Post-free agency draft updates (visits, reported targets etc) | Page 30 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Post-free agency draft updates (visits, reported targets etc)

Well I think he'll definitely need a learning curve so that negates an early round selection for me. I also keep hearing that a smart DC with a flexible scheme will know what to do with him but have yet to see any suggestions other than that simplistic explanation.

I disagree about the learning curve. My only questions about him were athletically and those got answered and then some at the combine. This isn't some kid that came out of no where. This was a top rated prospect coming out of high school who excelled wherever Michigan put him ... and that was freakin everywhere. And let's not forget that he was an integral part in transforming what had been a struggling defense. Guys like Lewis and Wormley were key role players. Peppers was the one that made the whole thing work. Of course Harbaugh gets credit, but I'll get to that next.

I do not understand the simplistic explanation blurb. It's not like you didn't just get an entire college career for reference. You got to see an entire college and pro career for Polamalu ... a guy he is constantly compared to. That's how you get the most out of players who can be used like that. Good coaches typically have flexible schemes that effectively incorporate versatile players. A wide 9 is a pretty rigid (yes, and outdated) scheme that does not allow a player like Peppers to shine ... especially when you already have Jones on the roster. So his value isn't quite what it should be for this current team if we're gonna use a high pick and stick him in a box, short term speaking. I feel the same way about the pass rushing LBers like Watt and Bowser ... who won't be used correctly here. Just because they can, doesn't necessarily mean they should. Am I being obtuse are you just being mean for no reason again? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree about the learning curve. My only questions about him were athletically and those got answered and then some at the combine. This isn't some kid that came out of no where. This was a top rated prospect coming out of high school and excelled wherever Michigan put him ... and that was freakin everywhere. And let's not forget that he was an integral part in transforming what had been a struggling defense. Guys like Lewis and Wormley were key role players. Peppers was the one that made the whole thing work. Of course Harbaugh gets credit, but I'll get to that next.

I do not understand the simplistic explanation blurb. It's not like you didn't just get an entire college career for reference. You got to see an entire college and pro career for Polamalu ... a guy he is constantly compared to. That's how you get the most out of players who can be used like that. Good coaches typically have flexible schemes that effectively incorporate versatile players. A wide 9 is a pretty rigid (yes, and outdated) scheme that does not allow a player like Peppers to shine ... especially when you already have Jones on the roster. So his value isn't quite what it should be for this current team, short term speaking. Am I being obtuse are you just being mean for no reason again? :lol:

The "simplistic explanation" was not directed at you at all, just a general statement that I keep hearing concerning him with no semi-definitive answers on how, why or where he should be used. He'll most certainly need a learning curve and absolutely if someone plays him at FS. As far as being an integral part of that defense. Yes, he was, but Don Brown gets the most overall credit for turning that unit around. Harbough should thank his lucky stars he reeled him in as DC.

The "simplistic explanation" was not directed at you at all, just a general statement that I keep hearing concerning him with no semi-definitive answers on how, why or where he should be used. He'll most certainly need a learning curve and absolutely if someone plays him at FS. As far as being an integral part of that defense. Yes, he was, but Don Brown gets the most overall credit for turning that unit around. Harbough should thank his lucky stars he reeled him in as DC.

I don't want him stuck in a box at FS in this defense either. Williams as a center fielder makes way more sense. But we won't employ it forever, hopefully. And asking for a better contract every year is gonna get real old once Jones is over 30 (tick tick tick). I just don't like missing out on *what I think* are really good prospects because we're stuck in neutral ... and then watching said prospects ball out for other teams.

Good coaches typically find a way to get good coordinators. All that **** plays off of and feeds into each other. It's something to keep an eye on with Gase.

Totally thought you were being dismissive. My bad yo. :lol:

I don't want him stuck in a box at FS in this defense either. Williams as a center fielder makes way more sense. But we won't employ it forever, hopefully. And asking for a better contract every year is gonna get real old once Jones is over 30 (tick tick tick). I just don't like missing out on *what I think* are really good prospects because we're stuck in neutral ... and then watching said prospects ball out for other teams.

