NE players reveal Cam Newton lost QB job more than Mac Jones earned it. FINS will eat | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

NE players reveal Cam Newton lost QB job more than Mac Jones earned it. FINS will eat

I agree there's more to the story as well, though I think for different reasons.

Everything I read, Vegas lines, everything had Newton as #1 starting the season.

I don't know how short the leash was. I don't know if he barely was #1. But it appeared he was.

Then he gets put in a certain protocol again. This protocol will remain nameless as I don't want to get banned or warned.

Once in the protocol again, rumors started, articles started and all of a sudden his 5 day absence opened the door and he might lose the starting job to Jones.

In my line of work there's no such thing as coincidences.

Newton caused them a headache, he had no intention of fixing the headache from happening again, he got the headache at the last minute.

The team IMO decided to remove the headache and see what the rookie has.

The only difference is, unlike Urban Meyer, they smartly didn't state they removed him because of not wanting to fix his headache problem.
By all accounts…Mac Jones outplayed Cam Newton….in practice and games, it’s that simple!

The article mentions it, and I very much believe he lost his job because of his vaccination status and "misunderstanding" of the Patriots Covid-19 in-house protocols. It happened two separate times during camp / pre-season and I think Belichick didn't want to deal with it during the season so he let him go.

I don't believe for a minute the Cam all of a sudden turned into an idiot and didn't or couldn't know or comprehend the playbook. What I am more willing to believe is that he is a walking jerk who tends to rub everyone the wrong way including players fans and anyone in between.....couple with the fact that he played like crap last year is the reason he is gone.

He had the same receivers Jones has. So that isn’t an excuse. I just believe Belichick thinks Jones is the better QB and he gives them the best chance to win. He also probably felt that Newton wasn’t going to be happy backing up Jones and that was likely a big consideration in deciding to release Newton.

If there were other reasons like Newton not getting vaccinated or some other issues. You will never find out those other reasons from Belichick because he doesn’t give out that information to the media or anyone outside the organization.
Just like we did with Fitzpatrick - LOL

I don't go for the "all or nothing" aspect about Cam Newton.

I'm convinced he lost his job and got cut for a lot of the reasons often discussed.

1) He didn't know the play book.
It probably was not either "knowing or not knowing the play book", but the depth of the QB's knowledge of how to utilize the playbook beyond the basics.
I suspect Mac was explaining to Cam how to "see a little deeper" into the functions of the playbook from a QB's point of view, if his teammates observations are correct.

2) Casualness.
Cam always seemed to me to be too easily satisfied in his general attitude towards the game. Not paying attention to the teams protocols (any protocols) is a typical symptom of that "good enough" kind of thinking.

3) Preseason performance.
From what I read, both Cam and Mac had good pre-seasons with Mac having a noticeably better one.

I feel all these areas had an effect on Belichick's decision to go with Mac.

This would have been like comparing two knives of the same design. The newest one with the sharpest blade is most likely to get selected.

It's interesting that it would appear Mac Jones by default was given the starting job because Newton didn't know the playbook and wasn't able to run no huddle.

Mac Jones knew more of the playbook than Cam. That didn't mean he's ready.

Agree. It does allude to the fact that Cam is a blockhead

Cam Newton is the best high school football player of all time, even in the NFL.

It takes a lot of time to work on your end zone dance and what you will wear in that next post game interview that will shock the fashion world. Not much time left to study the playbook after that.

Never was a fan of Cam "superman dance" Newton. Act like you been there before ffs.

I'm getting old and grumpy.

Then, why do they all look like a phenomenally bad version of the Curly shuffle?

The Dolphins have to make Jones Participate in this game. If they don’t it could be a long sad day. They have to stop the run and score points. That would make life very tough for Jones and the Patriots. If NE puts together long 3 yards and a cloud of dust drives with sprinkled in play action Miami is screwed. It’s the Jared Goff game plan, make the QB participate because his coaches don’t want that.
100%

The Dolphins have to make Jones Participate in this game. If they don’t it could be a long sad day. They have to stop the run and score points. That would make life very tough for Jones and the Patriots. If NE puts together long 3 yards and a cloud of dust drives with sprinkled in play action Miami is screwed. It’s the Jared Goff game plan, make the QB participate because his coaches don’t want that.
Of course to win any game in the NFL, you need to stop the run and score points. If you can do those two things, you are going to have success against every team in the NFL, whether they have a rookie QB or not.

He hasn’t played at a high level in a long time. I don’t think he’s good any more.

I thought he might be able to regain his form, but watching him last year its obvious he was a shell of his former self despite Bill B trying to make the offense suit his game as much as was possible.

Back
Top Bottom