So let me understand this? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

So let me understand this?

And stills couldn't play Landry's position so what's your point? Good teams don't just double guys because they play on the outside.... Good teams usually double a teams BEST players. Nobody is doubling Stills OR Parker. Teams (the New England Patriots for one) Have doubled Landry.... Why? Because he's one of not just OUR best players but one of the Best players in the league. As a matter of fact... good teams like the NE Patriots often times take their BEST CB, and put them on a teams BEST WR no matter where he plays on the field and dares the other WR's to beat them. I think they did that to Landry a few times over the years. The thinking is..... "We're not going to let LANDRY beat us" And usually that strategy works because the other WR's we have, haven't stepped up.
Exactly what I am saying, they play two different positions and can't be compared to each other.

You must be blind ,stupid, or a combination of the both to think Landry is just an "average short yardage receiver". Double up on that statement if you think going off stats with Jay ****ing Cutler under center is any real way to evaluate Landry. Cutler averaged 6.2 yards per attempt vs Tannehills 7.7 in 2016. The offense was handcuffed and our WRs suffered the consequences.

Does this mean pay him 14 million a year? Hell no, but some of the comments regarding him are so far from the truth I wonder how many of you even watch the full games anymore... The dudes a gamer, and even if my team isn't going to win they better be competing day in and day out. I look foward to seeing him in a Dolphins uniform with RT17 leading us.

Oh, just for reference the lowest RT17s YPA ever got to was 6.7 his 2nd year.

I am just amazed at the amount of people who really think the difference between 12 million and 14 million is the difference between keeping Landry and saying good bye.

Of course Miami will try to negotiate the best contract for them and set a value on Jarvis, but with the franchise tag in their back pocket that 2 million dollar difference will not be an issue in regards to whether he is a Fin or not.

If Miami wants him, he'll be a Dolphin in 2018.

Leading a team in catches is purely a function of targets... Landry is top 10 in targets in the NFL... Of the top 10, he's 9th in yards, 10th in Y/C, 7th in 1st downs, and 10th in 20+ plays...
Fun fact: *All* of Landry's 9 TDs came from inside the opponents 10 yard line...

Thank you for making everyone’s opposing view point for them. There is a simple maxim with the NFL. Get the ball to your best players. Thank you for unequivocally stating that Landry is the best player on offense. It is good to know where you stand.

Wouldn't that tag cost about 16mill? If the team doesn't want to pay him 14mill then why would they pay him 16?

Ozzy rules!!

I am just amazed at the amount of people who really think the difference between 12 million and 14 million is the difference between keeping Landry and saying good bye.

Of course Miami will try to negotiate the best contract for them and set a value on Jarvis, but with the franchise tag in their back pocket that 2 million dollar difference will not be an issue in regards to whether he is a Fin or not.

I agree in general but it's not just him or that contract though. It's the agents looking at that wondering if they can get a few extra million for their clients too.

I also think the market dictates this stuff more than we give it credit for. I could see Landry's deal being right around what those last few receivers got. $14 is looking like a decent metric to base it on. I'm fine with it.

I agree in general but it's not just him or that contract though. It's the agents looking at that wondering if they can get a few extra million for their clients too.

I also think the market dictates this stuff more than we give it credit for. I could see Landry's deal being right around what those last few receivers got. $14 is looking like a decent metric to base it on. I'm fine with it.

The market absolutely dictates it and this WR market is looking thin as ever, which is why the franchise tag will be a powerful tool in negotiations. If Juice got on the open market and went to the highest bidder, Miami would not have a chance. That contract could escalate to 16m+ AAV rather easily with teams needing to spend cap and most contracts only 2 or 3 years either way (despite the fancy details on the outside).

If they cannot work something out, expect Jarvis to be franchised and they will settle on something likely in that 12 to 13 million range with a good amount of guaranteed money. We saw it last year with guys like Melvin Ingram. Franchised and eventually signed long term. These guys not trying to play on one year deals that don't at least somewhat guarantee their future. Hell Landry is a perfect example with how close he is to Beckham Jr. They all want as much money as possible but they also know they don't have as much power as being a FA would lend you to believe.

