This Would Be The Impact On The Dolphins’ Cap If Tannehill Is Released, Traded Or Out Long-term | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Would Be The Impact On The Dolphins’ Cap If Tannehill Is Released, Traded Or Out Long-term

I'm not against Tannehill, but this would have to be his season to show me if this team can make a run at contention. If we fail to make the playoffs this year, then I don't see why the current QB might not be in the team's plans any longer. Let's find some prospects with potential and roll the dice on them for a year. If that doesn't work out, then you go to the draft looking for your QB.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Well I can say the same thing about McCain. Let's not act like his best position is outside corner when he is a better slot corner.

I’m with you. McCain’s a better slot minkahs a better safety although he’s been damn good slot to date.

Long term I think that’s where they both shake out.

He Gawn on Tannehide Post June 1st cut just like Suh.

We need to find a ta taker on Jones.I love him but his contract is overly rediculous!

Bridge would be a gap signee til 2020.I still think Finley is gonna be a solid QB in the 2019 draft.

I have a few items I want to talk about Tannehills future with us, including the effect of his salary on payroll, and what the team seems to be doing about it.

1) For the immediate future I see Tannehill as our 1st string QB. His demonstrated skill set and his play under Gase makes him the best chance the team has for winning in the near term.

2) Availability is the best ability.
  • Tannehill has shown enormous physical toughness during his time in Miami. Most good QB's get a big injury sometime during their career and continue to play well after missing a year.
  • Unfortunately for both Tannehill and the Dolphins, he may be on the brink of a second big injury which would put him in the position of having 2 back to back long term injuries with long term recovery periods and almost no playing time in between the injuries.
  • Assuming he has 5 good years left, this would mean he looses 2 of the his final 6 years and they are almost back to back. It would probably take another year on the field to get back into top form. That would give him 3 out of 6 years. No team can accept that.
  • All this implies that if his current injury will require surgery and a long recovery time then his availability alone would mean we are better off with another good NFL quality QB.

3) All experienced 1st string QB's cost a lot of money and it seem to me it turns into a 50-50 proposition in regards to long term success.
  • This means that getting a new QB will cost us as much if not more money then we are now spending.
  • If we find a draft pick that appears to meet our needs, then our cost is lower, but so is the probability that they become the QB we want. It's like this for every team in the NFL. The draft route usually means less money spent on the QB, but it will take a longer time to find and develop a top grade QB- probably 5 to 6 years.

4) The Dolphins front office has been seriously looking for a potential replacement QB for the last 2 seasons.
  • Jay Cutler was the first serious selection they made. Curiously enough, he was just finished recovering from a shoulder surgery and it had a negative effect on his deep ball. Even coming out of retirement his cost was 10 million dollars, which is about half of a veteran NFL salary. He was not the worst QB in the NFL in 2017.
  • Gase was spending a lot of time with one potential draft pick last year, but our position in the draft made him an improbable choice.
  • Why do you think we started this year with 4 QB's on the team? Could this have been the beginning of a focused plan by the front office to find and start the development of a future 1st string QB? To me it clearly was.
  • Picking up Osweiler at the veteran minimum was a godsend. He has some real potential, real time experience in the NFL and he is not too beaten up. On top of that he already has at least 2 years experience with the coaches system.
  • We brought in Falk. Again we got a QB with some NFL experience who isn't too beat up.
  • I would not be surprised if we draft a QB next year in the middle or end of the draft or an undrafted free agent.
Summary:
  1. We currently have our QB for the next few years in Tannehill. If his current injury or another serious injury occurs that takes him out of action for a prolonged period of time this year he will be replaced by the front office and the coaching staff.
  2. If we replace Tannehill this year, I think Osweiler will be the QB.
  3. If we replace Tannehill this year, next year there will be a competition between Osweiler, Falk and a third QB who will be brought in.
  4. Next year will be a "prove it year" for whoever is our QB.
  5. If we make it to the Superbowl, the QB search will either stall or become more intense depending on how well we play and who might be available.
I like Tannehill and hope he can overcome this injury. I have always been a big fan of Tannehill. If he can't overcome injury, I will thank him for what he has done and support whoever replaces him. In either case I think the front office is on top of this, to the degree any top office is ready to find a better QB for their team.

