The #3 pick has too much value to simply pick a player | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The #3 pick has too much value to simply pick a player

Then you'd be a TERRIBLE GM if you moved 3 spots back and only got a 2nd rounder.
If you get your top pick at 6, I'd rather have the top pick plus a 2nd rounder than just the top pick.

But yes, I would want more in a trade down as well.

If we can get an extra 3 this yr and a 1st next yr, staying in the top ten. I do it . Parsons ,Waddle ,Slater,Pitts .Picking again at 18 . with the pick we picked up in the 3rd we could combine with our 1st to get 2 of these guys. Waddle if healthy is more of what we need than Smith, who I love. If we could add Pitts, wow. Slater is a monster at tackle and Parsons could make our def. eliteThe other thought is we draft a qb at 3 either Wilson or Fields. Next yr there is a very weak qb class. Let either player compete with Tua if Tua fails we could get a package much better than we gave up for Rosen as Tua has already done more. If Tua becomes the QB we hope he hope he is, we have a potential franchise qb in either Fields or Wilson who are now 1 yr more experienced in the NFL that we can trade in a yr where there are no stud college qbs.
You think Slater is going that high?

What Miami lacks are elite level players. X and Sanders are the only two on the team. Imagine where Miami would have finished without those two this year. Unless the price is right, the 4 elite players ( Sewell, Smith, Chase, Parsons) likely on the board at #3 when Miami picks are too good to pass up on one them. Dropping any lower than 6 would be a mistake imo unless they are sure Detroit would trade up for a QB at 7 ensuring one of those would be on the board.

Of course the Jets aren’t guaranteed to take a QB, so they would likely draft one of the 4. Maybe that would raise the offers coming Miami’s way.

At least the off season isn’t going to be boring as a Dolphin fan.

I'm with many, liking a trade down to 4-8, for picks and still getting Smith or Chase, but I don't think it's a sure thing that we get any decent offers. Do we go down to 10-20 or more for a massive draft haul over 2 (or 3) years, but give up any chance at the elite top non qb's?

What Miami lacks are elite level players. X and Sanders are the only two on the team. Imagine where Miami would have finished without those two this year. Unless the price is right, the 4 elite players ( Sewell, Smith, Chase, Parsons) likely on the board at #3 when Miami picks are too good to pass up on one them. Dropping any lower than 6 would be a mistake imo unless they are sure Detroit would trade up for a QB at 7 ensuring one of those would be on the board.

Of course the Jets aren’t guaranteed to take a QB, so they would likely draft one of the 4. Maybe that would raise the offers coming Miami’s way.

At least the off season isn’t going to be boring as a Dolphin fan.
If those are your 4 targets, you don't trade down further than where you are assured of getting one of them.

And I don’t see any Dion Jordans in this draft so I doubt a team is hungry enough to trade up to #3 to take such a infinitesimal impact player.

I think it is funny that some of you are projecting so many things that will not happen.
1. The odds of us trading down are low. First off the Jets probably want to trade down to. Last year the Lions and Redskins were begging to trade down and no one including us bit. That was with two QB's on the board.
2. Everyone thinking we are getting a treasure trove of picks to move down a few slots. I don't give a rats ass if we only get a 2nd, we will still get a stud if we only move down a few spots. We can get a decent haul but that entails moving down quite a bit.
3. Studs are had for the most part in the top 10 of the draft. If we trade back for quantity over quality we miss on the Earl Thomases of the World for the Koa Misi's and Jared Odricks, jags.

I predict if we are stuck at 3 we go in this order if available
Sewell
If Sewell is off the board, it will depend on what we picked up in FA, if we get a WR then Parsons will be in play, if not Smith/Chase will be it.

Last edited:
Miami has made this mistake before. Trying to get multiple talented players vs 1.

Instead of getting a player like Earl Thomas, they traded back for Jared Odrick and Koa Misi.

Stay at 3.
Agree 100% though we traded #14 where Thomas went and we went to the bottom of the first to get Odrick at 28. If we move from #3 hopefully it's still top 7-8 where we should still be able to get a big time difference maker along with another 2nd rounder/2022 pick.

Sure and the #1 has even more value than #3 someone should tell Jacksoville to forgo selecting Lawrence. The haul they could get could be franchise altering. We might never pick this high again for a while, I rather draft a blue chip player.
Facts

I am definitely intrigued with trading back and can also see why we would want to stay at 3. It's still early yet, and I am curious to hear about the position depth of this draft after the combine, etc. Crossing my fingers that the deepest positions align with our major needs.

Miami has made this mistake before. Trying to get multiple talented players vs 1.

Instead of getting a player like Earl Thomas, they traded back for Jared Odrick and Koa Misi.

Stay at 3.
Instead of getting Randy Moss....Jimmy Johnson got John Avery, Brad Jackson, Scott Shaw and John Dutton.....

Instead of getting Randy Moss....Jimmy Johnson got John Avery, Brad Jackson, Scott Shaw and John Dutton.....
I'm confused about your stance.

Do you think the past is relevant, or do you not?

If it is, historically, WR isn't a good value, without trading down.

If it isn't, then what different regimes have done in the past has no bearing on the present.

I'm not discounting the need for offensive weaponry, just the rationalization being made.

Sure and the #1 has even more value than #3 someone should tell Jacksoville to forgo selecting Lawrence. The haul they could get could be franchise altering. We might never pick this high again for a while, I rather draft a blue chip player.
Trading down a few spots won’t change access to a blue chip player. I think that’s the OP’s point.

You can make this argument for every team in the TOP 10. And if they all see it as you do, the people trading away assets to get one of the possible elites....will benefit. The rich get richer.

The Watson stuff is nonsense. And goes against the philosophy Ross, Grier and Flores all advocated and sold their fan base on.
I think the point is that the number 3 pick figures to be a prime QB spot and Miami is unlikely to want a QB and can thus move down a few spots to a team that wants to ensure they get their QB. The package may be too good to pass up. It also depends on how much separation Miami sees in the talent between non-QBs in the top 10.

Back
Top Bottom