We have only one legitimate WR on the team, in Landry. Parker is not a #1, Stills just goes deep, Carroo is a bust and Grant is slowly coming along. So first of all, we are talking about not Paying Landry $X, right? However, he is producing for at least 2-3 WRs right now. I know the next thing that will be discussed is stats and his average per catch. So because we don't have a vertical QB in house, a shaky line and play calling that requires bubble screens as a solution to run the ball, Landry has to pay the price for this? Think about it, for a sec. He is basically the only option in the passing game, and has been. It is not his fault that he has to catch short passes and advance it to average 8-9 yards a catch. This board and this team has no vision. You have to picture the guy with decent talent around him. Just because they don't have a coach, WR or QB, doesn't mean Landry can be really effective. Think about it on a level playing field this year. Julius is Julius from Denver, Parker is an Alpha X, Stills takes the top off the ball. Oh and we actually don't have a scrub line or qb. Landry is lined up against a nickel or LB and is dragging across the middle, can easily average 10-12 yards a catch. Did you see the big plays two seasons ago against AZ and the Jets? The inabilities of this team from coaches to personnel under-value Landry. He is the victim of a bad offense. Bad offenses don't have good stats, team-wise and individually. And his passion is second-to-none. He loves this team. He will fight for this team. And maybe if Parker, Stills, Carroo, Gase and Tannehill had that kind of fight in them, we wouldn't be talking about losing Landry.

Let me do a little name substitution and re-write for you:

We have only one legitimate WR on the team, in Landry. Parker is not a #1, Stills just goes deep, Carroo is a bust and Grant is slowly coming along. So first of all, we are talking about not keeping Tannehill, right? However, he is producing like he has at least 2-3 WRs right now. I know the next thing that will be discussed is stats and his average per attempt. So because we don't have a vertical WR in house, a shaky line and play calling that requires bubble screens as a solution to run the ball, Tannehill has to pay the price for this? Think about it, for a sec. He is basically the only option in the passing game, and has been. It is not his fault that he has to throw short passes and advance it to average 8-9 yards a play. This board and this team has no vision. You have to picture the guy with decent talent around him. Just because they don't have a coach, WR or OL, doesn't mean Tannehill can't be really effective. Think about it on a level playing field this year. Julius is Julius from Denver, Parker is an Alpha X, Stills takes the top off the ball. Oh and we actually don't have a scrub line

Still like the logic and reasoning? I like it both ways. Do you?

Landry is an angry dwarf. He run's bubble screens and short routes cause that's all he can do. He is good -3 to +7 yards to the line of scrimmage. He tries so hard that you wish other's tried as hard as he does. IF he goes to another team, he will do the same for them. NO team will win a game because they have Landry on it.

Great post.

For me it is not complicated. I have a life long hatred of short passes. I have laughed at screen passes and specifically third down screen passes for 30 years.

I don't like to make exceptions. When you make exceptions you are fooling and betraying yourself. This board and Dolphins fans in general understand that a feature wide out with low yards per reception is not ideal, and that a penalty-craving jerk is not ideal. But we want to make an exception for Jarvis Landry. That's the same type of thinking that lends itself to low percentage adjustments at other positions and in personnel acquisition period.

As I posted the other day, the argument is reversed:

* What would we do without him?

Nope

* Imagine what we could do without him

Someone here posted that Tannehill's YPA plummeted a full half yard in 2016 due to screen passes alone. I don't have to guess who was on the other end of a large percentage of those screen passes. In 2018 we figure to have an uptick season, based on the natural bounce after you drop from 10 wins to 6. Once the arrow is in your favor it's possible to dramatically exceed the expectation, not to merely nudge beyond it. You have to take full advantage of those seasons. To allow Tannehill a chance at a true breakout season and to establish himself as a Top 10 quarterback at long last, we need to be throwing aggressively downfield and to actually score enough points to place ourselves in great position toward a high playoff seeding, not barely squeaking in as the 6th seed.

Take a risk for a change. It actually feels good. There is nothing risky about dump off passes to jittery little Jarvis Landry barely on either side of the line of scrimmage. If you give Tannehill that bail out he'll take it. Don't give him the chance to take it. Again, it's like that look into the future and protecting the future, another version of, "Edith Keeler must die." Those short crossing routes on 3rd and 10 must die.

