Offensive Scheme | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Offensive Scheme

If you look at the run/pass ratio, I’d bring the run emphasis up. I like the talent in the backfield and they can run the football well if they are willing to do it. Then, off the run, I’d throw the football downfield. This is classic Al Davis football, but it can work with this roster. I’m confident Wilson and Grant will separate and get open downfield. Stills is a given in this regard.

If you’ve got the defense lurching forward because of the run defense, you can punish them downfield with the pass game.

You don’t have tough, physical receivers who can sit down and catch short passes with toughness. You are asking for too many things to go right on long drives if you obsess over short passes.

Run the football and throw it downfield. You will get chunk yardage and big plays running that offense.

To think that any coach doesn't have expectations in any competitive game is ludicrous.
True, but Gases expectations are not the same as a fans. He doesn't see the preseason as a competitive game in the way that you do.

Maybe I am wrong but didn't Gase say that he was saving plays for the Regular season last year?...If he didn't the my bad.
Clearly at this moment Landry wasn't the problem.

I just don't think Adam Gase is that good of a playcaller. I mean what did he really do as an OC to make anybody think he was a good playcaller? He rode Peyton Manning's offense in Denver.

True, but Gases expectations are not the same as a fans. He doesn't see the preseason as a competitive game in the way that you do.

When Gase calls a play in preseason, does he expect them to have pre snap penalties? Does he expect the WRs to execute and run their routes? Does he expect his offensive line to block? Because I'm sure that most fans have those same expectations.

I just don't think Adam Gase is that good of a playcaller. I mean what did he really do as an OC to make anybody think he was a good playcaller? He rode Peyton Manning's offense in Denver.

I highly doubt Gase called any of the plays for Manning. That was all Manning.

I like Gase but his play calling would be best for a college team. The bubble screens need to go. Gase probably has called more bubble screens in one game than Marino throw in his entire career. It’s probably one of the dumbest plays in the NFL. Sure, it’s a cool play in college, so is a reverse. However, the players in the NFL are too fast and smart to fall for that ****.

Our offense has been all bubble screens the last two years? Did I miss where Philbin was still coaching?

To think that any coach doesn't have expectations in any competitive game is ludicrous.
I think you're confusing expectations in this context. Of course he would like to score every drive and win every game but they are not expecting it. Gase's expectations so far this preseason are that the individual players execute correctly and efficiently and prove they know the playbook and what their assignments are in different game situations and defensive formations. Then they concentrate on playing as a unit. They may even call plays that they know have little or no chance of succeeding just to watch how certain players are handling their responsibilities. If they see a mistake they coach the guy up, send him back in and do it again. The first two games are a glorified practice. I promise you that winning the game is way down on the coaches list of priorities for these games. Scoring points would be nice but again not the highest priority. Don't mistake your expectations with the coaches. It's not every teams strategy but can we at least wait until the real games before deciding whether the strategy works or not?

I think you're confusing expectations in this context. Of course he would like to score every drive and win every game but they are not expecting it. Gase's expectations so far this preseason are that the individual players execute correctly and efficiently and prove they know the playbook and what their assignments are in different game situations and defensive formations. Then they concentrate on playing as a unit. They may even call plays that they know have little or no chance of succeeding just to watch how certain players are handling their responsibilities. If they see a mistake they coach the guy up, send him back in and do it again. The first two games are a glorified practice. I promise you that winning the game is way down on the coaches list of priorities for these games. Scoring points would be nice but again not the highest priority. Don't mistake your expectations with the coaches. It's not every teams strategy but can we at least wait until the real games before deciding whether the strategy works or not?

No actually I'm not confusing expectations. I know coaches expect players to execute above all else. They are concentrating on minimizing penalties and just getting game time film of players in certain situations to gauge their performance. I get that but I also understand that executing plays correctly and minimizing penalties are the building blocks to the offense scoring points which help to win games.

When I watched a replay of the game I saw a very good and stacked NC outclass a patchwork Fins.
Throwing the ball behind the sticks is loser football. Throw middle or deep and demand that oline and backs mainstain their blocks cleanly.
Our run defense isnt up to par and apart from a few great individual efforts this defense isnt very good.

If we run this scheme of short bubble screens and very conservative running game, we are going to have to be perfect in our execution. If we have a penalty or we take a loss on a play, there is no margin for error and we will not be able to overcome it. It certainly will be detrimental to the defense. Hopefully this will change and we open up a bit in the next game. If not, the predictions on the season maybe prophetic..
Well this is our offense with an occasional 10+ yard throw and even less seldom 20+ yard throw but I’m not sure that’s something you want to run in preseason especially without Stills and Parker, those are the only two receivers that have any chemistry with Thill. I wouldn’t expect to see much more than trying to perfect the pace and the 80% of the normal offense (dink/dunk/ screen). We do have to clean up the penalties and runs for loss though because I agree that will kill drives. This team is not built for 3rd and long. Gase says he’s not running our red zone package and I hope that’s true because this offense since he has been here can move down field so they better have an effective package down in the red zone.

I highly doubt Gase called any of the plays for Manning. That was all Manning.

I like Gase but his play calling would be best for a college team. The bubble screens need to go. Gase probably has called more bubble screens in one game than Marino throw in his entire career. It’s probably one of the dumbest plays in the NFL. Sure, it’s a cool play in college, so is a reverse. However, the players in the NFL are too fast and smart to fall for that ****.

That was my point. Manning pretty much called his own plays in Denver. Gase is very overrated as a playcaller and shouldn't be a head coach.

No actually I'm not confusing expectations. I know coaches expect players to execute above all else. They are concentrating on minimizing penalties and just getting game time film of players in certain situations to gauge their performance. I get that but I also understand that executing plays correctly and minimizing penalties are the building blocks to the offense scoring points which help to win games.

I agree with everything you said. I think we actually see things very similarly, we just have different expectations:)

See what I did there? Sorry man, not trying to argue and I think we both want the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom