Losing the Super Bowl to the Washington Redskins in a town where almost everyone--including my dad and neighbors--rooted for the Washington Redskins. Every local car dealership had a player in their commercials for the next decade. Every newscast played a clip in their sports montage. It was inescapably painful.
4. Watching San Diego emerge victorious in that super-long game in the playoffs when Kellen Winslow played out of his mind and was correctly praised for his herculean efforts while they showed a picture of his teammates helping him off the field because he was so exhausted after that grueling victory ... which was our loss.
5. Sea of Hands loss to the Raiders ... where a player who NEVER caught passes comes up with the play of his life to snatch the win from our grasps.

Unfortunately, being a Dolphins fan ... this list could go on a lot longer. The scars run deep. But hey, we sustained unbelievable success for an unprecedented period of time under the winningest coach of all time, the GOAT, Don Shula. We were fortunate to be gifted the best QB of all time and one of the most fun great players ever to watch, Dan Marino. We were blessed with the toughest som'batch rhino of a FB in Larry Csonka. We were graced with the presence of a super-quick gazelle in Jason Taylor and a junkyard dog dominator in Zack Thomas. We've had more than our share of great players and fun people to wtach. I can't stay sad long thinking about the Dolphins ... because there's been a lot to keep Flipper flippin.

And right now, it feels like we're on the cusp of another run of greatness.

Fins Up.

Last edited:
depends on age obviously, i wasn't old enough to remember this but the sea of hands game was probably the worst as it marked the end of a dynasty

in my life and that i can remember -

stoyonvich miss against the chargers
jets winning week 17 to knock us out in 91
loss at pats week 17 2002
afc championship game loss to bills 1992
drafting ted ginn

1. Losing to New England in the 1985 playoffs and denying Marino a chance to beat the Chicago Bears again. It would have been a ring for him, I'm quite certain. The 1986 Bears were nowhere near as dominant because Shula and Marino gave the league a blueprint how to beat that Buddy Ryan overload blitz defense.
2. Marino's last game. The only thing more painful than a playoff azz-whooopin' to an in-state usurper team as the final game for a legend was .... actually no longer having the GOAT on the field.
3. Losing the Super Bowl to the Washington Redskins in a town where almost everyone--including my dad and neighbors--rooted for the Washington Redskins. Every local car dealership had a player in their commercials for the next decade. Every newscast played a clip in their sports montage. It was inescapably painful.
4. Watching San Diego emerge victorious in that super-long game in the playoffs when Kellen Winslow played out of his mind and was correctly praised for his herculean efforts while they showed a picture of his teammates helping him off the field because he was so exhausted after that grueling victory ... which was our loss.
5. Sea of Hands loss to the Raiders ... where a player who NEVER caught passes comes up with the play of his life to snatch the win from our grasps.

Unfortunately, being a Dolphins fan ... this list could go on a lot longer. The scars run deep. But hey, we sustained unbelievable success for an unprecedented period of time under the winningest coach of all time, the GOAT, Don Shula. We were fortunate to be gifted the best QB of all time and one of the most fun great players ever to watch, Dan Marino. We were blessed with the toughest som'batch rhino of a FB in Larry Csonka. We were graced with the presence of a super-quick gazelle in Jason Taylor and a junkyard dog dominator in Zack Thomas. We've had more than our share of great players and fun people to wtach. I can't say sad long thinking about the Dolphins ... because there's been a lot to keep Flipper flippin.

And right now, it feels like we're on the cusp of another run of greatness.

Fins Up.
Yes, if you're old enough it was an unprecedented long period of sustained excellence, punctuated with devastating bad moments, here and there, until the early 2000's. Mediocrity, punctuated by the occasional mirage playoff season, since then. Hopefully, it's back to excellence now, but who knows.

Miami had the best overall W-L record in the NFL, and in all of professiona teaml sports from the early 70's through the early 2000's. That combined with us being more mediocre than terrible the last 20 years, has us still with the 4th best overall record in the league since the merger, and 6th all time. Let's get back that #1 spot over the next decade!

Super bowl loss to niners

Loss to pats in afc champ

Marino injury in Cleveland

tannihill injuries. 2018 season and 2017 seasons going down the drain.

last game against buffalo this year. Maybe cause it was just recent I am sure there was worse since I watched team since 84. But I was pissed we missed playoffs

depends on age obviously, i wasn't old enough to remember this but the sea of hands game was probably the worst as it marked the end of a dynasty

in my life and that i can remember -

stoyonvich miss against the chargers
jets winning week 17 to knock us out in 91
loss at pats week 17 2002
afc championship game loss to bills 1992
drafting ted ginn
Forgot about that 91 game verse jets. Ugh that was rough. That whole 91 season we gave away games. Against lions , oilers , jets.

idk about 5 right now but watching john beck throw a backwards pick 6 was pretty painful

Others have mentioned my Top (Bottom?) 5, so I'll throw this out there:

1986, Jets 51 Miami 45 in OT. I still remember seeing a late Pass Interference against the Jets that wasn't called which would have changed the outcome. How can you score 6 TDs and lose the game?

Back
Top Bottom