Would you rather have Tyrod Taylor I think he got 14 million this year which would be the savings that we would have if we cut Tannehill
Well they are in same bracket. They both are going be backup soon.ur not winning sb w none of them

17mil is nothing for a starting QB. Besides, there aren't many other options, and slim pickings in the draft. Let him go this offseason, and we'll be right back I'm the days of Cleo Lemon and Ray Lucas.

I understand that some folks don't like him, but I think many forget that it could be much, much worse.
the top QB are worth 20 plus. thill17 is what he is avg QB rank 27 in nfl....why are dolphins scare up grade. No defense scare of thill17. Either way it going be hard decision. I don't have my job on line. We will see what happens.

Falk is a rookie I wouldn’t say he has NFL experience. Played pre season games with the titans at most.

What teams are truly in the market for a QB in next year's draft?? Ya, think long and hard on that one.

It could very well be a draft year where a team picking in the twenties can get a steal at the QB position.

Everyone knows the Giants are drafting a QB in the first round, but what other teams?

The Patriots...yes, but perhaps not in the first round.
The Saints...yes, but again,perhaps not in the first round.
The Steelers....same story.
Chargers? same story

The Bucs might be a dark horse.

I’m just happy we didn’t get Rosen. My god man...

the wide open guys he doesnt see.. they didnt even mention the slant that Kirk ran completely alone in front of Rosen woukda been 70 yd td and he throws INT to a double covered wr to his right.

RT as a rookie with 1/2 the experience never had this kknd of vision problem. not sure if he’ll survive physically either.

Tanne has played his last game as a dolphin. Thank god

I don't know about last game but these things tend to end sooner than you think. I remember mentioning that last season, "Like objects in a mirror, finality is closer than it appears."

Mahomes is already a pain in the rear. I make no apologies for rooting against the Chiefs on Monday Night. You'll only get so many chances to defeat that team, given how many points Kansas City puts up, and New England at home is one of them. I didn't want to drift into Thanksgiving or later with the Chiefs unbeaten.

I mention that because I don't see how any team in the AFC could be content with a Ryan Tannehill type, given what Mahomes is doing. Especially a Tannehill type who has now missed or will miss at least 23 of his last 28 eligible starts dating to late 2016, if he's indeed out for Houston next Thursday.

Mahomes could be one of those annoying guys who starts several seasons during his career with long winning streaks.

The team will have to position itself for a high draft pick with a mediocre draft position.
Trading away some of our best players to get into position may be our only option.
Otherwise, suck in 2019 and win 2 games for one of the top QB picks in 2020.
They should start Fales in 2019.
Appropriate.
That is probably why they keep him around.

The team will have to position itself for a high draft pick with a mediocre draft position.
Trading away some of our best players to get into position may be our only option.
Otherwise, suck in 2019 and win 2 games for one of the top QB picks in 2020.
They should start Fales in 2019.
Appropriate.
That is probably why they keep him around.

I want Tua Tagovailoa in 2020.

We just got the ball out quick by design and ran the ball with success to manage the sticks and not let them tee off with the pass rush. And our pass pro tackles played like it.

That simple. Same formula we can beat Detroit with.

Won’t be enough to beat Houston though. Os is gonna have to shoulder more and not be the reason we lose.

But it’s a mulligan game either way provided we win sunday.

Houston's offensive line has been rated #32 by pff
Led by tackle Julie’n Davenport who is on pace for some rarified air through the first six weeks of the season. He already has given up 17 combined sacks and hits, which leads all offensive linemen by six. Maybe more impressively, though, is that he’s combined that with a ridiculous nine penalties, which also leads all linemen.

104 offensive linemen with at least 100 snaps so far this season have graded out higher than Nick Martin – the Texans’ highest-graded offensive lineman. That should tell you everything you need to know about why they’re ranked this low.

Time for our defensive front to EAT

Back
Top Bottom