Tannehill, Gase & Tannenbaum: Epic Failures | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill, Gase & Tannenbaum: Epic Failures

.... no we don’t. TBAUM is the worst. I love Chris Grier though.
I think he meant Grier. The last 2 drafts were so out of character for TBum that many of us think that Ross gave Grier in tandem with Gase a free decision-making hand. And I've already said that I'm almost 180 degrees turned positively around on Grier after being more than skeptical for a long time.

I think he meant Grier. The last 2 drafts were so out of character for TBum that many of us think that Ross gave Grier in tandem with Gase a free decision-making hand. And I've already said that I'm almost 180 degrees turned positively around on Grier after being more than skeptical for a long time.
3YPC also agrees with this statement. They had a podcast in the off-season strictly about how awful Tannenbaum is and how they suspect Grier and Gase have seized complete control of the draft board. I honestly just imagine Tannenbaum being drunk in the draft room calling up a bunch of GMs offering a bunch of ludicrous trades and Grier subtlety cutting the line. When I’m really upset, to cheer myself up I try and think of all the outrageous things that Tannenbaum has whispered into Ross’s ear to even be apart of this franchise still. It makes no sense.

7 years in and we are still having the same debate and hearing the same excuses. We don’t have our QB yet. We have a few placeholders.

Why would anyone need to make an excuse for a QB that led a below average roster to the playoffs? We keep having these debates because people keep ignoring reality.

Here are the debates of the first 5 years:

Doubters' premises:
1. He was a WR in college, he'll never adjust to the pro game (false)
2. He hands are too small, he'll fumble all the time (false)
3. He can't read defenses (false)
4. He can't throw the long ball (false}
5. He locks onto one receiver (false and mutually exclusive with the next)
6. He leaves the primary receiver too quickly and checks down all the time (false)
7. He never looks off defenders (false)
8. All the team needs is for him go achieve an 88 passer rating (met and goal post moved)
9. All he needs to do is lead the team to the playoffs (met and goal post moved)
10. He needs to be a leader and get in people's faces (not the rookies!!! or the practice squad players)

Supporters' premises:
1. With better coaching, he'll be fine (true)
2. With a better OL, sacks will go down and he'll be fine (true)
3. Mike Wallace sucks (true)
4. Hartline is overrated (true)
5. Clabo, McKinnie, Martin, Thomas, Turner, etc, etc, etc all suck (true, true, true, true, true, true, etc, etc, etc)
6. Joe Philbin sucks and should not be a HC (true)
7. Mike Sherman is a dinosaur and shouldn't be in the league anymore (true)
8. Bill Lazor should not be an OC (true)
9. Tannehill should have the ability to audible (true)
10. They need to take advantage of play action passing (true)
11. They need to take advantage of his ability to throw on the run (true)
12. They need to take advantage of his running ability (true)

Last edited:
The day we drafted Tannehill, I was very disappointed, I thought he was a massive reach with the 1st round pick, but as any fan would do, I put my theories aside and rooted for Tannehill.

I'm going to go ahead and call BS here. I'd be willing to bet that your posting history on the other site would show negative comments from the first pass batted down at the line of scrimmage.

Had you told me that day, Tannehill would be our QB for the next 7 years and have zero playoff wins, I would have probably become physically ill.

Well he's only played in 5 seasons so your math needs work. So let's break it down.

Was the 2012 team a playoff winner that was derailed by their QB? How about the 2013 team? How many playoff winning teams allowed 58 sacks during the regular season? I'd be willing to bet the number is very very small. How many (if there are any) of those were with 2nd year QBs? I'd be willing to bet that number is zero. Care to make a wager?

2014 or 2015, which of those were playoff caliber teams? Many, many players from those teams were released. Which one's were the superstars that were wrongly released?

2016, new HC, new players, a professional offensive system. Result? Playoffs. No win for Tannehill, thanks, in part, to a cheap shot hit.

Watching Tannehill play last night against the Panthers brought back all the same feelings and questions I've had over the last 7 years.

Wait, I thought you set your theories aside. How long did that last for?

Why did we draft this guy? Why don't we bring in a competent QB to compete with him in the off season? Why can't anyone in the Dolphins organization see what so many of the fans can see? Tannehill can't read defenses. Tannehill has awful pocket presence. Tannehill can't deliver in the red zone. Tannehill can't call effective audibles. After 7 years Tannehill hasn't appeared to get any better either.

Because none of that is true.

Many people have blamed last night's awful offensive performance on Gase and the play calling. Awful as it was, a QB with 7 years experience, given the ball inside the 10 yard line should score a Touchdown.

Are you suggesting that every QB with 5 (not 7) years of experience scores a TD in that situation every single time? Care to make another wager?

On 3rd and goal from the 20, a good QB would not allow his team to run a draw play virtually guaranteeing the drives failure.

No this just shows a complete lack of understanding of how football is played.

Well that's my 1st post, I hope you guys won't hate me for my opinion, my dream is to see this team win a super bowl before I die, I just don't think any of the guys mentioned in the title will be around here when it happens.

If that is your dream, then I suggest you hope the Dolphins don't follow your advice.

