Oh Darn, Another Thill Thread! Just A Few Points I Wish People Could Be Honest About.... | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Oh Darn, Another Thill Thread! Just A Few Points I Wish People Could Be Honest About....

dejesus:

wrong. the Fact I stated is that most of us are Not still waiting for his breakout season.
that did in fact happen in 2016, whether the minority who dont get it agree or not.

your "average" incorporates the first 5 games where the team was learning the new staff/system.

his "breakout" was after that, when he had a 100+ rating and was playing at a top 3-5 level. it was ended only by
injury.

Lol at top 3-5 he was averaging 215 yards per game. Top 3-5 game manager maybe

When making up your mind includes ignoring changes and progress, it is a problem. Most people understand that. Kind of sad that it needs to be explained to you.

This mentality explains a lot really. You're not the only one who has it, just the one who has come out and admitted it. It is what causes posters to claim all kinds of stuff that happened in the past as present tense. Once you've made up their mind, in. your own words - you're "highly unlikely to change your view". So we get repeated bullshit like, he gets a lot passes batted down, he hold onto the ball too long, he locks onto one receiver, he can't throw the long ball, etc. All despite improvements in all those areas (in some cases, improvement to top 5 status). Ignore that because you've made up your mind.

Well, when you made your mind up at the end of 2013 and you choose to ignore everything that has happened since, this is what you get.

(and again with AFTER SEVEN years. How can it be AFTER SEVEN years when he was drafted SIX years ago?) You've closed your mind to what has happened and started making up your own facts. Nice.

So what are your thoughts on Alex Smith now that he has "broken out?"

So what are your thoughts on Alex Smith now that he has "broken out?"

Who said he broke out last season? Last season simply showed that he is capable of attacking down the field while still remaining efficient. He had career highs in passing yards, passing yards per game, A/YPA, and passer rating. and TDs. It doesn't change what he did in the past, but it sure as hell should change what is considered his high bar.

It is entirely possible that he will won't replicate those number but it is totally wrong to say he can't.

Who said he broke out last season? Last season simply showed that he is capable of attacking down the field while still remaining efficient. He had career highs in passing yards, passing yards per game, A/YPA, and passer rating. and TDs. It doesn't change what he did in the past, but it sure as hell should change what is considered his high bar.

It is entirely possible that he will won't replicate those number but it is totally wrong to say he can't.

Where does Smith rank now for you? For a refresher this is where you had him two years ago:

[QUOTE="FinfanInBuffalo,

Russell Wilson
Aaron Rodgers
Tom Brady
Philip Rivers
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger

Andrew Luck
Tony Romo
Carson Palmer
Matt Ryan
Ryan Tannehill
Cam Newton
Eli Manning
Andy Dalton
Joe Flacco

Alex Smith
Matthew Stafford
Derek Carr
Teddy Bridgewater
Jay Cutler
Kirk Cousins

Josh McCown
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Mark Sanchez
Sam Bradford
Blake Bortles
Jamies Winston
Marcus Mariota

Just so people don't think my opinion isn't shared by others, this is from before the start of last season. I don't think last season damages the subjective ranking of a QB.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ranking-all-32-nfl-starting-qbs/[/QUOTE]

I consider myself undecided on this issue, but Ryan's our QB so I support him 100% and I hope he has a great season.

For those of you on the "convinced" side, though, I would love to be swayed over to your side. So what I need is to know what happened in Baltimore during his breakout stretch. Because the media (which I know, doesn't know anything) just talked about how we beat inferior competition during that streak and teams with losing records. They all said the test would come vs. the Ravens (who were only 6-5 at the time...we were 7-4)...and then Tannehill was awful in that game...3 picks and down 24-0 before we score in garbage time. Why should I not be concerned by that game when everyone said that would be his big test? Given the tensions on this topic, I'm not sure that there can be a reasonable discussion, but I'm really curious.

Rook- that's a fair question and the kind of meaningful, intelligent points i wish we saw more of from those who arent all on board.

i can offer a few points, but not to be excuses.

1. Thill has played great against some great (superbowl) teams in past- NE, @ Denver, @ Pittsburgh.... you cant put too much on 1 game. hiw di you explain NBA where teams w superstars lose by 30pts and then beat the same team by 20 a few games later?

2. Dolphins ALWAYS play horrible vs RAVENS. i dont know why- but some teams always seem to have others' numbers. our d was horrible as was every facet of our game.

3. Even Brady stinks it up every once in a while. Again, one game is one game. after the Raven game, he was playing great again.

What I put most faith in is what i thought observing him, and then hearing RT confirm it:

shortly after injury RT was talking about injury and how personally frustrating it was fir him because after 4 years the game had finally slowed down for him at an incredible pace and he was feeling the comfidence to make any throw in any situation.

You saw a different RT in that stretch towards end- needling passes into incredibly tight windows, moving comfortably in pocket, willing his team to comeback victories etc...

heres hoping he can regain that form.

Last edited:
If Matt Moore could sustain a high level of play for any length of time, he wouldn't be sitting home right now. Or, is he part of the "great Tannehill conspiracy"?
You mean like he did at the end of 11, before he was immediately dumped for tannehill? ;)

I have been pro Tannehill since he was drafted, and by any measure he was not a bust.

The question is and remains can he elevate a team to contender status?...can he make the plays that win meaningful games?

I have no doubt he is a good quarterback...what I’m not convinced of yet is that he is a champion...that he can be a champion.

If we don’t get conclusive evidence in 2018 that he possesses those intangibles...we simply have to pursue a QB in 2019 in my estimation.

fair point, BlueFin. he DOES still need to prove that.

I differ a bit though in that i cant arbitrarily say 2018 is it. I COULD agree with that if it turns out our Defense is decent and our OL protection is adequate. we have the pieces at receivers and decent RB, so no excuses there. Give him protection, and give him a D so the pressure is not solely on him and it will be sink or swim time.

You mean like he did at the end of 11, before he was immediately dumped for tannehill? ;)

If that is what you think, go with it.

BTW, he was beaten out by Tannehill not dumped. He was still on the team until last season.

Where does Smith rank now for you? For a refresher this is where you had him two years ago:

FinfanInBuffalo said:
Russell Wilson
Aaron Rodgers
Tom Brady
Philip Rivers
Drew Brees
Ben Roethlisberger

Andrew Luck
Tony Romo
Carson Palmer
Matt Ryan
Ryan Tannehill
Cam Newton
Eli Manning
Andy Dalton
Joe Flacco

Alex Smith
Matthew Stafford
Derek Carr
Teddy Bridgewater
Jay Cutler
Kirk Cousins

Josh McCown
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Mark Sanchez
Sam Bradford
Blake Bortles
Jamies Winston
Marcus Mariota

Just so people don't think my opinion isn't shared by others, this is from before the start of last season. I don't think last season damages the subjective ranking of a QB.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ranking-all-32-nfl-starting-qbs/

I'd put him somewhere in group 2 now.

Back
Top Bottom