Good coaches typically find a way to get good coordinators. All that **** plays off of and feeds into each other. It's something to keep an eye on with Gase.

It's hard to decipher sarcasm so I just label myself an asshole to make it easy. :chuckle:

In this case I wasn't be either and was just looking for a legitimate discussion on how to deploy him. Good pt on Jones nearing the end of his career and needing a future replacement. Just not a fan of Peppers in general other than being a great athlete with solid character. Unfortunately there's a lot of those types that don't make it as professional football players. May or not be the case for him depending on the coaching staff and their patience.

so heres the question. regardless of what you think about a player. does a dulited sample take him off your board?

It really depends on the player and the situation. Someone like Reuben Foster, for example, fills a huge need and is a top 3-5 talent in this draft. I'd take him without hesitation at 22.

Now if a guy in the 22 range on my board (Taco Charlton for example) has the same issues.... I'd probably bump a Charles Harris ahead.

Assuming that SoS is being dismissive is never a bad guess. Just sayin'. :chuckle:

It's hard to decipher sarcasm so I just label myself an asshole to make it easy. :chuckle:

In this case I wasn't be either and was just looking for a legitimate discussion on how to deploy him. Good pt on Jones nearing the end of his career and needing a future replacement. Just not a fan of Peppers in general other than being a great athlete with solid character. Unfortunately there's a lot of those types that don't make it as professional football players. May or not be the case for him depending on the coaching staff and their patience.

I'd put him at strong in a blitz heavy zone scheme if it were me. Let him rove and use that high level physicality, anticipation, and awareness to your advantage. Make the offense have to account for him. For someone who understands how important it is to disguise defenses pre snap to confuse the offense, I'm kinda surprised you're so down on him. In terms of how he fits here I get it, but as a prospect he has the potential to be a game changer.

I'd put him at strong in a blitz heavy zone scheme if it were me. Let him rove and use that high level physicality, anticipation, and awareness to your advantage. Make the offense have to account for him. For someone who understands how important it is to disguise defenses pre snap to confuse the offense, I'm kinda surprised you're so down on him. In terms of how he fits here I get it, but as a prospect he has the potential to be a game changer.

I don't see those traits in him. :idk: He's got great off the field intangibles but I don't see a great or even very good defender. That's why I see him as a potential starter at best, more likely a developmental player for a short time, who's main and immediate value is special teams. And the only game changing plays he ever made was when the ball was in his hands, not when he was trying to dislodge it or take it away from someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
[TWEET]856670276846845958[/TWEET]

[TWEET]856670276846845958[/TWEET]

Seems like we are looking hard at linebackers and safeties as potential picks at 54. Color me surprised by the lack of pass rushers on that list. I honestly think that's to throw the rest of the league off the trail, and that's where we go in the 1st round barring a surprising player like Hooker dropping.

The first round is typically where teams draft players that weren't particularly a part of the pre-draft visits as guys fall that you didn't expect to. I think you'll definitely see guys from that list in rounds 2-7. I don't like putting a huge emphasis on who they brought in as far as first round prospects are concerned.

Glad there's interest in Taco at least.

MattyI (a great follow if you are a Fin fan) posted this as guys he thinks are in play at 22 with the highlighted guys as people he think will be gone.

C-QZp3FWAAIRBKB.jpg

So based on his belief the available guys are Lamp, Taco, Willis, Davis, Bowser, and Melifonwu. For discussion purposes how does everybody feel about that

MattyI (a great follow if you are a Fin fan) posted this as guys he thinks are in play at 22 with the highlighted guys as people he think will be gone.

C-QZp3FWAAIRBKB.jpg

So based on his belief the available guys are Lamp, Taco, Willis, Davis, Bowser, and Melifonwu. For discussion purposes how does everybody feel about that

I think that's pretty accurate, even in a trade down scenario.

Even Dion Jordan was smart enough to pass a SCHEDULED drug test at the combine....Pepper and Foster would not be on my board after that fiasco. The test at the combine was an intelligence test more so than a drug test.

Back
Top Bottom