Offensive Line | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive Line

Many excellent thoughts and suggestions in this thread.

I feel we have suffered so friggin' long with a below average line, that it has to get solved, once and for all. It does not happen overnight. Last draft was a very solid step in the right direction. I anticipate all 3 rooks being long-time starters for us. Of course they have their warts right now. One is super young, one is overweight, and the other is making a big competitive jump. But they all showed promise. We couldn't say that about Dallas Thomas, Billy Turner Jr., or John Jerry after their rookie campaigns.

If the Jets do indeed take Sewell, no problem. We try to trade back a few spots, pick up some capital, and grab a top-shelf receiver. If no trade proposal of our liking manifests itself, take the best WR on the board. Smith in my mind, but fine with Chase as well. Yes, it is high to take a WR, but we aren't drafting a QB there, nor a top-shelf lineman (O or D). I like Parsons too, and think he would be a gem for Flo, but we truly have a chasm at WR that needs filling. And even if Parsons scores higher than Smith/Chase, it isn't by a long shot (compared to how Sewell would rank). I just don't see how a WR at #3 is a bust, but he is a perfect fit @ #6 or #7.

And for all those saying trade down no matter what, as Pat Kirwan always says, you have to have the offer! The Dolphins cannot guarantee a suitable offer---it may never present itself.

March , chill bro.
Did you see my post, it addressed to the OP.
I'm chill.

There's room for differing opinions, without insults, or berating others.

If one disagrees with another, simply state why, in a respectful manner. Mods say it all the time, debate the post. Not sure why it has to go beyond that.

I think we mitigated the sack & pressure total with a fair number of quick passes. The o-line seemed to hold up just long enough but there rarely seemed to be a clean pocket or strong push with good running lanes. Certainly a good job compared to last year, but still a lot left to be desired.

Last year, we had the worst Offensive Line in the league, and what was likely the worst line that the Miami Dolphins had put on the field in their history... and from that, we saved exactly one player-- Jesse Davis whom we have signed to a contract that pays him like a 6th man.

To this we added a 20 year old rookie with what is supposedly a very high ceiling (Jackson) in the 1st, a guy who would be best at Guard, but might be able to play frontside Tackle in a pinch (Hunt) in the second, and a pure run blocking mauler Guard in the 4th... and on the FA side, we signed a guy who took 4 years to become a mediocre, replacement level Center, and a guy who had busted at Tackle, before moving to Guard where he plays a bit above replacement level.

Considering that all of these players except Jackson and Kindley had some relatively serious questions coming in, it boggles my mind when people think we are done assembling an Offensive line... especially considering the size/durability issues of our QB, and the fact that both of the FA Linemen that we brought in were signed to VERY short contracts.

I know there are people here that just reflexively HATE to draft linemen, but geez fellas... Do you think we can make a line out of duct tape and wishes? ...and yes, I know that we need some offensive weapons, but brothers... we need BOTH.

I don't think many feel Miami is set at OL. I think it's more targeting the biggest holes. Side note: Before the draft there were quite a few wanting an OC. Miami drafted OG and OT.

I'm more optimistic on the OL than you are. I think Flowers played well when healthy. Kindley, Jackson, and Hunt will improve. We can debate how much. I would not be surprised if Miami opts for 1-2 FA OLmen with at least one starting. Maybe none.

I don't think many feel Miami is set at OL. I think it's more targeting the biggest holes. Side note: Before the draft there were quite a few wanting an OC. Miami drafted OG and OT.

I'm more optimistic on the OL than you are. I think Flowers played well when healthy. Kindley, Jackson, and Hunt will improve. We can debate how much. I would not be surprised if Miami opts for 1-2 FA OLmen with at least one starting. Maybe none.
While I certainly hope you are correct... the contract that Flowers signed has an out after next year that leaves almost no dead money, and when I combine this with the book on Hunt (slow feet, better inside), this looks like GM design to me.

Add to this that our backup Tackles (Davenport and Pankey) are routinely ignored in favour of Davis and can't see either on the team next year.

Could all three of our rookie improve? Yes, and I think they will, but the three of them and super-sub Davis are the only ones on the team that I think are worth keeping past the end of next year, and that only leaves us with 4 linemen and maybe Deiter.

I'd draft a Tackle and a Center THIS year... and both in the 4th round or earlier.

While I certainly hope you are correct... the contract that Flowers signed has an out after next year that leaves almost no dead money, and when I combine this with the book on Hunt (slow feet, better inside), this looks like GM design to me.

Add to this that our backup Tackles (Davenport and Pankey) are routinely ignored in favour of Davis and can't see either on the team next year.

Could all three of our rookie improve? Yes, and I think they will, but the three of them and super-sub Davis are the only ones on the team that I think are worth keeping past the end of next year, and that only leaves us with 4 linemen and maybe Deiter.

I'd draft a Tackle and a Center THIS year... and both in the 4th round or earlier.

If you're willing to wait til R3 or later, we agree. Shouldn't have to wait for the draft. If Flowers and or Karras are resigned/extended, that will tell a lot. Same if they're released (don't know the cap hit). Again, I don't think it's 'no' on OL, I just think it's a lower priority

If you're willing to wait til R3 or later, we agree. Shouldn't have to wait for the draft. If Flowers and or Karras are resigned/extended, that will tell a lot. Same if they're released (don't know the cap hit). Again, I don't think it's 'no' on OL, I just think it's a lower priority
It's my TOP priority, and I listed it as so on that top 5 thread.

That doesn't mean that I have to have to have to have Sewell... but it would likely mean that if we miss on him that I'm looking to get Darrisaw @18.

In today's passing game, I think you almost have to look to obtain two pass blocking Tackles. The old days of having a dancing bear on your blind side, and a run blocking monster on your front side have died, I think.

It's my TOP priority, and I listed it as so on that top 5 thread.

That doesn't mean that I have to have to have to have Sewell... but it would likely mean that if we miss on him that I'm looking to get Darrisaw @18.

In today's passing game, I think you almost have to look to obtain two pass blocking Tackles. The old days of having a dancing bear on your blind side, and a run blocking monster on your front side have died, I think.

Seems to me we agree everywhere but priority. Does Flo and staff agree with you or me? I have no idea. We may never find out. FA may make it a theoretical discussion. Miami may trade down. I expect a lot of irritation until FA opens

I don't know if you can chalk it up all to the Line. Tua's inexperience and holding the ball led to a bunch of sacks too.

If that’s all you’ve seen then you’re really not watching. Look at his intangibles. Do you actually see how he gets open? Makes the first guy miss almost every time? His YAC? He never drops passes, and doesn’t fumble. When he’s holding the ball it’s not even close to coming loose. Pay attention
Did you get replaced by an upgraded version?

Seems to me we agree everywhere but priority. Does Flo and staff agree with you or me? I have no idea. We may never find out. FA may make it a theoretical discussion. Miami may trade down. I expect a lot of irritation until FA opens
Heh!

I love to kick these things around, some of the inmates just get so mad when you don't accept their opinions as facts.

There's a lot of area between "bust" and "elite".

Why do ppl act like it's either/or?

#3 is too high to take a WR, if history is any indication of probability.
Got any numbers that says taking a WR top 5 is more of a bust-able scenario than taking a QB top 5?

I'm chill.

There's room for differing opinions, without insults, or berating others.

If one disagrees with another, simply state why, in a respectful manner. Mods say it all the time, debate the post. Not sure why it has to go beyond that.
Where in the quote that you quoted me, was insulting? I pointed out that he should read more posts before judging.
Like i said, chill. You were over reading it.

Back
Top Bottom