Parsons versus Sewell | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Parsons versus Sewell

You draft your highest rated player regardless of position.
I tend to agree that teams should just draft the best players, period, but I can't shake the importance of team-need and positional value completely. As a thought experiment, let's say you have Sewell as the highest rated player on your board. Your team has top-5 talent at both tackle spots, but has the worst WR core in the league. At your pick, Sewell and your highest-rated WR are still available. Who do you draft?

Great spot to be in!
Lawrence- Fields- Wilson - have flashed enough to increase the value at #3.

Sewell- is a generational talent at LT. Looking at a Joe Thomas - Orlando pace type level here.

Smith- becomes your WR1. Slight concern on that body type but Saban has had him on STs including punt coverage (don’t ask- different thread). Smith is a fluid -talented - tough SOB.

Parsons- best off ball LB since? Willis? Keuchly? Reuben Foster?

I’m happy with any of the above so a trade down 2-3 spots for an additional Rd2s 2021 & 2022. Sign me up.

Plus, there's a lot of talent at wide receiver in this draft.

I would love for Miami to get Smith and I don't doubt he's top 10. But if the Dolphins trade down a few spots, add a #1 pick for 2022 and end up with Chase, would any fan be disappointed?

Shouldn’t be. And I’m typically mr. anti WR guy, and at 3 I still am. Sewell’s been the top target for me all season so I’m not changing that now. I think he’s perfect for this team at this point.

Dream scenario for me is: Get Sewell at 4 instead of 3, via the Falcons, next years 2 and this years 5 will suffice. Then I’m immediately exploring trade up scenarios for Smith (or Chase after that).

Sewell doesn’t get past Cincy and Philly. I really hope both those teams win today.

Come on Tennessee, handle your business. Feed Henry, RT17 drop your over the top bombs on Houston and call it game by half time. I don’t want to sweat that game out while watching our game.

Now that Miami has a shot at the #3 overall pick, the team could have many choices. Trade down, take Sewell, take Parsons or maybe Smith/Chase.

Sewell is widely considered the best tackle prospect in many years. Parsons looks like a game changer at linebacker.

Wide receiver certainly could be in play, but for the sake of this discussion who would you take between Sewell or Parsons?
Good thread Brother!

Shouldn’t be. And I’m typically mr. anti WR guy, and at 3 I still am. Sewell’s been the top target for me all season so I’m not changing that now. I think he’s perfect for this team at this point.

Dream scenario for me is: Get Sewell at 4 instead of 3, via the Falcons, next years 2 and this years 5 will suffice. Then I’m immediately exploring trade up scenarios for Smith (or Chase after that).

Sewell doesn’t get past Cincy and Philly. I really hope both those teams win today.

Come on Tennessee, handle your business. Feed Henry, RT17 drop your over the top bombs on Houston and call it game by half time. I don’t want to sweat that game out while watching our game.
I like the discussion, but the more I think about it a trade down seems likely.

I love Sewell and Smith, but there should be big offers out there for Fields and Wilson. The question is how far would Miami be willing to trade?

I 100 percent agree. Not to always make the "Patriot Way" comparison, but Bill Bellichick has rarely taken a wide receiver in round 1 and that is the most successful franchise over the last 20 years. I say that because I think Flores may feel the same way.

I definitely want a wide receiver in the draft. Maybe even two of those first four picks. I do value the position and it's the biggest need for Miami. But I'm with you. Marshall is a player I really like as well and there's value well into the first round and maybe even R2.
When you are rebuilding this is the right strategy. This has been the grier way, and I love him for this past draft. But we've turned a corner. At this point we need a few blue-chippers vs. lots of above-average players. Esp at WR. You can get stuck looking at value and miss the forest before the trees in the arc of building a championship franchise.

Daryl Morey of the Rockets talked about this, the need to 'overpay' when you are a few pieces away. I hope Grier has this gear in his game.

For me, if MIA keeps the pick and doesn’t trade down for whatever reasons, they have to take an offensive player. That player should be Sewell or whomever they have rated as the very best offensive play maker.

I’ve seen THREE receivers ranked in the top 10 best available players according to the likes of Kiper, McShay, Shefter, etc. So the notion of not drafting a WR top 10 seems more like old school thinking rather than changing with the times.

Naysayers like to talk about depth at the position versus others, but IDC about any of that. I’m only interest in drafting the best talent possible when the opportunity is presented. Of course if MIA can move down the draft board to still get the talent they want thus maximize and increase assets, I’m all for that too.

But IMO the primary focus of this draft should be on the offensive side of the ball. That’s where talent is mostly and desperately needed. Especially at the skill positions.

