Quarterbacks In The Draft: Who Are The Candidates? | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quarterbacks In The Draft: Who Are The Candidates?

This Haskins is pretty elite in the pocket and at using his eyes and anticipation. But when he has to move outside the pocket he is anywhere from mediocre to awful currently

That's the perfect way to encapsulate him. Great anticipation level and consistent execution from inside the pocket, especially via the quick game.

"Anywhere from mediocre to awful" (as you put it) when forced to hold it longer, or forced to move via blitz/rush.

That's the perfect way to encapsulate him. Great anticipation level and consistent execution from inside the pocket, especially via the quick game.

"Anywhere from mediocre to awful" (as you put it) when forced to hold it longer, or forced to move via blitz/rush.

Yeah didnt know how else to explain it. I mean I've seen Haskins capable of good decisions when being forced to move like against Maryland and Nebraska. But I've also seen games where Haskins is basically being dared to improvise and he is hesitant.

Yeah didnt know how else to explain it. I mean I've seen Haskins capable of good decisions when being forced to move like against Maryland and Nebraska. But I've also seen games where Haskins is basically being dared to improvise and he is hesitant.

He is young...nice talent though and size

I've seen the phrase "flashes of brilliance" used to describe what you sometimes see Haskins accomplish when forced into those move situations. I took issue with that because to me it's actually just flashes of competence. Like yes, he shows flashes of competence in those situations. But he also shows a lot of...not.

He's not tragic that way. But it doesn't take much to prevent you being one of the handful of elite players at the position. It's a really hard thing to be.

If he's 6'2" and plays at 240 lbs that's a problem for me. It would only exacerbate issues that are already there.

Yeah got to disagree with that. More muscle mass equals more explosive movement and he’d be replacing fat with muscle as most maturing athletes do. Tom Brady is 15 - 20 pounds heavier now than at the combine. Even at 40 he’s a more explosive athleticly than he was at the combine. He was absolute mush.

He's really not big, is the problem. The reason he looks that big to you is because he doesn't move his feet all that well, and isn't all that agile or fast.

In football you typically want a 6'4" and 235 lbs guy who can fool your eyes into believing he's 6'2" and 220 lbs...not the other way around.

That’s alarming. I believed he was significantly larger.

Locks got A LOT of jay cutler in him. Relies on his arm an awful lot. Hes a full on believer in his arm. Back foot, flat footed, and fading away throws. Quick slants hes fading away even. Thats jay cutler all day long. Even looked like cutler when he throws on the run.

Rarely steps into anything. Mechanics are fubarred. Dont think he quite has cutlers flat footed 40 yard ropes cannon coming out. But hes one of those guys where like cutler when he loses his arm its gonna be ugly cause the mentality will never change.

Of course that may be a decade from now.

Some QB coach will just have to kick Lock's ass when he gets drafted. That's all.
Florida game is good to take a look at him. First play of the game.

Presnap he sees press one on one, and decided to go there. The corner bails, and now the route is covered. Lock forces it nonetheless, throws 50/50.
He has an out on the opposite side for first down, but does not process post snap.
(The throw was okay, hit the defender off the helmet, and the receiver did not help.)

This is where Murray would look the other way and either complete first down or run for a few yards.

https://media.giphy.com/media/jbhmShEDC0WTa9H9Xj/giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Kirk herbstreet called haskins in game not an instinctive runner. Thats a bit of a red flag

If you want off script and improv at qb.

I dont see enough to make a move to 5 here which is the qb hot spot if there is one.

Presnap AGAIN wants to go to one on one. This time the linebacker peels off and double covers the route post snap.
Lock goes to second read and finds a covered receiver facing the blitz.

Pre snap he had an OPEN receiver, and a Hot read with linebacker showing blitz. Nonetheless he stuck to one on one presnap covered receiver. SMH. That's like Tannehill would do.
He just can't play the game. He can throw but cannot play. Some coach will have to kick his behind.

https://media.giphy.com/media/i4ytTVr45QRJ6srcgT/giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Presnap AGAIN wants to go to one on one. This time the linebacker peels off and double covers the route post snap.
Lock goes to second read and finds a covered receiver facing the blitz.

Pre snap he had an OPEN receiver, and a Hot read with linebacker showing blitz. Nonetheless he stuck to one on one presnap covered receiver. SMH. That's like Tannehill would do.
He just can't play the game. He can throw but cannot play. Some coach will have to kick his behind.

https://media.giphy.com/media/i4ytTVr45QRJ6srcgT/giphy.gif

giphy.gif

That hook route looks like the hot site adjustment. You throw the ball back into the blitz. I guess you could get on him for picking the wrong one with the drop out lb but its the robber safeties coverage area and the receiver is pivoting outside away from the drop lb.

I saw haskins vs washington every time he was blitzed be it vs zone or man (and he barely saw any man) throw to his motion based primary. Something that in the pros off film study teams will send a robber safety to the primary post snap and jump the ball for pick 6s on.

