Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (underclassman) | Page 29 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Slimm's 2020 Quarterbacks (underclassman)

Lookin' for the Hillbilly...

Heard he frequents these parts...

:walrus

I think Tyler Huntley is a nice case in point for why I don't feel all that inclined to pay up for a Joe Burrow.

That's another guy who made a ridiculous jump from 2018 to 2019. Another guy with ridiculous efficiency. Another guy who can use his feet to hurt a defense. Another guy who doesn't have an NFL arm.

I think Tyler Huntley is a nice case in point for why I don't feel all that inclined to pay up for a Joe Burrow.

That's another guy who made a ridiculous jump from 2018 to 2019. Another guy with ridiculous efficiency. Another guy who can use his feet to hurt a defense. Another guy who doesn't have an NFL arm.

Surprised a little by this. Arm looked good enough to me, but I'm not measuring the way you are. Either way, Huntley is younger and figures to have more room for growth in this area.

Surprised a little by this. Arm looked good enough to me, but I'm not measuring the way you are. Either way, Huntley is younger and figures to have more room for growth in this area.
He’s shown a lot of growth this season alone. A lot more confident than he was beginning of year. I didn’t even know much about this guy till I saw his name come up in a few posts. Then I started paying attention.

I don't know if I can forecast the growth, I can just tell you that what he's doing out there is generally blown away by NFL quarterbacks.

I've seen one throw of his where he managed to pop the mitt...and if you look at the throwing motion he used, it was very exaggerated and he basically had to put his entire soul into that throw. I suppose that bodes well for growth, as you say. But I tend to think he's going to find the backfield too crowded to pull that off on a regular basis.

Pretty thin frame on that one, too. I've been down that road before.

I'll elaborate, here.

Let's compare two throws by Tua and Huntley. Both of these have very good velocity...right up where they'll need to be in the NFL.

The first one is the ONE throw I can find where Tyler Huntley actually pumped that ball full of NFL zip. The rest of his throws tend to come off very Joe Burrow-ish. But slow the video down and look at Huntley's body language on the throw. He had that big elongated step, really hung that one up there, and his body snapped like a wet snake. Basically he plugged his whole heart and soul into it to get that velocity.

1574369254105.png

Contrast that to Tua's circumstances below.

He's being pressured and has to hold the ball forward, take some short and choppy steps up into the pocket, and then has to sort of brace for impact immediately off the throw, leaving the motion truncated. He didn't put everything he had into this ball but he achieved the same-or-better velocity.

People question whether Tua's got the ideal arm for an NFL quarterback. And they're not completely off-base. His arm would not stand out among NFL starters and would probably be bottom-half among peers.

So what does it say when you can look at a guy and show that he's a clear notch below Tua? That's one of my issues with Joe Burrow...and the same applies to Tyler Huntley. Although, to be fair, at least with Huntley I've seen it once. I've never seen an NFL velocity from Burrow.

I'll elaborate, here.

Let's compare two throws by Tua and Huntley. Both of these have very good velocity...right up where they'll need to be in the NFL.

The first one is the ONE throw I can find where Tyler Huntley actually pumped that ball full of NFL zip. The rest of his throws tend to come off very Joe Burrow-ish. But slow the video down and look at Huntley's body language on the throw. He had that big elongated step, really hung that one up there, and his body snapped like a wet snake. Basically he plugged his whole heart and soul into it to get that velocity.

View attachment 33392

Contrast that to Tua's circumstances below.

He's being pressured and has to hold the ball forward, take some short and choppy steps up into the pocket, and then has to sort of brace for impact immediately off the throw, leaving the motion truncated. He didn't put everything he had into this ball but he achieved the same-or-better velocity.

People question whether Tua's got the ideal arm for an NFL quarterback. And they're not completely off-base. His arm would not stand out among NFL starters and would probably be bottom-half among peers.

So what does it say when you can look at a guy and show that he's a clear notch below Tua? That's one of my issues with Joe Burrow...and the same applies to Tyler Huntley. Although, to be fair, at least with Huntley I've seen it once. I've never seen an NFL velocity from Burrow.

Joe Burrow throwing mechanics analysis
Performance Lab of California

Joe Burrow throwing mechanics analysis
Performance Lab of California

I've stated this before, he has perfect throwing mechanics. And the things that he learned to do out in Huntington Beach, CA have helped his accuracy a ton.

But quite frankly, even being mechanically built to use his height to his fullest advantage as that video points out, that ball comes out slow relative to NFL players.

At the 4:37 mark he puts some zip on a pass. As you pointed out CK, he doesn't throw like that often.

Slimm - As an Alabama fan you have analyzed all of Tua's work. I have a few questions:
1) He is a very special player. How do you think he will mentally be able to handle this injury? Do you have concerns re his self confidence?
2) How do you rate his actual intelligence? A pretty big part of all really great QBs is their football intelligence.
3) Parking his recovery aside, do you have any significant issues with his game?
Provided the doctors are comfortable with his recovery. I think he is a serious option for the Dolphins to consider drafting.

Tua might end up shorter than he was after recovery, lol. Really I just don't see him or anyone having a successful QB carreer after that injury.

I wanted him before it, I like the kid, I wish him well, but no way am I picking him top 5.

Maybe with one of our late firsts but I still would rather just punt QB into next year or take Herbert if he is there at #4.

Mac Jones ballin, you were saying... Anybody could succeed with those playmakers.

Back
Top Bottom