Besides, a guy with a skill set like that does not improve over the years. He won't get any faster or become more of a downfield threat. His style logically lends itself to the reverse, to getting dinged up and breaking fewer and fewer tackles. There were already indications of that this season. He never showed the ferocity similar to that catch and run against the Cardinals in 2016. Landry seemed to sense he was less of a threat so he resorted to more antics, more emphasis on catch numbers, and pathetic touchdown celebrations.

Landry is what he is. A good slot wr and a bitterly little bucket of annoying.

I want him back, but at 10-11 million. Not top WR money.
We thought Stills was going to kill us. It is all about guaranteed money. Look at Tannehill. Signed a $96m deal.

There has to be a limit somewhere? If 14M is fine for you, then it's ok if they give him 16M?... It's just a 2M difference...I mean at some point you draw a line... IMO 12M is that line...

There has to be a limit somewhere? If 14M is fine for you, then it's ok if they give him 16M?... It's just a 2M difference...I mean at some point you draw a line... IMO 12M is that line...

Nah that is where you utilize your franchise tag option and continue negotiating . . . like most big boy teams do in the NFL. There is always a cap and just because one player says I won't take anything less than 16 million in negotations while your number maybe at 11 for that player . . . it doesn't mean a deal can't be worked out eventually.

I think it must be said that Miami will likely give in a little here to get a long term deal done because they know they got top of the line production from a guy that they only gave 3.5 million dollars to over the last 4 seasons and they don't wanna tie up franchise tag money on the 2018 cap.

So even if that number is 14 or 15 . . . Miami will look at it as . . . damn we got Jarvis for 8 years, got top production for 8 years and we paid under 8 million AAV for it (lets assume 4 years/60 million plus 4 years 3.5 million). They will still feel like they had a top 10 WR at a bargain price while he was in a Fins uniform over that time period.

Just putting some perspective on it. Either way its the guaranteed number that makes the deal anway. Jarvis would much prefer a 5 year/60 million dollar deal with the first 2 years guaranteed at 25 million . . . over a 5 year/75 million deal with the first 2 years guaranteed at 15 million.

So what you're saying is that if he didn't get a lot on his first 4 years then we need to make up for it by over paying for him? Then let me ask you this, will Parker, James and Harris give back some of what they made on their early years because they didn't played like first round picks?
Sorry but that makes no sense to me. You pay them what they're worth now and you need a pay structure. Once you start making exceptions you'll end up with a team full of them.

Ozzy rules!!

Nah that is where you utilize your franchise tag option and continue negotiating . . . like most big boy teams do in the NFL. There is always a cap and just because one player says I won't take anything less than 16 million in negotations while your number maybe at 11 for that player . . . it doesn't mean a deal can't be worked out eventually.

I think it must be said that Miami will likely give in a little here to get a long term deal done because they know they got top of the line production from a guy that they only gave 3.5 million dollars to over the last 4 seasons and they don't wanna tie up franchise tag money on the 2018 cap.

So even if that number is 14 or 15 . . . Miami will look at it as . . . damn we got Jarvis for 8 years, got top production for 8 years and we paid under 8 million AAV for it (lets assume 4 years/60 million plus 4 years 3.5 million). They will still feel like they had a top 10 WR at a bargain price while he was in a Fins uniform over that time period.

Just putting some perspective on it. Either way its the guaranteed number that makes the deal anway. Jarvis would much prefer a 5 year/60 million dollar deal with the first 2 years guaranteed at 25 million . . . over a 5 year/75 million deal with the first 2 years guaranteed at 15 million.
Yeah I'm not sure I buy the you were cheap for us so we're going to give you more... But thats fine! You view Landry as a top 10 WR, and I disagree... He's a great slot receiver, but he is limited. I don't think he should be counting more than 12M against the cap. Ideally he'd be around 10 but with the WR FA market the way it is this year, it's not realistic.

This front office is a joke. If they pay him anything close to 14 mil a season, I will stop watching. They have too many positions to upgrade on this team. Why would you pay 14 or 16 mil for a slot guy? I wouldn't pay a slot guy 10 million... I would draft Anthony Miller or Christian Kirk in the second round and put that money into paying quality interior linemen. Hell, I'd cut Pouncy too and pay Ryan Jensen from Baltimore. This front office is a freaking joke.

Back
Top Bottom