Quarterbacks In The Draft: Who Are The Candidates? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quarterbacks In The Draft: Who Are The Candidates?

I’d get him in a lot of outside the pocket ask so the height isn’t as much an issue. That frame though it looks nickel corner like. Like it more if he was plus side of 200 and had more weight in the lower body.

Got to take advantage of the outflank threat with how you use him. Cause nfl defenses are gonna be worried about that more than anything I’d say. Separate from the joy stick like movement abilities.

Want to see how bama is able to contain him if they can. Also want to see how he deals with pressure and hard contact cause I’m sure it’s coming unless they design something where he isn’t holding the ball which will be sticks dependent I’m sure

I know lots dont care for him, but i would take Daniel Jones of Duke later. I assume he will fall, like Luke Falk did.

Always draft a QB in later rounds for development.

Last edited:
The 29th is gonna be a great day for sure. My wife is booked in for a C section for our 5th :) The Gators play Michigan, then there's the two play off games. My PVR will get abused that day :)

That bama game is going to show everyone if Murray has what it takes to play in the NFL. If he falters I expect him to choose baseball full speed.

Herbert going back to school, this years draft for QBs is going to be a crapshoot. Wouldn’t take a qb until the later rounds this year.

This is probably the best 'value' pick at the position, once you get beyond Kyler Murray:

If you're out on him, and you haven't gotten a guy by the end of Day 2, then this is the next best 'value' pick at the position:

WOW Drew Anderson! Loves throwing outside, ball placement on short flat routes, screens is really good. Arm looks strong, lots of dimes on fades and corners. When he leaves the pocket he is looking to make you pay. Can move in pocket, enough athlete to run some when it breaks down
Something weird about his motion, whippy in the arm, and really drives the back knee almost like an MLB pitcher (looks akward), bails on occasion throws flat footed when about to get hit.
Overall, super impressive IMO.

Buffalo decided Tyree Jackson was better?

This is probably the best 'value' pick at the position, once you get beyond Kyler Murray:

If you're out on him, and you haven't gotten a guy by the end of Day 2, then this is the next best 'value' pick at the position:

Really like his ability to escape from the pocket. Looks a little like a Mitch Trubisky. You think round two?

If we're talking mid-rounders, I do like a lot of what I see with Ryan Finley. Rather than reaching, I'd like to see Miami build the d-line and o-line early, unless we're talking Kyler Murray. I'd give up the farm for him.

That bama game is going to show everyone if Murray has what it takes to play in the NFL. If he falters I expect him to choose baseball full speed.

Is that entirely fair? What quarterback prospect do we think wouldn't falter against the Alabama defense? In the last two years the only one is Jake Fromm and that had as much to do with the Georgia running attack as anything else.

What also concerns me about this idea is that people will sort of have their way with what constitutes "faltering". For example last year Baker Mayfield for the most part had his way with the Georgia defense, but in the final couple of drives in the fourth quarter his offense couldn't get the job done, and people dubbed that "faltering" and it was supposed to be meaningful toward Baker Mayfield's evaluation.

Is that entirely fair? What quarterback prospect do we think wouldn't falter against the Alabama defense? In the last two years the only one is Jake Fromm and that had as much to do with the Georgia running attack as anything else.

What also concerns me about this idea is that people will sort of have their way with what constitutes "faltering". For example last year Baker Mayfield for the most part had his way with the Georgia defense, but in the final couple of drives in the fourth quarter his offense couldn't get the job done, and people dubbed that "faltering" and it was supposed to be meaningful toward Baker Mayfield's evaluation.
This is most definitely true, but I still would like to see how he handles the caliber of that team. I also didn’t realize he was closer to the 5’9” range, thought he was closer to 5’11”

This is most definitely true, but I still would like to see how he handles the caliber of that team. I also didn’t realize he was closer to the 5’9” range, thought he was closer to 5’11”
Ya know what mrbunglez, whether its 5'9" or 5'11", if he can give us years of DOUG FLUTIE play, I'd be all in. A competitor with a relentless energy to win. We've been sooooooooo B O R I N G ! ! ! JMO of course. :up:

Ya know what mrbunglez, whether its 5'9" or 5'11", if he can give us years of DOUG FLUTIE play, I'd be all in. A competitor with a relentless energy to win. We've been sooooooooo B O R I N G ! ! ! JMO of course. :up:

You just mentioned exactly what I was about to say - Doug Flutie. Certainly the shortest quarterback I've ever seen play in the NFL at 5'9" and some change, also a Heisman Trophy winner. The significant thing here is, Murray is immensely more gifted than Flutie was in terms of arm and athleticism.

