Overtaking Buffalo, the Next Step in Miami's Progression | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Overtaking Buffalo, the Next Step in Miami's Progression

Last year the Bills were clearly the best team in the division. They will likely be the best team in the division next year because right now they have the best defense and the best QB in the division.

The Patriots will be a better team than it was last year after signing several good players in free agency and also getting back some top players who opted out last year.

The Jets will be better next season simply because it would be hard to be worse than they were last season and because they no longer have Gase as their head coach.

The Dolphins didn’t do much in free agency to improve the team, so they will have to improve through the draft and in the development of all the young players they already have on the roster.

I expect the AFC East to be a very competitive division in 2021 and in the coming seasons and the Dolphins will have to hit on their draft picks if they expect to eventually be the class of the division.

Tua is going to be more accurate than Allen. If he has a Chase or even a decent wide receiver we have a deep ball threat that we haven't had in a long time. I wish Preston Williams was healthy all season last year, I think Tua would have made him a star, and still might. I am all for drafting the pieces to go against the Bills and KC. That edge is important. If there was a guy rated as high at the position in this draft that Sewell is at his, I would be for that pick at 6. There really isn't one. But I might consider Kwity at eighteen for sure. I'd take that over running back any day. Well, day one at least.
Not an apples to apples comparison, but Jayson Oweh is kind of the defensive equivalent of Josh Allen coming out.

Allen had some elite skills to work with and the Bills were patient with him, putting talent around him.

Oweh has potentially the best explosion profile of all the edge players in this draft, but obviously lacks in experience and needs to learn the nuances of the position.

Other than a quarterback, is it worth drafting a player who might be a three year project?

The only way we overtake Buffalo is if Brian Flores and his staff get a hell of a lot better than they were last year. For all the B.S media hype Flores got the reality is we had the 3rd best coach and coaching staff in the division, that ain't gonna cut it. Chris Grier has done everything he can up to this point to set Flores up for success, it's up to him and Tua now plus a little luck in the draft.

Not an apples to apples comparison, but Jayson Oweh is kind of the defensive equivalent of Josh Allen coming out.

Allen had some elite skills to work with and the Bills were patient with him, putting talent around him.

Oweh has potentially the best explosion profile of all the edge players in this draft, but obviously lacks in experience and needs to learn the nuances of the position.

Other than a quarterback, is it worth drafting a player who might be a three year project?
No it isn’t. The Dolphins need to draft players with their first 4 picks who can come in and start immediately. Oweh would be an okay pick from the third round through the 7th round but it would be ridiculous for the Dolphins to draft a player who might be a three year project.

They already have one of those type first round picks in Iggy and they certainly don’t need to waste another high draft pick on a player who looks better running around in shorts than he looks actually playing the game.

Hope Miami can add two of Pitts, Smith, Chase, Waddle, Moore, Marshall, and Bateman.

Absolutely need at least one of them. Realistically, it'll probably be only one. I think it'd be a wasted opportunity. These WR's are much, much better bets than you get most years - both in terms of floor and ceiling - and Pitts is, of course, as special/rare as it gets. Pitts + Smith or E. Moore is the dream.

If it's only one, though, T. Jenkins is player I want at 18. Really good RT with elite athleticism and physicality. The right side of the OL would be set for years. I guess it's possible that Moore, Marshall, or Bateman could be there at 36, but I kinda doubt it, and I wouldn't count on it.

Payton Turner is the best fit at DE imo. Hard to say where he goes. Currently projected toward the back of the 3rd RD, I think Miami would at least have to use pick 50 to land him. Feel similarly about Elerson Smith. Projected in the 4th, but he's already pretty good and a great athlete with a good frame. I think both will end up being better than guys currently ranked ahead of them.
Agree, but I think Miami takes one wide receiver early and maybe one late.

Love the idea of Jenkins, who is one of the most physical offensive linemen in the draft. If it came down to Jenkins or Vera-Tucker, that would be a tough choice. Either would be a great addition, but I think Vera-Tucker would play LG.

Admittedly, don't know enough about Payton Tucker. I like Basham around #36 depending on who else is available there.

If Elijah Moore gets past KC, and makes it to #36, that would be my pick.

The only way we overtake Buffalo is if Brian Flores and his staff get a hell of a lot better than they were last year. For all the B.S media hype Flores got the reality is we had the 3rd best coach and coaching staff in the division, that ain't gonna cut it. Chris Grier has done everything he can up to this point to set Flores up for success, it's up to him and Tua now plus a little luck in the draft.
While I agree that Flores and the coaching staff need to keep improving. I think that some people on here tend to forget that last year was only the 2nd year of a complete rebuild for the Dolphins.

Buffalo has been building there present team for the last 5 years and Belichick has been with the Patriots of 20 years. The fact the Dolphins won 10 games last year with an improved defense while
playing with a career backup and a rookie QB shows that Flores and the coaching staff did a lot more right than wrong in year two of the rebuild.

Last edited:
While I agree the Flores and the coaching staff need to keep improving. I think that some people on here tend to forget that last year was only the 2nd year of a complete rebuild for the Dolphins.

