Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (seniors) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (seniors)

With a great trio of NFL caliber WRs he's throwing to. They've made him look better than he is but you're right, he's a good college QB.

He will have actual nfl wr's to throw to when he get's drafted so if having "nfl caliber" is the reason he is good on his college team, he should be awsome surrounded by actual nfl players. Right?

He will have actual nfl wr's to throw to when he get's drafted so if having "nfl caliber" is the reason he is good on his college team, he should be awsome surrounded by actual nfl players. Right?

No, because there's been a massive talent gap in the opposition. LSU hasn't gone up against any future NFL talented defenses or NFL talented DBs. Thus far, aside from Brandon Jones & Jordan Sterns, who are both safeties, LSU hasn't faced any future NFL corners. He has a rough 4 games stretch coming up against Florida, Miss St, Auburn & Alabama. Lets see how he does then.

So Tommy Stevens wanted to transfer to the SEC to play quarterback. Has subsequently been knocked out of 3 games already and we’re not even out of September.

Sindelar broke his clavicle. His injury-riddled college career is over.

Probably gets a camp invite based on his arm.

Sindelar broke his clavicle. His injury-riddled college career is over.

Probably gets a camp invite based on his arm.

Yep, but he was granted a 6th year of eligibility prior to the season. He could come back again and play for Purdue next year if he wants to.

Given Daniel Jones's early success, there's probably going to be some thought given to Quentin Harris.

I look at him and four things stand out, including the obvious:

1) Short, small frame. Similar to a favorite of mine from the past, Rakeem Cato.
2) Extremely agile, quick feet, great body control and suddenness.
3) He's purely fast, not just quick. Very Tyrod Taylor-like athleticism.
4) He is very SNAPPY getting the football out. Sometimes he's too fast for the rest of his offense, this way.

This is a developing player and a developing story because he only played two real games in 2018, one against Baylor and another against NC Central, and then his big debut against Alabama this year didn't go so well.

But he just beat Virginia Tech. It's one thing to beat up on NC A&T and Middle Tennessee. It's another thing to go beat up on Virginia Tech. Harris has good efficiency this year.

And you know what, I re-watched the Alabama game and it was a hell of a lot more interesting than the stat line. The game plan was obviously run-based, which you'd expect with a new QB facing a juggernaut after having lost a 1st round pick like Daniel Jones. But it was really interesting to watch how QUICKLY Quentin Harris could identify what he wanted against the Bama defense, and then work at trying to get it there (with the offensive line and receivers not necessarily helping him). He's operating at blinding speed, compared with the guys surrounding him, who generally aren't quick enough to be on the same page.

There was a throw I can't get out of my mind in the beginning of the 1st quarter, tied ball game, with Alabama's offense having just turned the ball over giving Duke a chance to land the first punch. After play-action, Harris threw it to a man in the end zone as he tagged his post vertically with man coverage and a deep center safety over top. I got the feeling from the body language that Quentin Harris saw the safety, there was nothing on the play that surprised him. Usually you look at this setup and you say, don't throw this ball. But the throw itself was so well executed, one of those back of the end zone, either my man is getting it or nobody is getting it, type of throws. It's the kind of thing that franchise QBs do in the NFL that, to me, sort of transcends scriptable decision-making. Bottom line is the ball landed right in the outstretched hands of Jalon Calhoun with two defenders bracketing him, and he couldn't hang on. Other receivers make this play and it ends up being a huge opportunity for a team that wasn't supposed to compete.

Very similarly, he had a huge pass (this one complete) to a 6'2" Scott Bracey working against Trevon Diggs, a real 50/50 ball where you ask your receiver to make a play, but I thought it was again very impressive where exactly Harris placed this football. The receiver had started his route inside of the numbers, and the ball landed about 5 feet inside of the sideline. Great spiral, great spin. He gave his unknown receiver the best possible opportunity to show up a future 1st rounder, and that's exactly what Bracey did. He caught the ball.

He seemed to recognize corner leverage, he knew how to attack a split safety look, he knew how to challenge single-high, zone, etc. I thought he was generally putting the ball in good position for his receivers.