It can be done. Height is certainly an obstacle, and must always be factored in to quarterback evaluation. However, height has proven to be the easiest flaw to overcome, as long as he brings the requisite traits to overcome it.

You just mentioned exactly what I was about to say - Doug Flutie. Certainly the shortest quarterback I've ever seen play in the NFL at 5'9" and some change, also a Heisman Trophy winner. The significant thing here is, Murray is immensely more gifted than Flutie was in terms of arm and athleticism.

It can be done. Height is certainly an obstacle, and must always be factored in to quarterback evaluation. However, height has proven to be the easiest flaw to overcome, as long as he brings the requisite traits to overcome it.
You are so right Ted. How many times a game does it seem TANNEHILL gets balls batted back in his face? A couple times per game it seems? Give me MURRAYs attributes any day of the week & I could deal with a couple passes a game batted down while also getting his electricity. SIGN ME UP!!!.

WOW Drew Anderson! Loves throwing outside, ball placement on short flat routes, screens is really good. Arm looks strong, lots of dimes on fades and corners. When he leaves the pocket he is looking to make you pay. Can move in pocket, enough athlete to run some when it breaks down
Something weird about his motion, whippy in the arm, and really drives the back knee almost like an MLB pitcher (looks akward), bails on occasion throws flat footed when about to get hit.
Overall, super impressive IMO.

Buffalo decided Tyree Jackson was better?

I know, right?!?

Standout high school player in Northern California. Not really heavily recruited for whatever reason (neither was Josh Allen, also Northern California, and say what you want about his future NFL career the man should have been a top recruit). Walked on at San Diego State but couldn't climb the depth chart so he went to JUCO at Diablo Valley. Was the most productive passer in the state of California the year he started at Diablo. Transferred to Buffalo but simultaneously they recruited the massive 6'6" and 245 lbs kid with a cannon arm and 4.7 speed Tyree Jackson.

I found two things about his Buffalo career most interesting:

1) His coach says that even though Drew was not the starter, was never slated to be the starter, had not played any games for them, heading into the 2017 season Anderson got a bunch of Captain votes. Coach says he'd never seen that happen before.

2) In just a short time I felt that, in a very real and lasting way, Anderson actually established Buffalo offensive identity. If you look at the games Tyree played before he went down that year, you look at how he ran the ball like 10 times a game and such, the offense was different. Anderson got in and he was a pocket passer. That had always been his identity as his high school coach said he was the best pure pocket passer he'd ever coached. So to accommodate, the Buffalo offense became oriented toward that, and it absolutely blossomed into something more effective than it had been. Coaches took note, and I read articles from the time that said that it inspired they and Tyree Jackson to do things differently when he got back in. Suddenly he was running the ball less than once per game. They made him into a pocket passer rather than a dual threat guy.

Smart kid with a good head on his shoulders, great character. Hates losing. It guts him.

Had to transfer out of Buffalo because they continued on with Tyree, and with only one year of remaining eligibility, all he could get was Murray State. They're really a terrible program, picked to finish second to last in the OVC. He arrived there late, and you could see that nobody was on the same page early in the season. But he had them on top of the conference at one point this year, rolling on offense, until the other much more talented teams in the OVC started to hand it to them.

I watched his game against Kentucky, a good SEC defense, a top 15 or 20 team in FBS football. Murray State's weaponry was bad even for the OVC. But I felt like Drew was slinging it anyway. He made a few mistakes. Takes a shot deep down the field and nails it, but it's dropped. Two more drops end that drive. Then he gets something going to end the half, but his coach makes an absolutely GUTLESS call to end the first half, with Murray State actually trying to get a TD on the board to bring it to 17-7. You could see that call took the wind right out of the sails of the Murray players, and they collapsed in the second half.

But that's a tape of a bad FCS team going against a top 15 FBS team with a good SEC caliber defense. This is a better one, especially when you look at the amount of wind that was whipping around in the stadium. Lot of pocket traits and passing traits that are coveted in the pros.

Back
Top Bottom