Buffalo has been building there present team for the last 5 years and Belichick has been with the Patriots of 20 years. The fact the Dolphins won 10 games last year with an improved defense while
playing with a career backup and a rookie QB shows that Flores and the coaching staff did a lot more right than wrong in year two of the rebuild.
I agree, week 17 was just so brutal for Tua and Flores however, don't ever want to see that again.

No it isn’t. The Dolphins need to draft players with their first 4 picks who can come in and start immediately. Oweh would be an okay pick from the third round through the 7th round but it would be ridiculous for the Dolphins to draft a player who might be a three year project.

They already have one of those type first round picks in Iggy and they certainly don’t need to waste another high draft pick on a player who looks better running around in shorts than he looks actually playing the game.
Quarterback is so important that I think you can wait a couple of years.

If Miami is looking to compete in 2021, I would go in another direction than Oweh early, even though I'm intrigued by his athletic skill set.

...Based on what I kno from last year this is going to be a ball control offence that is not going to Will the game away by conceding TOs - or attempt a lot of long throws just because they want to take the top off the D

Based on the new QB’s skill set I think they want the ball out fast with few TOs and intend to break down the opponent’s will gashing them on long Drives with a few more skill-players in tow we can gather more but they need did not have the horses to succeed with this plan over a full schedule

So? Something like Washington during Joe Gibbs' 1st tenure?

We need more offensive horsepower and to take advantage of the strengths of the draft. Upgrade with Pitts, WR, RB, OL. Rome wasn't built in a day.

the main reason bills win afc east is because they got best offensive in east conference. jets ,N.E and Dolphins got good defense..

Good Points! I’m not as sold on Allen as you are. He absolutely improved by quite a bit last year. But I saw many instances of those ill advised throws and poor decision that he made last season this season. The difference? They connected and actually worked. But I’ll advised non the less.

Also you better believe Diggs had a big role in his improvements. I strongly disagree with you there that Diggs is merely a spectator to the Allen show.

I agree that he is the best Qb in the division. Let see where Allen goes next season.

Lawson underwhelmed at the position. I have no problem in the team letting him go. But it’s imperative that we get another talent to replace him at that position. KVN...meh!

Ultimately the defense is good enough. Especially when you compare it to the defenses that were in the playoff. Hell you can make a case that our defense is/was better than the Super Bowl representative in KC. Certainly not Tampa.

Yet, KC went to the SB. Why? Offense! Offense! Offense!

That side of the ball is where we need to drastically improve. At bear minimum we need to come out of this draft with two WR/TE combination and a RB. Relying on Parker/Williams etc is fools gold. Hopefully, Flo and Co, are well aware of that and will protect themselves.

With those added weapons and better protection up front the offense side of the ball should improve.

I’m not worried about Tua that kid is destined to be great!
No disrespect intended for the great Stephon Diggs. I rated him out of college and said he would be a steal in the middle rounds. Always was impressed with him, and he has truly blossomed as a pro. Great player.

But watching Josh Allen last year and remembering him from his combine and rookie season ... it was really like night and day. In college and as a rookie you could see his mind trying to catch up to what his eyes were seeing ... and that slow processing time prevented him from making many on-time throws. He didn't read defenses worth a crap, and every decision he made was rushed. Sure, he had a cannon of an arm, quick release, big, strong, powerful, fast, quick, smooth athlete ... but his QB skills were lacking. He was only generally accurate and never really precise. He always arrived at his decisions late and forced it in there with a rifle throw. Sometimes it was accurate ... sometimes not. The strides he made every year were eye opening. But this past year he's seeing the play before it happens, and toying with defenses. He's throwing no-look passes, because he already knows what is going to happen, where every defender is going to be, and he's just waiting for the right time to release the ball. No more thinking, no more interpreting, no more processing ... he's just instinctively acting and naturally making the right decisions. He knows what he's going to do before he does it, and he looks effortless at it. His accuracy has improved dramatically, and I think it's most because of the fact he reads defenses so much better these days. The Bills really did a great job of grooming him. I only hope we do half as well at grooming Tua.

I'd love to think that Josh Allen will regress ... but he doesn't seem like a lazy, selfish or lucky guy. He seems like someone who has put in the work to learn the position and gained a newfound mastery of what he is asked to do. The running is instinctual, but it is his passing that really has been an eye opener. The light has finally come on for the kid ... he now "gets it." I think we're in for a long and painful career of Josh Allen excelling in Buffalo.

Spot on.

I have been banging this drum and ppl don't get it.

We are expecting a huge haul at the skill positions when in reality edge and C are our two biggest weaknesses.

Get your TE or WR at 6. Then two edges players PLEASE or Josh Allen will run around and eat ham sandwiches all day.
I'm really hoping we can add OLB/DE Charles Snowden out of the University of Virginia. He's got everything we're looking for but will take a year of seasoning/bulking up before he starts. I would love to get him as our rotational guy for 2021 and starter edge for 2022. I think he's going to go somewhere in the 3rd to 5th round range. My guess would be round 3. He's a 1st round talent if he were healthy and 250 lbs.

I do want to add that the last game against the bills is something that every player attributed towards. We had issues across offense, defense and special teams. This is on the team collectively not being ready for the moment. I don't expect that again but definitely need to improve and at the very minimum split the series between us and the Bills.

Back
Top Bottom