Something that worries me about Chris Grier | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Something that worries me about Chris Grier

That could be the case, I just feel like he offers little...not even sure how much of a space-eater he will be

It is the player.
My question to GRIER regarding the drafting of DAVIS is: 'What do you see in this player because STATISTICALLY he regressed each year of his college career"? :ponder:

Grier got us the right coach and the right QB. Now we can go far, we have our franchise QB!! Flores has been rebuilding this thing brick by brick from the ground up. We are a much better team then we were when Flo was hired. Don't discount input from Allen and McKenzie regarding the trenches. We got way stronger in the trenches where it counts.

Well it also included 2 first rounders that are no longer here....jury is still out on that one. If you look at the drafts since 2016, it has not been great by any means. 2016 Tunsil was good, not great and now gone. Howard has been good, but missed 1/4 of his time injured, Drake was decent, now gone, Grant has been meh....the rest of that draft sucked. 2017 was a sad joke...next. 2018 Fitzpatrick was good, now gone, Gesiki has been a disappointment, shown some flashes, Baker has been solid and a nice surprise, Sanders has been good. 2019, Wilkins has been a bit of a disappointment, needs help, Gaskins got some playing time.

So what I am saying, not counting this year.....in the 4 drafts 2016-2019 this is all we have to show for it (excluding draft picks from trades):
Howard, good player when actually on the field.
Grant solid contributor.
Harris and McMillian both busts to this point.
Ford, seen some playing time, made a few plays.
Gesiki disappointment so far.
Baker, good pick!
Sanders, solid kicker.
Smythe would not be on most teams
Ballage bust
Wilkins disappointment so far.
Dieter would be PS on most teams,
Gaskins (our QB was our leading rusher last year).

This is what we have to show for 4 drafts and 29 picks.

This is an issue and has been an issue for a long time.

Watch out, when I said how bad this guy drafts all I got was grief. He is not good. Unfortunately Ross will have to be 6 feet under before this guy is finally gone. Hell I like Ross.

He has had a clean slate with me since 2019. I think he has handled himself pretty darn well as far as handling the duties of being a GM. This is a very well run organization since he has taken over. Obviously talent and winning will be the ultimate judge of his tenure as the actual "bonafide" decision maker in the room, but I like what I am seeing.

I understand the doubters of him as well . . . the Dolphins have given people little reason to have confidence in the moves they make. Being skeptical is now essentially being safe, as far as being a Dolfan is concerned.

All I know is I enjoyed watching the leading men of our organization for 3 days, being family men, grabbing the most highly regarded QB prospect we have added since Marino, and really building an identity with young, aggressive leaders, with amazing stories, ready to build something special down here.

See if we can erase the last generation and start something new and fresh down here.

You guys can't just talk out of both sides of your mouth. You're blaming Grier for picks when previous coaches were here, but then acting like Flores is "carrying" Grier. It's one or the other. Either Grier is picking all of those players or he's working with the coaches. For all you know Gase pounded the table for Charles Harris.

You act like the draft is this super serious thing. Andy Reid literally just asked Mahomes which RB he liked at the end of the 1st and he said Edwards-Helaire so they picked him.

I cosign this reply. I gaurantee though all the players picked this draft were discussed prior to. I do believe they missed out on some guys they wanted, but still picked guys they wanted. The relationship between GM and Coach should be good. The responsibility falls on Grier with the picks but the conversations were and should always be collaborative.

He has had a clean slate with me since 2019. I think he has handled himself pretty darn well as far as handling the duties of being a GM. This is a very well run organization since he has taken over. Obviously talent and winning will be the ultimate judge of his tenure as the actual "bonafide" decision maker in the room, but I like what I am seeing.

I understand the doubters of him as well . . . the Dolphins have given people little reason to have confidence in the moves they make. Being skeptical is now essentially being safe, as far as being a Dolfan is concerned.

All I know is I enjoyed watching the leading men of our organization for 3 days, being family men, grabbing the most highly regarded QB prospect we have added since Marino, and really building an identity with young, aggressive leaders, with amazing stories, ready to build something special down here.

See if we can erase the last generation and start something new and fresh down here.

Yea, bro, I think people are severely downplaying the Tua pick. We have been begging for a first round top QB that WE wanted for years. I think the last time we've picked a QB this high was Bob Griese in 67' at pick 4 in the first rd. This is Huge. And I think this was the QB for us. I got into a short argument with a Lions fan who was pissed they didnt talk Tua, I just kept saying you guys got Stafford! lol When you get rid of em let's talk.

I was looking at his history with us, which started in 2000 as a scout. In 2003, he was promoted to national scout and assistant director of college scouting. In 2007 he became our director of college scouting until becoming the GM in 2016. Now when I look back over the last 20 years he has been involved with scouting, in charge of scouting, and then finally the GM......our drafts have been pathetic. That is putting it nicely. At least 90% of our draft picks in that time have been HORRIBLE! The inability to draft has been by far the biggest issue on this team for 20 years. This has led to overspending and over reaching in FA, which has more often than not bit us in the butt.

