Parsons versus Sewell | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Parsons versus Sewell

Devanta Smith is on his pure hype train right. And that’s good. But he’s got his nicks coming.
How are you so sure Devonta Smith can be gotten in a trade down? Mel Kiper has him ranked #4 in the draft, he just collected one "best player in college football" award and he very well may collect the Heisman too.

To me, the only situation that would fit the idea you trade back and still take Devonta Smith would be if you legit scared the Bengals into thinking you're taking Penei Sewell, and so they come calling to trade up to the #3 pick, and so you end up slipping back to #5.

But that's getting pretty cute.

it’s not nearly as “cute” as you’re suggesting, I simply think you’re allowing yourself to focus on the positives and ignoring the very real asterisk here. AP player of the year and a Heisman hopeful... in an incomplete season. It’s still impressive for sure, but I really don’t see (or hear, more importantly) that D Smith is a genuine top 5 selection.

Then again - it’s early. Just scouts and assistants talkin **** with agents. Hopefully more concrete stuff comes with time, as it always does, but I’m in that corner as well.

there’s no question to me you could trade to 6 and get Smith or Chase. Guess we will see! That’s the fun part!

are you working off the assumption that Miami does nothing on offense in free agency? Just curious.

I wouldn’t say ”nothing”, but I don’t expect them to spend crazy money either. With reports of the cap going down, and planning ahead for their own free agents to be, I don’t think they are going to be aggressive.

I know Allen Robinson has been a popular name around FH, but I believe he’ll cost too much. I suppose a player like Curtis Samuel might be a possibility, but even he might command too much in this world of a shrinking cap.

I’m not a big Curtis Samuel fan but they did feature an h back a lot towards the end of the year. We already have a Samuel type in Bowden, however Samuel is significantly faster imo

Devanta Smith is on his pure hype train right. And that’s good. But he’s got his nicks coming.

it’s not nearly as “cute” as you’re suggesting, I simply think you’re allowing yourself to focus on the positives and ignoring the very real asterisk here. AP player of the year and a Heisman hopeful... in an incomplete season. It’s still impressive for sure, but I really don’t see (or hear, more importantly) that D Smith is a genuine top 5 selection.

Then again - it’s early. Just scouts and assistants talkin **** with agents. Hopefully more concrete stuff comes with time, as it always does, but I’m in that corner as well.

there’s no question to me you could trade to 6 and get Smith or Chase. Guess we will see! That’s the fun part!
DeVonta Smith deserves every accolade but to your point, guys like Sewell, Parsons and Chase did not play and Waddle got hurt and that would have cut into his production.

Hell Sewell got a Heisman vote as a Sophomore OT last year.

Waddle got hurt and that would have cut into his production.

You can choose to look at the Waddle factor a couple different ways. IMO you’ve chosen a glass is half empty POV.

Another way to look at it is, without Waddle in the lineup to draw attention, Smith became much more of the defensive focus in terms of the passing game. Yet still managed monster production.

If Waddle had been in the lineup, he surely would have had his share of targets but also would have taken extra attention away from Smith thus possibly making him even more effective despite less touches.

For me, I find it most impressive that Smith was able to excel to the level he did against the competition he did all w/o a player of Waddle’s ability and experience next to him. That says something to me.

Sure, Bama had other blue chippers but none ready to fill Waddle’s shoes just yet. Smith was the clear cut #1 offensive pass threat. Every defense knew it. Game planned for it . Yet still couldn’t slow him down much.

If you need a laugh, CBS Sportsline has Parsons falling to us at #18.

Also, where did all the Draft Forum stickied threads go?

Last edited:
DeVonta Smith deserves every accolade but to your point, guys like Sewell, Parsons and Chase did not play and Waddle got hurt and that would have cut into his production.

Hell Sewell got a Heisman vote as a Sophomore OT last year.
One might argue that Smith stepping up after Waddle went down HELPS his resume.

Sure he got more targets but he also got more defensive attention.

His play after Waddle got hurt has been off the charts.

You can choose to look at the Waddle factor a couple different ways. IMO you’ve chosen a glass is half empty POV.

Another way to look at it is, without Waddle in the lineup to draw attention, Smith became much more of the defensive focus in terms of the passing game. Yet still managed monster production.

If Waddle had been in the lineup, he surely would have had his share of targets but also would have taken extra attention away from Smith thus possibly making him even more effective despite less touches.

For me, I find it most impressive that Smith was able to excel to the level he did against the competition he did all w/o a player of Waddle’s ability and experience next to him. That says something to me.

Sure, Bama had other blue chippers but none ready to fill Waddle’s shoes just yet. Smith was the clear cut #1 offensive pass threat. Every defense knew it. Game planned for it . Yet still couldn’t slow him down much.
I don't want to give the wrong impression. I think Smith is a stud, he has played with 3 different QB's, played with other studs and as the "man". So I definitely love him as a prospect.

One might argue that Smith stepping up after Waddle went down HELPS his resume.

Sure he got more targets but he also got more defensive attention.

His play after Waddle got hurt has been off the charts.
No doubt but he definitely would not have the same stats. Waddle was putting up some numbers himself. This season has brought him from a late 1st round prospect to a sure fire top 5-10 guy.

Love this post. Smith's production after Waddle's injury was impressive.

Still feel like the sweet spot for him is 6-7 overall, but #3 isn't that big of a stretch if Miami has to have him.

If Miami 100% believe tua is the guy for the next 3 yrs, you draft Sewell at 3 , wr at 18, rb and center 2nd round.

Back
Top Bottom