No chance I’m passing on Sewell or Smith at #3 for the luxury of adding Parsons to the defense. Now if they can manage to trade down a few spots and add an extra 2nd rounder or two (plus some 2022 picks) I’d be far more OK with taking Parsons in the top 10. Because at least the extra picks would give MIA a shot at some potentially elite skill talent in the 2nd round.

But without a trade down and added picks, I’m only in favor of offensive talent with the first couple selections.

For me, if MIA keeps the pick and doesn’t trade down for whatever reasons, they have to take an offensive player. That player should be Sewell or whomever they have rated as the very best offensive play maker.

I’ve seen THREE receivers ranked in the top 10 best available players according to the likes of Kiper, McShay, Shefter, etc. So the notion of not drafting a WR top 10 seems more like old school thinking rather than changing with the times.

Naysayers like to talk about depth at the position versus others, but IDC about any of that. I’m only interest in drafting the best talent possible when the opportunity is presented. Of course if MIA can move down the draft board to still get the talent they want thus maximize and increase assets, I’m all for that too.

But IMO the primary focus of this draft should be on the offensive side of the ball. That’s where talent is mostly and desperately needed. Especially at the skill positions.

No chance I’m passing on Sewell or Smith at #3 for the luxury of adding Parsons to the defense. Now if they can manage to trade down a few spots and add an extra 2nd rounder or two (plus some 2022 picks) I’d be far more OK with taking Parsons in the top 10. Because at least the extra picks would give MIA a shot at some potentially elite skill talent in the 2nd round.

But without a trade down and added picks, I’m only in favor of offensive talent with the first couple selections.
are you working off the assumption that Miami does nothing on offense in free agency? Just curious.

Based upon my very simplistic thoughts of building a team from the lines up starting with the OL, I'm going to answer the original question with Sewell.

There are no perfect prospects.

Sewell is probably being over-rated right now as if he were perfect but there are flaws in his game. He too often is off-balance and gets away with it due to his superior athleticism. In the NFL he won't have that athletic advantage. He's also not as dominant in the run game as some profess, He's good, but his run blocking is nothing generational or dominant.

Chase was the best WR in college football two seasons ago. But he's not great at getting separation on short and intermediate routes. His size is good, but not elite.

Smith was the best WR in college football this season. But some have concerns that his weight will be an issue at the next level with either injuries, press or playing through contact. (Although if Smith puts on 20 lbs at the next level and keeps his speed and everything else the same, it would be very difficult to find any fault in him. And a 22 year old putting on 20 lbs in the next couple of years is probably more likely than not).

Parsons is an explosive player, but he's not a great pass rusher and there are maturity questions with him at both HS and college levels.

That being said, I wouldn't complain if Grier/Flores picked any of those four. They are all great prospects. My personal preference is Sewell or Smith. I think we focused heavily (and more successfully) on the defense last season and need to do more on the offensive side. That really shouldn't be a surprise as defenses generally come together more quickly and Flores specifically, is a defensive coach. And frankly opt outs and injuries at WR and FA misses at RB left the offense devoid of play-makers. We did invest on the OL last season, but generally OLs take time to develop both as individuals and units.

The biggest bang for our buck is going to be on offense with either better protection or better targets, IMO Sewell would further strengthen the OL and is arguably the best non-QB prospect in the draft. But I kind of expect that our OL will improve next season regardless assuming everybody returns. WR is the bigger need and Smith is the best fit. We may get some improvement at WR if Wilson comes back and Bowden develops or Williams develops and stays healthy, but all that seems less certain and without a ton of upside.

I don't think there's any way Sewell gets past Cincy at #5 as he's their best fit. Smith may or may not drop some. IMO he's at worst among the top 3 non-QB prospects in the draft, but WRs often drop on draft day and there are 3 top WR prospects. While I have Smith as a the best and more importantly, the best fit, Chase is a great prospect and Waddle is really good too. IMO Waddle is a more complete version of Ruggs. They both have great speed, but Waddle is better at catching the ball through contact. Waddle can high point the ball unlike many "just speed" guys. Waddle didn't run the full route tree in college, but I don't think he's not capable of it. Obviously whenever somebody hasn't done something it's more of a question mark and lowers a prospect's grade. There is the fear that Waddle will just be a slot guy or speed guy in the pros, but there's at least potential that he could be more.

I don't see a FA WR that is likely to be a Smith for us. I also don't think it would be wise to spend big FA $ on a WR. I do think they may possibly go for a Curtis Samuel type (25 years old, slot WR, market value about $10ml/per according to Spotrac). He would be a great compliment to Smith and Parker and wouldn't be as high of a contract risk.

Back
Top Bottom