Hopefully Flores' input and style has change the mentality of the types of players we are looking at.....but you can't deny Grier's track record with us so far has been pretty pathetic. Hopefully he can turn it around. However it makes you question how he was promoted to GM in the first place. I think a lot of it had to do with Tittybaum coming in and they needed a yes man. Just MHO. Pulling for him to turn this thing around!

I think coaching played a role as well in rookies not succeeding in Miami, not just Grier, Tannenbaum, Ireland, Hickeys decision making... Flores showed last year he can coach it up

You guys can't just talk out of both sides of your mouth. You're blaming Grier for picks when previous coaches were here, but then acting like Flores is "carrying" Grier. It's one or the other. Either Grier is picking all of those players or he's working with the coaches. For all you know Gase pounded the table for Charles Harris.

You act like the draft is this super serious thing. Andy Reid literally just asked Mahomes which RB he liked at the end of the 1st and he said Edwards-Helaire so they picked him.

Lol now all of a sudden Flores would've never chosen someone like Charles Harris. They'll twist the story to make it fit their narrative. All that said with no knowledge whatsoever of what happened behind the scenes.

:lol: fans

it absolutely is not either one or the other. There are two completely different power structures. Grier deserves credit, but to act like flores isn’t largely responsible for the turnaround this franchise has seen is silly imo.

all that said, give Grier credit for hiring flores.

now excuse me as I go watch my 80 year old governor address what she is gonna do w/ our state

That's so disingenuous. If the picks fail, you'll blame Grier 100% and you know it. It doesn't work both ways. Grier has final say. Doesn't matter who is in his ear.

Grier has not been a good GM up to this point. Hiring Flores good, everything else? Not so good. This draft will be the most telling about his player evaluation. One thing I have learned about Fin Nation is that they are loyal to a fault. They loved Ryan Tannehiil for 7 years too many, and Gase until he left, and everyone else until it became obvious they sucked. It will be the same with Grier.

Quite possibly the most ridiculous statement you've ever made.

I agree. I don’t know the inner workings of an NFL franchise, so I’m not going to assume any picks Grier made prior to being named the top guy after Tannenbaum’s firing.

What I do know is he’s done a great job of maximizing value and accumulating picks to set up the rebuild we’re undertaking. He also hired Flores which I think we can all agree looks like the right move so far.

He’s had two drafts as an evaluator. One was the beginning of a full on rebuild so I hope fans give him at least a couple of years to see how these things play out.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I’m not going to blame him for picks when he was a scout because I’m sure GMs weren’t putting their jobs on the line giving scouts the final decisions for every pick. We’ll just have to wait and see.

Well it also included 2 first rounders that are no longer here....jury is still out on that one. If you look at the drafts since 2016, it has not been great by any means. 2016 Tunsil was good, not great and now gone. Howard has been good, but missed 1/4 of his time injured, Drake was decent, now gone, Grant has been meh....the rest of that draft sucked. 2017 was a sad joke...next. 2018 Fitzpatrick was good, now gone, Gesiki has been a disappointment, shown some flashes, Baker has been solid and a nice surprise, Sanders has been good. 2019, Wilkins has been a bit of a disappointment, needs help, Gaskins got some playing time.

So what I am saying, not counting this year.....in the 4 drafts 2016-2019 this is all we have to show for it (excluding draft picks from trades):
Howard, good player when actually on the field.
Grant solid contributor.
Harris and McMillian both busts to this point.
Ford, seen some playing time, made a few plays.
Gesiki disappointment so far.
Baker, good pick!
Sanders, solid kicker.
Smythe would not be on most teams
Ballage bust
Wilkins disappointment so far.
Dieter would be PS on most teams,
Gaskins (our QB was our leading rusher last year).

This is what we have to show for 4 drafts and 29 picks.

This is an issue and has been an issue for a long time.

I wouldn't say Wilkins has been a disappointment so far. I thought he had a solid rookie season in 2019. I like him better at DT than DE, though.

As I said if this roster doesn't work out, the entire front office, staff and even the owner can go. This rebuild reminds me of the year Parcels came in and tore **** down. Jimmy came in and the edict was "win one for Danny-boy". It became clear that the two egos were not going to mesh and had to give. When Bill came in he removed the dysfunction that had languished post-Jimmy. Then we go into the same cycle with all of Parcels goons and the experiment needed to end.

Last year's tear down was needed. It was long over due and hopefully it works because I don't think anyone on this board wants to rehash the last two tear down failures.

I hear what you’re saying, but I think at that point when Parcells took over he was done, cooked, he just didn’t admit it to himself. And then burned out completely after two years especially when Henne fizzled. This regime is young, fresh, hungry and motivated.

Back
Top Bottom