Quarterbacks In The Draft: Who Are The Candidates? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Quarterbacks In The Draft: Who Are The Candidates?

Appreciate the work you've put into the analysis man.

I think your #1 issue is a concern for sure, what I want in our next QB for sure is a football brain, Mayfield has one, Tannehill doesn't, I'm hoping this is something that's just come out of the scheme and not indicative of him as a player. Remember his stats were BETTER than Mayfield's last year in the same system, so he had to be doing something a little better than Baker. #2, I think this is a hard thing to assess you may be right but I've seen him go through progressions plenty of times in the live games I've seen. #3 He's 5' 9" for sure, he's small, but like I said before plays nothing like it and his height does not effect his abilities, one advantage is it's gonna be a hell of a small target area for a legal hit on the guy, lol. #3 again (in England we use the number 4 to follow 3 :p) Riley takes a lot of credit for both Baker and Kyler, Baker has proven however that it's not all on the head coach, I would love to see them reunited in South Florida.

I would like to point out that in your opinion he's not as elusive as Vick, I would disagree with that, but he's a huge factor in the run game, he does mot get hit a lot at all, so there must be some exclusivity in his game.

Another thing that we need to get out there too is the effect he's had on the opposing D's, they have to respect both the pass and the run, because he can kill you with both, a lot has been made of this Oklahoma line but a major factor in their success has been the lack of pressure the opposing D has been able to put on the QB because they simply can't afford to rush more than 3 or 4 otherwise Kyler will expose them.

The height thing is what's going to kill Kyler's draft stock if anything does IMO, you've really got to look past it and to the success that he's had in college and to those smaller QBs have had in the NFL in recent years. We have to roll the dice at some point, if he was 6'5" we simply wouldn't have a shot at him, he may in the end be too small for the league but the Dolphins have to be aggressive and go after him and hope he sticks. I'm 100% sure one team in the top 15 will take that chance, I hope it's us.

His passing efficiency is better (probably due to being more balanced run/pass) but Baker's offense was more pass dominant, PFF also graded Baker as the no. 1 QB in tight window throws. It could be possible that Murray did more than 1 read progression but I haven't seen it, at least not in the Texas and UCLA games. If he checks in at 5'9 190 then his 1st rd chances are slim, his
1st choice was baseball that also lets u know his mindset as a pro prospect because he's no lock to be a pro MLB player(most likely would have to spend 1-3 years in the minors).

I dont know that baker faltered against georgia late but they did take the ball out of his hands with the game on the line. Something i found odd.

Was errant high a couple times when asked to reset his feet or couldnt set his feet but thats something thats carried over to the pros. Ive seen whole halves of nfl games of that.

I'm very interested in Drew Anderson now... what round is realistic though? sorry thats obviously pretty hard to gauge at this point

I know lots dont care for him, but i would take Daniel Jones of Duke later. I assume he will fall, like Luke Falk did.

Always draft a QB in later rounds for development.
Apparently Miami may agree with you...They were at the bowl game scouting today. Jones played well and Duke smoked them In 2nd half sooooo
*Sorry if this was already posted

I’d get him in a lot of outside the pocket ask so the height isn’t as much an issue. That frame though it looks nickel corner like. Like it more if he was plus side of 200 and had more weight in the lower body.

Got to take advantage of the outflank threat with how you use him. Cause nfl defenses are gonna be worried about that more than anything I’d say. Separate from the joy stick like movement abilities.

Want to see how bama is able to contain him if they can. Also want to see how he deals with pressure and hard contact cause I’m sure it’s coming unless they design something where he isn’t holding the ball which will be sticks dependent I’m sure

A lot of his runs are at wide angles outside the tackles, the NFL DE's and CB's are a lot more disciplined and athletic than the big 12. I see Lamar Jackson recent success got u optimistic lol, that won't last long either.

Yeah that big 12 stuff is like not nfl like at all. I mean a couple years ago i think they had like one top 50 pick and it was the rb joe mixon. Or maybe it was one first round grade i cant remember.

Looks like a bunch of 4.7 pluses running around there next to murray on those highlights lol.

I hate highlights anyways they dont tell half the damn story. But he definitely can outflank his conference opponents.

