Predicting The Dolphins 2018 Win Total | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Predicting The Dolphins 2018 Win Total

I really like the Fins offense and its potential...

The defense has the potential to be very good, BUT games will have to follow a certain script in order for them to have success. Problem is, its not a script Fins games have usually taken very often lately.

This defense could flat out dominate on obvious passing downs, it's now got good pass rushing options and depth on both sides of their formation on top of a faster unit overall. Quinn, McMillan and Fitzpatrick are players that will thrive in the passing game.

Problems will start to show when teams are in no rush to get up the field, where they can afford to run the ball for 3 yards and use PA effectively. Fins dont have the middle of the defense to shut down good balanced teams who can run the ball effectively. Most of their potential game breakers are very inexperienced, Im looking at Fitz, McMillan, Harris, Baker... All guys that need to play good football consistently in order for the defense to take a leap from wost to at the very least decent...

I think its pretty optimistic to expect ALL of your rookies and new aquisitions to work out year #1, and only 2-3/5 is not going to cut it, at least not in 2018... I mean I really like where they are heading, but I realize there's going to be growing pains and that this might take more than one season...

2018 is all on Gase and his offense in 2018, start games fast and score consistently in the 1st half of games, getting the D in a favorable situation, and the Fins will surprise alot of people. 10-6

If on the other hand, they get in alot of close games, well, it's going to be a long season IMO...

Last edited:
I don’t agree with many of your reasons you present as facts but they’re truly your opinion.

...And that's all it is...my opinion...I don't agree with your dline and wr opinion AND everything I believe is, at best, speculation not really fact..

But I believe based on the changes made we will be a contender at the very least

you have to realise that a lot of those are unknowns? Do you believe all of those will show up to be true?

I do realize the unknowns and I still believe these will show up....

We have ALL seen stranger things happen...we have the pieces in place to make a difference ….time will tell

Keep in mind the thread title...it's all about prediction.....

I don't see the improvements of the teams we face to be more or better than what we have done this off season....we sucked last year and still won 6 games...strength of schedule doesn't scare me

If I am way off base...Oh well.....I like what I see

Negative they beat the Jaguars 2X the Seahawks and the Chiefs thats 3 teams with a winning record they beat including the 2nd best defense in the NFL twice. Most teams are flawed, but they did go 9-7 two consecutive seasons with Mike Mularkey as their HC that counts for something.
I wouldn't begrudge them losing to the Pats at Foxboro given that we are 0-6 there.

And Tannehill has had the benefit of a better run game. You do realize before the Phins went 8-5 with Tannehill in 2016 they went 6-10 the previous year with Tannehill? Didn't we add a declining Frank Gore, and Josh Sitton-Gore a 35 year old HB is more likely to fall off over a 33 year old WR in Nelson, and Sitton in on his 3rd team in 4 years, that's pretty much journeyman status. Plus they still have this guy Amari Cooper who is better than any WR we have. Dude we had a worse defense than the Raiders last year and on top of that lost our best defender in Suh.

Now I'm not saying these teams are head and shoulders above us but all 3 could be between 6-10 and 10-6 and it wouldn't be shocking. All 3 have flaws and have had questionable coaching. Both Mariota and Tannehill have had 3 coaches while Carr is on his 4th. We all make excuses for Tannehill but believe no other QB deserves the same which is weird. As far as Im concerned all 3 teams are in the same boat and have a lot of questions going into the 2018 season to include questions about their QB's.

My mistake. Ok so they only beat two playoff teams. They were still a 9-7 team with a negative point differential. I don't begrudge them getting destroyed in Foxboro. Only thing that it proves is that they were not a legit Super Bowl caliber team. The 2017 Titans were a slightly above average team that played against a weaker schedule with Mariota starting in 15 of 16 games. I don't see them being that much better in 2018 especially when they will be playing what looks like a much tougher schedule. Probably a 7 to 9 win team. Mike Mularkey is a below average head coach but who's to say Mike Vrabel is going to be any better? Let's see him prove it first. I see them losing to the Dolphins in week 1.

