Phillip Rivers' Bowl Game at 5:30 on ESPN | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Phillip Rivers' Bowl Game at 5:30 on ESPN

Also they said he is Danny Woeful what's your point.

And I personally think Rivers will be torn to pieces by coaches at the Senior Bowl affecting his stock some. I am more than happy to be proven wrong - I think there will be a pretty even split on his talents. But I hate when people jump on the bandwagon because a guy looks good against a poor team and are ready to declare him to Canton when the difference in college/pro football is huge especially at QB. Cottchery is a nice late day 1 guy. I prefer going with the polished guys like Lee Evans or Rashaun Woods in R1 and then someone like Purdue's John Standeford in the latter rounds.

Originally posted by Boomer
I prefer going with the polished guys like Lee Evans or Rashaun Woods in R1 and then someone like Purdue's John Standeford in the latter rounds.

I like Clayton, Woods, and Evans in round 1, there are tons of prospects in the later rounds. However, I DO remember you knocking Lee Evans earlier in the month.

With all due respect there isn't one person on here that can say with 100% percent accuracy that Rivers will or will not be a good pro QB, so stop with the annoying habit of presenting your opinions as fact.

Boomer, this post is not directed towards you. You use words like 'I think" or "IMO" and are much more tolerant of others who have a different opinion than yourself.

IMO it seems that you are directing this to me. No it's just my opinion that Rivers does not have the arm to be an NFL QB atleast in any system I can think of. Garcia is able to do it because he has fantastic mobility that Rivers definitely does not.

Watching him now ( and I don't watch college football) He definately doesn't follow through on his throws. He kind of tip toes it and throws of of a flat foot instead of stepping through and firing. He seems like a tall kid which in my opinion is good, It allows for him to throw over the top easier without it getting knocked down. He does have some nice touch ion the ball as well. He dropped a potential TD pass right where only his tight end could get it. The problem came from excellent coverage and lack of catching on the recievers part. He does seem sort of statuelike, which with our current line won't due him any good. However, any qb's that are in the running to go in the first round have got to have some talent in them.

You see how much better it sounds when you present your opinion AS your opinion??? It's a much less insulting post.

IMO, Tom Brady and Chad Pennington, both prove that a big arm isn't as important as accuracy.

Phillip Rivers is gonna be the next great NFL QB.

Quick Release like Marino
Calls his own plays an changes the plays like Peyton Manning.
Mobile like Steve Mcnair
Arm strength thats pretty good
and accurate.

when it's all said and done PR Might be the best QB in the NFL of the 2004 NFL draft.

His arm is not pretty good. Maybe good enough for college. But that is exactly how Woeful's arm looked in college and it proved he could not do it. No Pennington does not have a great arm, but it is enough. So is Brady. This guy has not thrown one spiral.

It's simply an overrated opinion that arm strength does not matter. It does look at all the Florida QBs, they did not have enough arm. Look at Josh Heupel. Yes I know you do not need a Brett Favre arm, although it is a plus, but you do need a certain level of an arm. And it is obvious that Rivers does not have the arm. Go compare old video of Pennington and Rivers right now. Pennington's arm was stronger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Jaj
His arm is not pretty good. Maybe good enough for college. But that is exactly how Woeful's arm looked in college and it proved he could not do it. No Pennington does not have a great arm, but it is enough. So is Brady. This guy has not thrown one spiral.

are you watching the game? the guy is hitting every pass. he looks awesome... his arm strength is fine. i would bet you he throws it father then pennington any day of the week and twice on sunday.

Yes I am watching this game. For God sake look at who he is playing against. No his arm strength is not fine and maybe he is hitting every pass, again so was Woeful.

McNair has more mobility than that, quite a bit more especially when he was coming out of college. His release is about as fast as Woeful's was and facts are facts even his TD throw was not strong enough. Besides if you want someone to stretch the field you want a better arm than this.

Blueprint, in my opinion, there is NO WAY that Rivers is mobile like Steve McNair - that is flat out ridiculous. And I'm not sure what you've seen in him that makes you think he's better than Roethlisberger or Manning.

Chambers - I did indeed talk about Lee Evans, but not about his lack of skills. He's as polished and breakaway as there is in the draft. I just questioned his height and said that I wouldn't be surprised if he measured in around the 5'9 mark. I think he'd be atremendous pick for us, I just have a few concerns about the height thing.

Originally posted by Jaj
Yes I am watching this game. For God sake look at who he is playing against. No his arm strength is not fine and maybe he is hitting every pass, again so was Woeful.

McNair has more mobility than that, quite a bit more especially when he was coming out of college. His release is about as fast as Woeful's was and facts are facts even his TD throw was not strong enough. Besides if you want someone to stretch the field you want a better arm than this.

OK... his TD's wern't strong enough? they're right on the money. what do you want him to do? throw it 30 yards in front of him to prove it? the WR caught it right in stride.

you're obviously bias against him. i'm not commenting on who he's playing.. but what he's doing. if the team he was playing was great he would be having a bad game. if not for penatlies and all that other junk the score would be WELL out of hand by halftime.

Originally posted by Boomer
Blueprint, in my opinion, there is NO WAY that Rivers is mobile like Steve McNair - that is flat out ridiculous.

i was reffering to in the pocket, since Mcnair is nto a scrambling QB. obviously mcnair is a much better runner, but he just doesn't do it. watch him in the pocket...

Bias against him? Why would I be. I am flat out telling you that his arm strength is not enough. That was a lob over hit the receiver in stride fine. But can he do it when a Pro Bowl DE is coming at him and Ty Law is covering Chambers? Ty Law would pick it off.

Roethlisberger was far more impressive in his bowl game and he does not have a Jerrico Cotchery on his team.

The only thing I wonder is if his release was changed and he stepped into his passes he might have the arm.

Back
Top Bottom