The only interception he legitimately threw in the game was down 35-3 and yeah, at that point you might find yourself trying to throw one-too-many of those 50/50 balls out to a guy in single coverage, and eventually a Trevon Diggs is going to win that against your crappy Duke receivers. The second interception he threw was with 43 seconds left, down 42-3, and you can absolutely tell he saw the Cover 2 zone, and he just threw it anyway hoping his receiver would make the play one-on-one against the deep safety. There was no "looking off" to be done there.

Bottom line, I expect a high caliber QB on a under-manned team to compete when facing a team like Alabama, and for HIS part, I thought Quentin Harris did.

And that's without getting into the 20 of 27 for 163 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT, 17 runs for 100 yards and 1 TD performance against Virginia Tech to beat them 45-10.

Last edited:
Duke came out running the triple option - Cutcliffe is still such a good coach. He knew Alabama wouldn't be prepared for anything like that and it's what contributed to Bama getting off to such a slow start in that game. He's watched all the struggles top programs have against triple option teams like Army, The Citadel, Georgia Southern, etc. and wasn't scared to try it.

Cutcliffe knew Bama's offense gets off to fast starts with Tua and those receivers and the game is typically over by halftime when Tua already has almost 50 on the board. Duke was basically able to control the game for the entire 1st quarter by running that option until adjustments were made and Bama's talent took over. Just a great job by Coach Cutcliffe. I think they're probably the 2nd best team in the ACC. They're going to nip some people this year. They're still running that option some.

Watching the Oregon game tonight, just about finished, where the Ducks stumble to a victory over a Cal team with their Back up QB starting. Another game of watching Herbert, with the same familiar feeling. The guy looks the part, has one or two great plays, can clearly throw a great ball from time to time but on the whole fails to impress. Just doesn't seem to be a player that can carry his team to wins, nothing excites me about him. I'm sure he'll get drafted very high in April but hope it's not us that take him.

Watching the Oregon game tonight, just about finished, where the Ducks stumble to a victory over a Cal team with their Back up QB starting. Another game of watching Herbert, with the same familiar feeling. The guy looks the part, has one or two great plays, can clearly throw a great ball from time to time but on the whole fails to impress. Just doesn't seem to be a player that can carry his team to wins, nothing excites me about him. I'm sure he'll get drafted very high in April but hope it's not us that take him.

He was very inconsistent, but a few thing stood out to me. First, I believe he will survive NFL Level sacks better than most. He reminds me of Big Ben, the durability aspect of Big Ben, during his early years. Second, he is a better scrambler than I thought he was.

He was very inconsistent, but a few thing stood out to me. First, I believe he will survive NFL Level sacks better than most. He reminds me of Big Ben, the durability aspect of Big Ben, during his early years. Second, he is a better scrambler than I thought he was.
I totally agree on his durability, actually the Steelers fit is perfect and they should use their first to find big Ben's replacement .... oh wait :) The physical aspects are all there, I don't think there is a debate there, if you were going to mold a QB out of clay and give him arm talent from the gods, Herbert would be pretty close to what you landed upon. It's the intangibles that concern me more than anything, I don't see that ability to drive a team to wins, that game changing instinct to know what to do at the right moment, that we saw consistently from the likes of Mayfield, Murray, Tua and Lawrence. I think those football instincts are what separates these prospects, from the good to the great, if he lands in the right situation I'm sure Herbert will be a success at the next level.

For us we need something more than what Herbert is though, we are so far away from a level of competitiveness that only one QB IMO fits the profile of being able to make those around him look and play better than they are.

He certainly survived running into that truck parked on the sidelines when Ashtyn Davis kinda "helped" him on his way out of bounds. I was a little concerned for him when I saw him headed right for it. Good to see him pop right up and shake it off.

But just keep in mind Herbert does have a history of durability issues early in his career.

Ironically, Nate Stanley is the kid that looks like Ben Roethlisberger from a pure size and strength category. He had several plays with 3 or 4 Michigan guys hanging on him and he was still on his feet and found ways to get the football out - even left handed. However, he's not Big Ben from a throwing standpoint. Nate Stanley is so inaccurate and so bad - I finally just dropped him from my board all together. That left handed throw at the end may have been his most accurate one.

I don't care what scouts say, I don't want anything to do with him. Unless he can run and catch and play tight end.

Back
Top Bottom