Thompson > Bridgewater (???) | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Thompson > Bridgewater (???)

I agreed.

Even if Thompson looks better then Teddy, the only way he overtakes Teddy is if he is world's better then him.

Experience is way to important in a season to take a chance on a Rookie that looked a bit better then the Vet.

Next year Is another story, if Thompson is still with Miami, and continues to play well, the Cheaper Thompson might take the backup position.
I believe your scenario is much more likely than Thompson winning the backup position this season.

I like Thompson and hope the Dolphins can keep him on the PS during this coming season while he hopefully develops into a QB who they feel can be Tua’s backup in 2023.

I like Teddy and I feel comfortable with him as a back up for a few games as long as our Defense is playing tough. But but.

He was a 7th round draft pick. If they were actually concerned about Bridgewater as a backup, they wouldn’t have signed him in the first place.

While I agree that the season likely won’t go well if Tua goes down. That is the case with every team in the NFL if they lose their starting QB for most if not all of the season.

Bridgewater is better than the majority of the backup QB’s in the league and that’s about all you can expect if Tua is injured.
I really hated his years on the Broncos, just terrible. If Tua stays healthy, all is good

ST will not be retained in the practice squad. Some team, probably BB, will steal him.
He was a 7th round pick. So I will be extremely surprised if any team decides to claim him on waivers and add him to their 53 man roster.
I think it’s more likely he signs with another teams PS if he believes he has a better opportunity to make that teams roster in the future. Yet with Bridgewater on just a one year contract, his best opportunity to be a backup in the future is likely in Miami.

I liked seeing this in the camp report. I'd love Thompson to beat out Bridgewater for QB2 and I'm happy to hear Doaks is still making plays after getting elevated to 2nd team reps.

— Skylar Thompson completed 5 of 8 passes, his last pass a touchdown to running back Gerrid Doaks in a red-zone drill when Doaks slipped open on the right side. Thompson's best pass was a relatively short throw outside to Mohamed Sanu where he put a lot of zip on the ball.

It seems like every year an UDF or late round drafted rookie or two looks great before the preseason games start and some people project that they will replace one of the veterans. The majority of the time these players end up getting cut and the veteran makes the team.

The only way I see Thompson remaining a Dolphin after all the cuts are made is if he is signed to the PS after he clears waivers.
Bridgewater will be the backup for the Dolphins unless he is injured in preseason. Thompson might eventually make a decent backup for the Dolphins or another team in the future but I just don’t see him making the final 53 or being the Dolphins backup QB this coming season.
This. Skylar could very well become better than TBridge, but for this year, at least, you keep the vet. I hope we see neither in the regular season.

Assuming that Thompson continues to impress, my first inclination is to keep 3 QBs this year; some teams do.

Because if he continues to play well, he wont make it through waivers. Some sub-500 team with QB problems will claim him. Hell... the Jets might claim him just to get a better feel for our playbook.

If he looks bad in a preseason game... then problem solved.

It wouldn't make sense to cut TB. If ST clearly beats him out I could see them shopping TB for a trade.

I checked out some videos of him after we drafted him and my take away was that he was a good fit for a McD type system. He had a bit of Tony Romo to his game. Good mobility and decent on those quick passes. I thought his accuracy was so-so.

I get the impression that Miami felt there might be some competition trying to sign ST as a FA. That's often a big consideration in the late rounds. You have several guys rated closely talent-wise, but if you think you might have to fight to sign a guy you might just use a a late pick on him. IIRC McD even said something hinting at that on the draft day phone call.

My opinion going into camp was that TB would be easily better this year, but I could see ST taking over the back-up in a year or two. But early camp reports put that competition a lot closer. I don't know if they can realistically hope to sneak ST on to the PS. (Especially if they were right that other teams may have wanted to sign him as an UDFA). If he plays that well in preseason and they don't trade TB, they may be forced to carry 3 QBs.

So come the first preseason game: TB first half; ST second half?

It'll likely be Bridgewater for most of the game (IDK) - my assumption. Your guess?

Back
Top Bottom