The Dolphins went 6-10 in 2015 with an awful Joe Philbin and an unproven Dan Campbell as their head coaches. While not a great head coach I would take Jack Del Rio over either of those guys. Only thing that matters to me is the last time Tannehill started for the Dolphins current Head Coach on what I see as a less talented team their record was 8-5. Last time Derek Carr started for his current team they were 6-9. Will Gruden improve over what Del Rio did? I don't know, maybe. He was a good coach but hasn't coached since '08. Will Carr bounce back and will the Raiders team be improved? Probably, but I don't think they will be the juggernaut some are making them out to be. Probably a 7 to 10 win team.

Difference between Gore and Nelson is that Nelson is expected to be one of the Raiders starting outside WRs. Gore is going to split carries with Drake getting the bulk of the work IMO. You can call Sitton a journeyman if you want. Doesn't change the fact that he is still rated one of the best at his position by most reputable sources. Sitton was still playing at a high level in 2017 while Jordy Nelson was showing obvious signs of decline including losing some of his burst that once made him a deep vertical threat. Yes I have heard of Amari Cooper. He was on that Raiders team with Derek Carr that went 6-10 last season. That doesn't mean the Raiders offense is going to be better than the Dolphins offense in 2018. Also I will say right now that IMO the Dolphins defense has much more talent than that Raiders defense even without Suh. I guess we will see in week 3 though.

I know all three teams have question marks. Lots of them. The funny thing to me is that most people, including many here, are giving those other two teams the benefit of the doubt while completely discounting the Dolphins. IMO ,of course I am a little biased, I believe out of those 3 teams the Dolphins have more young talent and upside. I would rank them Dolphins, Titans, then Raiders. Since the Dolphins play both teams, this will be settled on the field in 2018.

Sep 9 Titans: W...I have heard the players, to the coaches are extremely excited to start season, after last year, they will come out for blood. 1-0

Sep 16 @ Jets: W...Miami wants to reach the playoffs, and to do so, they have to beat the teams that are rebuilding, even in their home. 2-0

Sep 23 Raiders: W...Though this seems like fantasy, I believe if Miami is as good as I think, and Gase is as good a HC as I think, they are fully able to win their 1st 3 games, and get that 3rd game at home against the Raiders (Who they should have beat last year, if not for Cutler). 3-0

Sep 30 @ Patriots: L.... Miami will be going into the Patriots with a 3 game winning streak, Belichick will be a bit nervous, which will make him even more dangerous, Miami will lose, but unlike years past, where Bill made sure to run up the score to make a point, this will be a much closer game then Bill will hope for.
3-1

Oct 7 @ Bengals: W...Miami will go into Bengals country looking to get themselves a Tiger rug after the loss to the Patriots, they will win in a close one. 4-1

Oct 14 Bears: W...Another game Miami is supposed to win, and absolutely need to win to feel good about their chances to reach the playoff with the impending 2nd half of the season. 5-1

Oct 21 Lions: W...This game could be very dangerous, but I believe if no huge injuries have occurred, Gase will have them very focused. 6-1

Oct 25 @ Texans: L...A brutal game to play in Houston after playing a very tough game against the Lions only four days earlier. 6-2

Nov 4 Jets: W...Miami will refocus from the past week loss with a hugevwin against the Jets as they sweep them. 7-2

Nov 11 @ Packers: L...The Packers at home are very tough to beat, add to that they will again be in a playoff hunt, and Miami will have a too much to overcome with the Rodgers effect. 7-3

Bye

Nov 25 @ Colts: Coming off the Bye, Miami will be very focused in their goal, and the 1st Victim will be the Colts (W/ Luck or Not), added prediction, if Luck does play, Tannehill will severely out play him, as by this time, Ryan will be feeling very comfortable. 8-3

Dec 2 Bills: W...Hey Bills, remember how you swept the Cutler led Dolphins last year? Well the Dolphins do, and this could get very ugly if the Bills are struggling. 9-3

Dec 9 Patriots: W...So what normally happens when the Patriots go into Miami when the Dolphins are pretty much healthy (heck, what happens when at times they are not that healthy also). This is not the Dolphins of old, so...10-3

Dec 16 @ Vikings: L...Though I believe this coming years Dolphin team will be special, the Viking will be tough, and in Minny, it will be even tougher. 10-4

