Offensive Scheme | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive Scheme

you might not have noticed but Stills and Parker were missing.

Without our 2 starting wrs the scheme was rather different playing with 3 small guys
Stills and Parker or not. There is no justification for our starting O not to get close to a 1st down on 3rd and 6 against their backups. No justifications, no excuses, preseason or not.

On 3rd down I would just love to see this team “ throw to the sticks”. 3rd &6= 3 yd pass. 3rd &14=6yd pass. THROW TO THE STICKS! Hell you might even get a PI.

Won't happen. Philbin and Gase both prefer short passes. That's why Landry had so many catches, but so few yards. A 3rd and long situation for Philbin or Gase calls for a 3 yard (or behind the line of scrimmage) pass. That's what they do. I'd love to see them go 0-16 so that a new regime can come in and run a real offense! Unfortunately, that won't happen either... when Philbin proved that he was a failure, Ross hired another nobody who wanted to run an offense and defense similar to what didn't work for Philbin. This team is run by incompetents from the owner on down.

They do have expectations. They expect their players to execute. Overall that is what is required to win the game. I know they will run plays regardless of the score but the object of the game is to get down field and score points.

Well if you keep thinking that is coaches approach to preseason games. Like I said you are gonna be disappointed for your entire life.

Well if you keep thinking that is coaches approach to preseason games. Like I said you are gonna be disappointed for your entire life.

Man, it is a preseason game and football does not effect my life like that. You are kidding yourself if you think they are out there to lose.

Man, it is a preseason game and football does not effect my life like that. You are kidding yourself if you think they are out there to lose.

HJCUgXr9k6Gmysi18

8:32 - Gase on preseason: "During the game, I'm pissed, I want us to do well, I want us to score every drive, I want us to win the game. You know it's this competitive nature that a lot of guys feel the same way".

When we hired Gase someone here posted that he looked at Chicago film and they never threw short of the sticks on third down. He guaranteed we would never do it here, that it was a thing of the past and one of the best aspects of the Gase hire.

I scoffed at the never aspect, since it happens league wide to some degree.

However, there is no question we bail out to those plays far too often. The maddening aspect is so many of them are the play design itself -- the intended receiver -- and not a mere dump off after the play broke down.

As I've posted countless times, I worked in a sports stats office for a few years and third down screen passes were identified as the height of stupidity. The entire office would burst out into laughter when those plays were called in a high profile game. There was one bowl game between Florida State and Penn State -- I believe -- in which third down screens were a combined 2 for 23, or something like that. It was surreal. Both teams were calling them all night and never bothering to notice that they weren't working. It went into multiple overtimes, partially accounting for so many possessions.

The percentage of success is actually higher in college than pro, though both are dreadful.

I'm convinced Adam Gase and the pro coaches never bother to check the numbers, the bottom line. They don't differentiate between second down, when screens are a competent choice, to third downs when they are disaster. It sounds cute and it looks good in practice, so they run it.

Then naturally every time it fails you hear the woes and moans of how close it was...if not for that one missed block we were in the end zone. Nat Moore fell prey to that last night.

Screen passes are ultimate sucker material. We need to cut it out. Don't design routes short of the marker. Treat it like a 3 point line in basketball. Make sure your guys are beyond the line, not shy of it.

I remember reading a post from a Bears fan saying I hope they like screen passes down there in Miami...

When we hired Gase someone here posted that he looked at Chicago film and they never threw short of the sticks on third down. He guaranteed we would never do it here, that it was a thing of the past and one of the best aspects of the Gase hire.

I scoffed at the never aspect, since it happens league wide to some degree.

However, there is no question we bail out to those plays far too often. The maddening aspect is so many of them are the play design itself -- the intended receiver -- and not a mere dump off after the play broke down.

As I've posted countless times, I worked in a sports stats office for a few years and third down screen passes were identified as the height of stupidity. The entire office would burst out into laughter when those plays were called in a high profile game. There was one bowl game between Florida State and Penn State -- I believe -- in which third down screens were a combined 2 for 23, or something like that. It was surreal. Both teams were calling them all night and never bothering to notice that they weren't working. It went into multiple overtimes, partially accounting for so many possessions.

The percentage of success is actually higher in college than pro, though both are dreadful.

I'm convinced Adam Gase and the pro coaches never bother to check the numbers, the bottom line. They don't differentiate between second down, when screens are a competent choice, to third downs when they are disaster. It sounds cute and it looks good in practice, so they run it.

Then naturally every time it fails you hear the woes and moans of how close it was...if not for that one missed block we were in the end zone. Nat Moore fell prey to that last night.

Screen passes are ultimate sucker material. We need to cut it out. Don't design routes short of the marker. Treat it like a 3 point line in basketball. Make sure your guys are beyond the line, not shy of it.
Man I have missed your posts. Wish you would post more often.

2006 Orange Bowl? The year Bobby anointed his son Jeffery as his incompetent OC?

Parker is a guy people were hoping to trade or get demoted, now he is the reason the offense is schemed to pass short right, short left? Oh, I get it, coach Gase is trolling people here, we have short receivers so do short passes. Haha, what a comedian.

I don't have access to the all 22 or coach film or whatever, but I'd be curious to know if on these short passes there were other options open that Tannehill just didn't risk. In the past that has definitely been the case from film others have provided, in which Tannehill makes an accurate/difficult pass to a guy 5-7 yards downfield, meanwhile here's a wide open receiver 15-20 yards breaking free.

Yes I believe Tannehill is leaving plays on the field keeping it conservative as he always has! Ugggg

8:32 - Gase on preseason: "During the game, I'm pissed, I want us to do well, I want us to score every drive, I want us to win the game. You know it's this competitive nature that a lot of guys feel the same way".

Want to win, want to do well. But they do not expect it. We all want to do well. These are try out they are not running plays to win the game. They running plays to get players rep in game time situations. But be the boo boo the fool to think they expect to win preseason games. When the 4th quarter guys will not be on the roster.

The team is NOT showing anything. Gase said that in the red zone and on third down they were not going to give away any plan for the regular season. Ryan was coached to get the ball out of his hands fast. They wanted him to get into the speed of the game again, but slowly. Don't judge the offense until it's the regular season. Frank Gore will be a big part of the offense along with new TE Mike Gisecki. Tannehill looked a little rusty to me but that's to be expected. The o-line will need time to gel, that also is to be expected.

Its all on Gase now. He has everything he wanted. No more excuses. I want to see a high functioning team that doesn't make idiotic blunders. I'm tired of the old, we shot ourselves in the foot. STOP DOING THAT!!!!! Come out with precision, discipline and be one of those teams that marches for a TD on the opening drive and then forces a three and out. That doesn't sound like us at all but we better turn that around and become that team, a winning team. When told that his offense is looking pretty bad, Gase answered that it's being done on purpose and I'll take the hit on that. If it's the same crap on opening day I'll lose it along with the rest of you!

Want to win, want to do well. But they do not expect it. We all want to do well. These are try out they are not running plays to win the game. They running plays to get players rep in game time situations. But be the boo boo the fool to think they expect to win preseason games. When the 4th quarter guys will not be on the roster.

To think that any coach doesn't have expectations in any competitive game is ludicrous.

Back
Top Bottom