Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (seniors) | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (seniors)

I've talked about Joe Burrow's arm strength and velocity before, and cited a throw against Texas that was broken up in the end zone because he couldn't put more juice on the pass.

Here's another from this weekend against Mississippi State.

The last 18 inches of the defensive back's closing burst on the football happened because the ball didn't get there as fast as a strong-armed guy could've gotten it in there.

Same exact thing happened two plays later on the 3rd & Goal would-be touchdown pass while Joe Burrow rolled to his right. This was even more egregious as the pass came in very, very slow.

Last edited:
I've talked about Joe Burrow's arm strength and velocity before, and cited a throw against Texas that was broken up in the end zone because he couldn't put more juice on the pass.

The last 18 inches of the defensive back's closing burst on the football happened because the ball didn't get there as fast as a strong-armed guy could've gotten it in there.

Same exact thing happened two plays later on the 3rd & Goal would-be touchdown pass while Joe Burrow rolled to his right. This was even more egregious as the pass came in very, very slow.

Yep, that C.J. Morgan is an underrated safety too. Top 12 among my underclassman.

I am not arguing for Joe Burrow's arm..But, on the third down play it looks like he flicks it quickly expecting the wr to keep working towards him. It the receiver doesnt completely stop working toward the qb its an easy TD. Surely, that isnt all the juice JB can put on that throw

I am not arguing for Joe Burrow's arm..But, on the third down play it looks like he flicks it quickly expecting the wr to keep working towards him. It the receiver doesnt completely stop working toward the qb its an easy TD. Surely, that isnt all the juice JB can put on that throw

Throwing late and against his body, it very well may have been.

This issue isn't just about the micro-seconds measured. It bleeds into everything. Guys with different ability levels are more comfortable with certain things, and the opposite is true. I don't think a guy with a comfortably strong arm tries a lob there.

I also believe under-confidence in his arm may have led him to throwing the ball later than he otherwise could have, on that particular one.

Last edited:
Suppose the Dolphins drafted Burrow, what type of system would he fit in ?

In and out of the he hands of the receiver was my first reaction followed by the announcers sayin the same thing almost simultaneously. The first throw was more of a tryin to make something out of nothing throw. See drew brees do this all the time. That second throw I believe most NFL receivers catch.

There’s a back shoulder opposite hash pretty mucb throw by Herbert from last Saturday where I just laughed at how effortless it was.

There’s a back shoulder opposite hash pretty mucb throw by Herbert from last Saturday where I just laughed at how effortless it was.

What's your take on Tua? Do you think he's a special prospect?

Well, it’s the second week in a row Herbert has demonstrated great leadership and came through in the clutch to lead his offense on the game winning drive in a do or die situation while trailing in the final minutes.

I actually stayed up to watch him in that second half and his stats may look pedestrian due to the game the RB had but I was thoroughly impressed with that final drive. Showed off tremendous poise and quick decision making. Hell I never heard him talk before but he sounded like a leader in that post game interview as well.

Just very positive all around

Well, it’s the second week in a row Herbert has demonstrated great leadership and came through in the clutch to lead his offense on the game winning drive in a do or die situation while trailing in the final minutes.

If Herbert finishes strong, he's probably going to end up QB2 for me. I'd prefer to see more consistency and quicker processing, but he's done it well enough to say his physical tools give him a real chance. Went into 2018 as QB1 for me, and I don't know if I didn't give him enough credit for playing with an injury in 2018 or if I'm not holding him to a high enough standard given the OL in 2019. But, I think he's pretty good and has a chance to stand out in the right situation. Would love him in a Kyle Shanahan offense.

I just don't see it.

Even that final drive of his against WSU consisted of basically two decent passes, one of which he stared down about as much as anything I've seen. I mean he literally stood there staring at the same guy from snap to throw for 3 to 3.5 seconds until the guy finally got open and he threw it. Luckily WSU was in a 3-man rush versus a 6-man protection.

That said I haven't really examined the rest of his game against WSU. I'm just still a little wary because I have heard people talk up Herbert's Washington game and I thought that game was pretty poor for him, overall.

Joe Burrow grades high in a few key traits for a quarterback in my opinion. Toughness, accuracy & competitiveness. It's difficult to project a long career in the NFL if you're lacking in even one of these. Burrow scores high in all three.

Has fantastic leadership qualities and just good enough athletically to be sneaky. What he does is manipulate the pocket well and can usually find the exit when he feels pressured. Very good at not running into sacks - almost always chooses the right exit to extend the play. He's good enough at this to hurt you again and again with it if the first guy there doesn't succeed in securing a sack.

Exhibits nice poise in the pocket and good at hitting the windows on crossers and throws a catchable ball. Accuracy on deep throws is good as anybody else in the country.

Where Burrow doesn't score high is in arm talent, but I just don't see that as keeping him from being a successful starting quarterback at the next level. It's good enough for plenty of guys that have played in the NFL - and won superbowls. Other than that, I just don't see a lot of knocks on the kid.

I think you have to wonder how he'll look in a different offense that doesn't have Joe Brady as his passing game coordinator. I think a 1st round pick is stretching it based on talent - there are a few more talented QB's, but most of 'em are simply not as good.

Bottom line - in the right situation, I think he has no real problem making good on the pick if a team takes him in the 1st round. Joe Burrow can play in the NFL, although I just don't see a top 15 talent.

Many a good one in the NFL came with profiles similar to Burrow's.

With Herbert I see some growth in terms of becoming a quarterback. Compared to last year, and even earlier this year. Physically, he's as talented as they come. Makes any throw with ease because of the elite arm strength.

Although I'm not sure he could ever max out playing in that offense.

His footwork can be just slightly off which causes his ball placement to be off some. I think it's correctable.

My issue with Herbert is he just doesn't throw with any anticipation and is late recognizing things. Tends to fire the ball in there at the last second because his arm is so strong.

Love the physical tools, but the instincts are somewhat lacking to ever really be consistently great. The highs will be high - the lows will be low. I'm just not sold that's a franchise quarterback. But the tools are really good. So is the person. Easily a 1st round pick.

Back
Top Bottom