Overtaking Buffalo, the Next Step in Miami's Progression | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Overtaking Buffalo, the Next Step in Miami's Progression

Just a small disagreement. NE's O is based on the QB diagnosing the D and making proper reads. Not many vet QBs can do that like TB. No chance a rookie can do that. I'm one who thinks NE will be better with the covid guys back, but lack of a NE-style QB can't be overemphasized.
As far as BUF, they are quite good, but I don't see them as a long-term dominant team.
Not disagreeing with that statement. But, IMHO, BB's teams have always been based on defense and ball security. He's like an improved version of Marty Schottenheimer ... except BB also is willing to cheat. When you play sound defense, don't turn over the ball, get most of the questionable calls, and field a team that executes well .... your'e gonna win a lot of games.

Josh Allen's improved mechanics, helped him with his accuracy issues. The near interceptions are part of the game, every QB throws them. Allen just had more near misses. It doesn't make him a bad QB. He's becoming the heart and soul of the Buffalo Bills. The AFC East goes through him. Miami needs to find a way to consistently stop him. Once they do that, the East will be Miami's for the taking.

Hope Miami can add two of Pitts, Smith, Chase, Waddle, Moore, Marshall, and Bateman.

Absolutely need at least one of them. Realistically, it'll probably be only one. I think it'd be a wasted opportunity. These WR's are much, much better bets than you get most years - both in terms of floor and ceiling - and Pitts is, of course, as special/rare as it gets. Pitts + Smith or E. Moore is the dream.

If it's only one, though, T. Jenkins is player I want at 18. Really good RT with elite athleticism and physicality. The right side of the OL would be set for years. I guess it's possible that Moore, Marshall, or Bateman could be there at 36, but I kinda doubt it, and I wouldn't count on it.

Payton Turner is the best fit at DE imo. Hard to say where he goes. Currently projected toward the back of the 3rd RD, I think Miami would at least have to use pick 50 to land him. Feel similarly about Elerson Smith. Projected in the 4th, but he's already pretty good and a great athlete with a good frame. I think both will end up being better than guys currently ranked ahead of them.

Hope Miami can add two of Pitts, Smith, Chase, Waddle, Moore, Marshall, and Bateman.

Absolutely need at least one of them. Realistically, it'll probably be only one. I think it'd be a wasted opportunity. These WR's are much, much better bets than you get most years - both in terms of floor and ceiling - and Pitts is, of course, as special/rare as it gets. Pitts + Smith or E. Moore is the dream.

If it's only one, though, T. Jenkins is player I want at 18. Really good RT with elite athleticism and physicality. The right side of the OL would be set for years. I guess it's possible that Moore, Marshall, or Bateman could be there at 36, but I kinda doubt it, and I wouldn't count on it.

Payton Turner is the best fit at DE imo. Hard to say where he goes. Currently projected toward the back of the 3rd RD, I think Miami would at least have to use pick 50 to land him. Feel similarly about Elerson Smith. Projected in the 4th, but he's already pretty good and a great athlete with a good frame. I think both will end up being better than guys currently ranked ahead of them.
I like the Teven Jenkins mention, projected right tackle, which as we know, is our left handed quarterbacks blind side. He’s 6-6 320 and projected as a second day guy. He’s rated the fifth best offensive tackle so I wouldn’t really expect him to go any earlier, maybe a reach at eighteen but right tackle is like a left tackle for us, so you never know. Got an aggressive streak in him that I would love to see here.

Not disagreeing with that statement. But, IMHO, BB's teams have always been based on defense and ball security. He's like an improved version of Marty Schottenheimer ... except BB also is willing to cheat. When you play sound defense, don't turn over the ball, get most of the questionable calls, and field a team that executes well .... your'e gonna win a lot of games.

I think we're close to agreement. I didn't mean to imply BB relied ONLY on a system-fit QB. Certainly he tried to maintain a top D (although some seem to discount D), and his players were assignment sound. Nonetheless, on O, the 'system' revolved around TB's ability to read Ds and move players/change plays as needed. Fans saw how that DIDN'T work with Cam. My point was, whether bringing in a vet or a rookie, getting the team up to 2018-2019 efficiency won't be as easy as just getting players back.

Don’t worry mckinney and Jerome baker got ya covered on this one 😂🤦

Last edited:
I think we're close to agreement. I didn't mean to imply BB relied ONLY on a system-fit QB. Certainly he tried to maintain a top D (although some seem to discount D), and his players were assignment sound. Nonetheless, on O, the 'system' revolved around TB's ability to read Ds and move players/change plays as needed. Fans saw how that DIDN'T work with Cam. My point was, whether bringing in a vet or a rookie, getting the team up to 2018-2019 efficiency won't be as easy as just getting players back.
Cam should be better in year 2. It was a big adjustment for him. Now he knows what is expected and how it is done in New England. I suspect he'll make a big stride in year 2. He can still throw and he's still a decent runner. He never was accurate, so the new TE's will help.

Cam should be better in year 2. It was a big adjustment for him. Now he knows what is expected and how it is done in New England. I suspect he'll make a big stride in year 2. He can still throw and he's still a decent runner. He never was accurate, so the new TE's will help.

You have more hope for him than I do. Better, yes. TB's mental quickness? We'll see

You have more hope for him than I do. Better, yes. TB's mental quickness? We'll see
Once teams took away their running game Newton showed some huge limitations as a passer. Some of those balls at the end of the year couldn't even reach their target. There is a reason he only got a year deal

Once teams took away their running game Newton showed some huge limitations as a passer. Some of those balls at the end of the year couldn't even reach their target. There is a reason he only got a year deal
Plus, it was for $5 million a year. Definitely backup money.

NE has to have a rookie in mind, maybe a deal up with Atlanta.

Newton probably starts early and, I agree with Digital, he should be better year two.

Jenkins is a good shout, I'm really starting to want to focus in on him, problem we face though is the depth of the edge class may force our hand early. I can't believe they will be comfortable waiting late for Smith or Turner in the 3rd/4th round, because they need a starter here and that's a big projection.

If we could pull this off I would be most comfortable with:

6. Pitts (TE/WR)
18. Jenkins (OT)
36. Phillips (DE)
50. Williams (RB)

We may need to flip Jenkins and Phillips around, depending on how the board is falling. I'm comfortable taking a chance on Williams being there at 50, if he's not taking Sermon at 81, rather than missing out on Phillips and Jenkins.

Jenkins is a good shout, I'm really starting to want to focus in on him, problem we face though is the depth of the edge class may force our hand early. I can't believe the will be comfortable waiting late for Smith or Turner in the 3rd/4th round, because they need a starter here and that's a big projection.

If we could pull this off I would be most comfortable with:

6. Pitts (TE/WR)
18. Jenkins (OT)
36. Phillips (DE)
50. Williams (RB)

We may need to flip Jenkins and Phillips around, depending on how the board is falling. I'm comfortable taking a chance on Williams being there at 50, if he's not taking Sermon at 81, rather than missing out on Phillips and Jenkins.

Phillips is a stud - best Edge in the class - but I'd pass Top 40. Just don't like betting on someone with his concussion history. I'd be fine drafting Turner or Smith at 36.

Back
Top Bottom