There seem to be two common traits among many in the anti-Tannehill crowd. First, they reiterate the nonsense that Tannehill has 7 years of experience, over and over. Somehow they think that making a false statement makes their case stronger. Second, they all made their mind up before he was even drafted.[/QUOTE]

Funny I'd think some of those moves you disapprove of are better off to experiment with in these games that don't have the same importance. You know if I could believe like possibly you do that the team can just turn on a switch and everything works perfectly I'd agree with you 100%.
Why then even have these games they just bring high odds for injury...But the real world doesn't work that way....yet,lol

But in my world the more you develop and learn whats needed by actually confronting these challenging situation which in itself maybe should be looked at as to why we are in those situation but understand that they are not sadly out of our to often normal difficult situations. Practice them as in a real game and statistically the better off a shot you will have to overcome and gain a level of success. It's not as if this team is there and doesn't need the experience...badly

And if in a Game that means something, Grant doesn't jump properly to achieve the completion (bad timing, poor hands) and misses the reception ...... Life as usual.....
Another interesting concept always play to WIN......Its a strong foundation to build ones character on...again JMO

Just like the Panthers going for 2 after the first TD. Who cares about showing things on film. They mean nothing if you can't execute them in the game.

about the same age as the OP (btw welcome to Finheaven!) .

I'm still optimistic though but can completely understand the pessimism .

Coach Gase took a rag tag group to the playoffs in his 1st year here. the 2nd year was obviously a DISASTER due to our QB going down before the season started. Very confident that we'll be back in the playoffs again this season . biggest concern is the DT position but like I said, overall I am pretty damn optimistic in the team. GO FINS!

about the same age as the OP (btw welcome to Finheaven!) .

I'm still optimistic though but can completely understand the pessimism .

Coach Gase took a rag tag group to the playoffs in his 1st year here. the 2nd year was obviously a DISASTER due to our QB going down before the season started. Very confident that we'll be back in the playoffs again this season . biggest concern is the DT position but like I said, overall I am pretty damn optimistic in the team. GO FINS!
Also being dispossessed by the hurricane, not making it home for several weeks and facing 3 of the top league QBs in the first 6 games aside from the Cutler clusterfork. Oh did I mention the deprivation of a bye week to catch everyone's breath? And then there was Ajayi going psycho and we're hearing that Landry wouldn't or couldn't run certain routes.

But the anal-ysts among us choose to overlook those aspects. Hell! The more I think about it, given all the obstacles and deck stacked against the team, Gase did as masterful a job eking out 6 wins from that mess as he did taking that odd assortment to the playoffs..

Hello Finheaven posters, I'm ChadRico, I'm new to Finheaven, I come from another Dolphins message board Fieldchatter.com/Dolphins but our numbers have started to widdle away over the last couple of years, so I'm happy to be joining a more active board.

I have been a fan of the Dolphins since I was 4 years old, I am now 34 and have to say, I have never been so disappointed in the direction of this franchise. I can't remember entering a season with such little excitement and low expectations.

The day we drafted Tannehill, I was very disappointed, I thought he was a massive reach with the 1st round pick, but as any fan would do, I put my theories aside and rooted for Tannehill. Had you told me that day, Tannehill would be our QB for the next 7 years and have zero playoff wins, I would have probably become physically ill.

Watching Tannehill play last night against the Panthers brought back all the same feelings and questions I've had over the last 7 years. Why did we draft this guy? Why don't we bring in a competent QB to compete with him in the off season? Why can't anyone in the Dolphins organization see what so many of the fans can see? Tannehill can't read defenses. Tannehill has awful pocket presence. Tannehill can't deliver in the red zone. Tannehill can't call effective audibles. After 7 years Tannehill hasn't appeared to get any better either.

Many people have blamed last night's awful offensive performance on Gase and the play calling. Awful as it was, a QB with 7 years experience, given the ball inside the 10 yard line should score a Touchdown. On 3rd and goal from the 20, a good QB would not allow his team to run a draw play virtually guaranteeing the drives failure.

The recent "culture change" that Adam Gase and Tannenbaulm have overseen has left our roster in absolute shambles. From over paying McCain to signing aging players like Gore and Amendola our roster is old and has gaping holes at the linebacker positions as well as the defensive line. I understand Suh was being paid too much and letting him go was wise to help solidify the cap situation, but why did we turn around and pay Amendola and Wilson the same money we could have used to keep Landry? Landry was not bad for our "culture" I don't care what Gase says, the guy was our best player and by a large margin.

The VP if Football Operations Mike Tannenbaulm was the worst hire Stephen Ross could have made. I knew the day he was hired, it was basically ushering in the dark ages for the Dolphins franchise. Our team has no future until this rat is fired.

Well that's my 1st post, I hope you guys won't hate me for my opinion, my dream is to see this team win a super bowl before I die, I just don't think any of the guys mentioned in the title will be around here when it happens.
Well you have got all three of them Together on this thread so we would need to rate them as a group. The first year as a group they made the playoffs at 10-6 and Tannehill had his best season as a NFL QB. We are waiting on season 2’s results. Therefore your point has no merit. Like I said you mention them all in the same breath so you can only go off the one year. Year 1 QB did good. Tannabaum and the front office have drafted well and hit and missed on a couple FA. No team hits 100% and are lucky to hit on 50%. Coach is 1-1 in W-L seasons. Way premature.

.... no we don’t. Look at the Alonso and Branch signings.. gross. TBAUM is an absolute baboon. I assume that Chris Grier has everything to do with out draft picks. I like me some Chris Grier.

So Grier had everything to do with everything you like and Tannenbaum had everything to do with everything you hate?

Back
Top Bottom