Quarterbacks In The Draft: Who Are The Candidates? | Page 15 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quarterbacks In The Draft: Who Are The Candidates?

I just left Columbus Ohio and heard nothing. Got a link?

I keep thinking if a guy like Sam Hinkie ran an NFL team what would he do?

He'd certainly identify the fastest way to winning a super bowl was finding a playoff caliber Qb on a rookie salary. He'd tank, unapologetically, and he'd also be churning through Qbs like they were bottom roster types. I'd bet at least one new rookie drafted high every year..waiting..waiting...

I know it sounds ludicrous but I want to draft several Qbs this draft. Give me 3 and jettison the garbage on our roster.

We can all agree top priority is finally finding QB but what’s the best course...
We are picking #13. Some love Haskins & Murray but what will it cost to get to top of RD1 say #4?
At very least it will cost #13, Rd2 and next year #1...
Seems steep but if Haskins or Murray is your guy - do you make the move?

Alternative- build the trenches- possibly move down and acquire more picks - look to 2020 for your QB. Build a damn fortress for Tua.

He'd certainly identify the fastest way to winning a super bowl was finding a playoff caliber Qb on a rookie salary.

Not necessarily win a SB on a rookie contract. But definitely, a SB caliber quarterback will show that he is capable of winning in playoffs on a rookie contract. And the real deals win the SB on a rookie contract.

Eagles (Foles, vet) vs Patriots (Brady, vet)

Patriots (Brady, vet) vs Falcons (Ryan, vet)

Broncos (Manning, vet) vs Panthers (Newton, vet)

Patriots (Brady, vet) vs Seahawks (Wilson, rookie contract)

Seahawks (Wilson, rookie contract) vs Broncos (Manning, vet)

Ravens (Flacco, vet) vs 49ers (Kapernick, rookie contract)

Giants (Manning, vet) vs Patriots (Brady, vet)

Packers (Rodgers, vet) vs Steelers (Roethlisberger, vet)

Saints (Brees, vet) vs Colts (Manning, vet)

Steelers (Roethlisberger, vet) vs Cardinals (Warner, vet)

Giants (Eli, rookie) vs Patriots (Brady, vet)

So, in the last 11 years:

ROOKIE contract (first four years): Eli in year 4, Wilson in yr 2, and Kapernick in yr 2.
SECOND CONTRACT vets (years 5-9):
Brady 8, Roethlisbergr yr 5, Brees yr 9, Rodgers yr 6, Flacco yr 5, Newton yr 5, Ryan yr 9, Foles yr 6,
THIRD contract and beyond: Warner, Peyton.

Point is, there is no reason to wait beyond the rookie contract if it is not happening.

Did Kyler Murray have a couple of bad plays? Absolutely.

When you have to be the trigger man on 54 of 69 plays against the most intimidating defense in the country on national television, without any aid from your gimpy, stone-handed top receiver, you're going to have a few bad plays.

First thing that happens is Anfernee Jennings gets hold of just the right amount of jersey during a scramble, drags Kyler to straight down. Then Murray gets sacked on 3rd down. That's where a little bit of nerves set in, and it showed when he turfed a simple swing pass to Marquise Brown.

But after that, he was himself. You are allowed to have a few bad plays, ya know? And sometimes coverage is pretty good, ya know? Sometimes the other team is just better. With that abysmal Oklahoma defense, it's a miracle that didn't happen more than once this year. And that miracle's name was Kyler Murray.

When they got to a 3rd & 11, he's waiting for players to get open against a four-man rush (which means no hot routes, and long-developing routes because it's 3rd & 11), he's being protected by literally the most decorated offensive line in the country, that offensive line decides to cave and allow a blind side sack. So they lose a drive.

When it's 3rd & 15 because of a run play that lost 5 yards, and you throw a deep ball to your STAR speed merchant wide receiver, and he pulls up lame on the play with a bad hamstring, and now it looks overthrown, what are you supposed to do? Anticipate that he's gonna blow a hamstring on the play and pull the ball up a little? Another drive lost.

And on 3rd & 4 when you throw a whip route to your slot WR Myles Tease, and you hit the guy on the hands in tight quarters, and he doesn't catch the damn thing, yeah you might end up having to punt. Or if you go for it on 4th & 4, and once again you slip the ball up the narrowest of passing lanes straight up the shallow middle to the hands of your slot WR Myles Tease yet again, and he drops it yet again, what the hell are you supposed to do? Another drive lost.

When you throw the ball to the left sideline on 3rd & 6 near the goal line to your STAR wide receiver Marquise Brown, a play that could have gotten the 1st down or at WORST would have resulted in a doable 4th & 1, and your STAR receiver suddenly decides that in addition to a bad hammy his hands have now been replaced with butt cheeks, what the hell are you supposed to do? Catch it for him? On comes the Field Goal unit.

When you throw a DIME of a 50/50 pass to a 6'5" and 254 lbs guy facing man coverage in the end zone, in an extended time situation where nobody had got open, and the safety gets away with shoving him to the ground, making the throw look inaccurate when it was actually perfect, what the hell are you supposed to do? Go piss on the referee's shoes to remind him what yellow is supposed to look like?

I mean, the Sooners offense lost THREE DRIVES to start the game, trying to as a team get acclimated to Bama's level of speed and intensity, their game plan.

From then on, Oklahoma only had SIX drives for the rest of the game, unless you count Bama kicking the ball off to the Sooners who had take it at their own 25 yard line with 25 seconds left in the half. Those six drives gained 411 yards, every single one of them ended with a score, and they scored 34 points on them.

If anyone wants to sit here and pretend none of that matters, as if Alabama has a strong history of allowing a bunch of points and yards just because they happen to be up, as if the defense has been allowing 34 points per game instead of the 15 points per game they've actually allowed, that's fine.

But Kyler Murray had a hell of a game and the more closely you look at the performance, the more it stands up.

BTW, CeeJay Lamb is going to be special when he comes out, whoever throws the ball to him next year, needs to make him his alpha. Reminds me of Landry but with the potential to be even better.

Last edited:
Im curious everyone keeps referring to the QB class of 2020 as if it has a limitless number of cant miss QBs

What am I missing, I know Fromm & Tua other than those 2(which Im not sold either one is cant miss) who else in the supposed magical class is there?

Im curious everyone keeps referring to the QB class of 2020 as if it has a limitless number of cant miss QBs

What am I missing, I know Fromm & Tua other than those 2(which Im not sold either one is cant miss) who else in the supposed magical class is there?

Justin Herbert is well regarded.

Seems steep but if Haskins or Murray is your guy - do you make the move?

Absolutely. Like I said above, best case is to find your QB THIS year and he shows signs of being a franchise QB but the team still goes 1-15. Then you trade that #1 overall pick in 2020 for a record haul and are set for the future.

Justin Herbert is well regarded.

It’s combo— there are few options Tua Fromm Herbert and Love. Maybe another comes along. But it’s also the quality of prospects esp guy like Tua imo.

Absolutely. Like I said above, best case is to find your QB THIS year and he shows signs of being a franchise QB but the team still goes 1-15. Then you trade that #1 overall pick in 2020 for a record haul and are set for the future.

Bingo...get Haskins...keep next years 1st...Trade X to move up and get him!

Back
Top Bottom