That hook route looks like the hot site adjustment. You throw the ball back into the blitz. I guess you could get on him for picking the wrong one with the drop out lb but its the robber safeties coverage area and the receiver is pivoting outside away from the drop lb.

Yep. It's an adjustment. But it's Lock's adjustment. If you go to his YT Florida game this is like the third, fourth snap, early in the video. You will see he first looks to one on one on the boundary. When the lb peeled off, only then did he come back to hot read on the blitz. The problem is Z was wide open presnap. You don't look to one on one when you have one on nothing! He can't play. That's the problem. There is no excuse "he did not see it." If he did not see it, he can't play. If he saw it and did not care, he can't play.

This Mizzou passing game is a mess.

Here again, he goes to one on one. There are so many problems here, it makes me not watch any more film.
I don't know if this is post, or slant, or nine. He did not let it develop, behind the safety. He did not look off the safety. He did not throw it over the top like it should be thrown, he forced it.
The receiver, I don't what route he is running. Middle is wide open. he should be creating separation towards the middle. And finally, look at the TE at z, sitting on the route while the middle is wide open. It just a mess.

He had a good game against Florida. But these things just indicate that someone will have to whoop him and teach him how to play -- we need to move the ball, not play hero ball one on one. Maybe it cannot be done. With Ryan it could not be done. Maybe they did not whoop him.

https://media.giphy.com/media/1iu9D8gwbJfqAnOmaP/giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Yep. It's an adjustment. But it's Lock's adjustment. If you go to his YT Florida game this is like the third, fourth snap, early in the video. You will see he first looks to one on one on the boundary. When the lb peeled off, only then did he come back to hot read on the blitz. The problem is Z was wide open presnap. You don't look to one on one when you have one on nothing! He can't play. That's the problem. There is no excuse "he did not see it." If he did not see it, he can't play. If he saw it and did not care, he can't play.

This Mizzou passing game is a mess.

Here again, he goes to one on one. There are so many problems here, it makes me not watch any more film.
I don't know if this is post, or slant, or nine. He did not let it develop, behind the safety. He did not look off the safety. He did not throw it over the top like it should be thrown, he forced it.
The receiver, I don't what route he is running. Middle is wide open. he should be creating separation towards the middle. And finally, look at the TE at z, sitting on the route while the middle is wide open. It just a mess.

He had a good game against Florida. But these things just indicate that someone will have to whoop him and teach him how to play -- we need to move the ball, not play hero ball one on one. Maybe it cannot be done. With Ryan it could not be done. Maybe they did not whoop him.

https://media.giphy.com/media/1iu9D8gwbJfqAnOmaP/giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Looks like to me that its a skinny post route based on the qb no drop and the way he throws it. Like hes trying to get it there before the safety can arrive.

But the route sucks its carried too far upfield and not angled enougk to keep the outside leveraged db on the cut from running under it.

Thats my read but the route sucks as much as the throw unless the throw carries him upfield there. And you arent gonna look that off as a primary on a no drop flat footed throw ask. Yeah im thinking skinny post to the primary.

I've seen the phrase "flashes of brilliance" used to describe what you sometimes see Haskins accomplish when forced into those move situations. I took issue with that because to me it's actually just flashes of competence. Like yes, he shows flashes of competence in those situations. But he also shows a lot of...not.

He's not tragic that way. But it doesn't take much to prevent you being one of the handful of elite players at the position. It's a really hard thing to be.

Checkout the plays at 0:11, 3:36, and 3:56

At 0:11 granted its 3 man pressure, but its plays like that gave me the phrase "flashes of brilliance". There's slippery guys out there like Russell Wilson that seem to do stuff like that almost every drive, but he shows you here those flashes

3:36 and 3:56 are nothing extraordinary, but it shows you he's capable of making plays when forced to step up and out on the move. Which has been a big knock on Haskins is that he's flat footed and bad when asked to get out of the pocket.

Still, none of these plays are against the blitz which is one of the larger if not the largest concern w/ Haskins. But, these are plays you want to see him make to help w/ his projection into the NFL. He's showing that he's capable, and at times like 0:11 hes more than just capable as well

Just wanted to share these. If I find time I can try and find more examples throughout the season both good/bad

We really can’t miss on QB selection.
From #13, we have to get to #4.
I figure Bosa Williams and Allen go top 3 - AZ SF and NYJ have their QBs and those DEF studs are too good to pass.
So if we want Haskins have to get to #4 but Raiders are at #4 and they have to be thinking QB. I let them take Haskins.
My strategy is hold at #13. Evaluate. If you love a Greedy Williams or White go for it - if not trade down to 25 for an extra RD 2.

Rd 1- Wilkins- Lawrence - or DT.
Rd2 - interior guard / center / RT.

Back
Top Bottom