Dec 23 Jaguars: W...This could be just as easy a loss, and even thought about putting this as a loss, but though the Jags D will be one of the best Miami will face, I also believe this years version of the Dolphins D will surprise many, which will then fall on who has the better passing and running game, here Miami at home will have the advantage. 11-4

Dec 30 @ Bills: L...Though Miami does get revenge for last year's sweep of the team, this is still a Bills team that has Miami's number...especially in Buffalo. 11-5
Wow that is pretty much exactly how I see the season going. You picked each game the way I did. Would be great to sweep the Bills but then they would probably lose to the Jaguars. Either way 11-5 is what I have them going. Could lose or win another game. Could see them anywhere between 9 to 12 wins.

2016 We went 10-6. Last year doesn’t count. Too many distractions and injuries. Shall I list them. Hurricane, Timmons AWOL, traveled 100,000 000 miles before first home game, no bye week, more injuries, Maluga Arrested, OL Coach snorts coke, JAY FREEKIN CUTLER. We still won 6. Wow. We lost Jarvis, Suh and Pouncy. We gained Amedola, Wilson, 2 TE in draft don’t sleep on Derby), Sitton, Kilgore, Spence, Quinn, McMillan, don’t sleep on grant, Gore and yes Ryan 100.6 QB rating year 1 under Gase last 8 games 8-5 record. Now tell me how this team is not better than the 2016 team and we can’t be optimistic about 9-10 wins. If you watch football and if you watch the Miami Dolphins and you know we are not going to force the ball to 2 cry baby’s who held back the offense last year who are no longer with the team allowing us to play the coaches system then you know this team wins 10 games. If you don’t think so you’re not a Miami Dolphins fan period!

2016 We went 10-6. Last year doesn’t count. Too many distractions and injuries. Shall I list them. Hurricane, Timmons AWOL, traveled 100,000 000 miles before first home game, no bye week, more injuries, Maluga Arrested, OL Coach snorts coke, JAY FREEKIN CUTLER. We still won 6. Wow. We lost Jarvis, Suh and Pouncy. We gained Amedola, Wilson, 2 TE in draft don’t sleep on Derby), Sitton, Kilgore, Spence, Quinn, McMillan, don’t sleep on grant, Gore and yes Ryan 100.6 QB rating year 1 under Gase last 8 games 8-5 record. Now tell me how this team is not better than the 2016 team and we can’t be optimistic about 9-10 wins. If you watch football and if you watch the Miami Dolphins and you know we are not going to force the ball to 2 cry baby’s who held back the offense last year who are no longer with the team allowing us to play the coaches system then you know this team wins 10 games. If you don’t think so you’re not a Miami Dolphins fan period!

And now we get this. Healthy skepticism keeps you from being delusional and drunk. Been there done that.

He made some valid points and as a fan I knew you hope he's correct
I also hope you'd take no pleasure if he's wrong

I don't see the need to piss in the optimists cereos . If they are wrong we all suffer.

He made some valid points and as a fan I knew you hope he's correct.
I also hope you'd take no pleasure if he's wrong

I don't see the need to piss in the optimists cereos . If they are wrong we all suffer.
Ordinarily I'd agree, but when someone tells me I'm not a fan because I don't "know we'll win 10 games" then no,, I'm simply refusing to swallow that. Just because you're more optimistic, you think you're more of a fan than I am? No way.

You are correct. I don't agree with that part.

Maybe a bit agressive but I said “think”
Not a guarantee. Just tiered of seeing people with these 5-6 win projections regurgitating ESPN anyalists BS with no reason why the team would not have a chance to win 10 with what are the facts of the contrast between the 16’ and 17’ seasons. Folks act like we had our best team out there in 17’ therefore 18’ should reflect the misfortune on JAY CUTLER.

6-10 is realistic. To have any chance at playoffs will need to get off to great start as Pats-Vikes-Jags and then playing @ Buffalo in December could get ugly.

7 - 9. There were a lot of personnel changes and it's doubtful that they were automatically upgrades.
All those new faces have to learn to play together as a team and develop chemistry. That's a lot to expect.
Throw in a few injuries and we could see a very disappointing season.

Back
Top Bottom