Lamar jackson thing works cause the d is lights out and carries the team. Im fully aware of that. And the kicker any time the ball gets to the 40 will carve your eyes out with clutch kicks.

Yeah that big 12 stuff is like not nfl like at all. I mean a couple years ago i think they had like one top 50 pick and it was the rb joe mixon. Or maybe it was one first round grade i cant remember.

Looks like a bunch of 4.7 pluses running around there next to murray on those highlights lol.

I hate highlights anyways they dont tell half the damn story. But he definitely can outflank his conference opponents.

Lamar jackson thing works cause the d is lights out and carries the team. Im fully aware of that. And the kicker any time the ball gets to the 40 will carve your eyes out with clutch kicks.

I'm also interested in how he handles Alabama's defense.

His passing efficiency is better (probably due to being more balanced run/pass) but Baker's offense was more pass dominant, PFF also graded Baker as the no. 1 QB in tight window throws. It could be possible that Murray did more than 1 read progression but I haven't seen it, at least not in the Texas and UCLA games. If he checks in at 5'9 190 then his 1st rd chances are slim, his
1st choice was baseball that also lets u know his mindset as a pro prospect because he's no lock to be a pro MLB player(most likely would have to spend 1-3 years in the minors).

His first love is football, he signed the A's contract because he struggled at Texas A&M, transferred to Oklahoma and sat behind Baker Mayfield for a year. There is a reason why he asked the A's to let him play one season more of football, he desperately wanted to see if he could make it. The mistake the A's did was letting him. When you are talking about his height you are talking about an NFL of 5 - 10 years ago, not today's league, the teams are QB crazy, they know they can't win without an elite talent there. They also know that QBs like Brees and Wilson are difference makers in spite of their height and it's never been easier with the rules today to play the game under center with a less than stereotypical frame. I find it increbily hard to imagine a scenario where the Heisman winner, with the talent he obviously has, in a QB hungry league isn't selected in the first.

I'm a little conflicted for his Bama game because if he plays as well as he has all season, he's going to be out of our reach, but at the same time it'll vindicate his top of the first round pedigree. I just hope our scouts are on the ball and our FO is ready to move for him. If they have designs on Haskins instead then I'm on board with that too, he may be the safer choice but the higher ceiling is Murray.

I like Will Grier.

I do too but not in the first round, unfortunately he'll go there especially with Herbert going back to school. I would not be adverse to a trade down to the lower end of the first to pick him, but he will be over drafted there.

I have a real hard time seeing 5 foot 9 and 190 at qb going top 5. But i also had a hard time seeing 6 foot and 4.8 at qb going top 10 and it went #1. I dont bave a hard time thinking haskins best football may be in front of him. Crossing routes vs man are a man beater staple. They transfer to the pro game. Haskins coverage ids are pretty good too more advanced imo than cam newton was at the same stage.

I think herbert would have gone first had he come out over all these guys. Half field reads yeah but really high level tools and a plus athlete with a ideal frame.

Someone would have run that card up.

Last edited:
19C628A7-E0CF-40D9-A7F7-415AFC2C4B0E.jpeg
Not slighting the kid in any way and still think he’s a big time playmaker but Murray looks tiny compared to Tua and Tua is like 6’1” Murray can’t be more than 5’8” and weighing about a buck 80. He looks like he’d be one of the smallest QBs to play in the NFL.

Yeah thats nickel slot corner size. It looks like jalen davis or something size who isnt physically ready for nfl contact yet between.

Of course he plays slot corner and this kids a qb so its not the same thing but still that cats taking small at qb in the pros to another level.

I do too but not in the first round, unfortunately he'll go there especially with Herbert going back to school. I would not be adverse to a trade down to the lower end of the first to pick him, but he will be over drafted there.

Perhaps...but if you believe in a QB...you can’t overdraft him...QB’s are gold if they are good.

Haskins is the only QB worth drafting at the spot we'll pick.....if he decides to turn pro, that is. It's a bad draft class, especially with Herbert going back.

It's why I think Tannehill is back next year. The options aren't there IMO unless Haskins falls to us. 2020 is likely the better year to draft a QB early.

Back
Top Bottom