Training Camp Updates - Day Five | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Training Camp Updates - Day Five

Were the "amazing" spurts only in college?

PS: Rosen wasn't cheap. He was a 2nd round pick where we bid against ourselves. This is a round where you can still nab guys like Xavien Howard.

But more likely to land John Beck or Philip Merling. Just sayin...you have a chance at a talented young QB, it's hard to argue against it. Drafted top 10 the year before. He's 22 years old. Had an awful situation behind an O-line with three street free agents by the early part of the season. You have no idea if they were 'bidding against themselves.' New Orleans traded a second next year just to move up in the second round as a comparison (swapped 4th and 6th picks as well).

Just because QB's are starting earlier, doesn't mean that's the correct avenue to take.

The great Tom Brady was closer to being released then he was taking Bledsoe's job in the preseason of 2000.

Does anyone remember All-World Patrick Mahomes' 2017 season? Me either.

Josh Rosen will be entering his prime in about 5 years, likely peaking in about 8 years.

Sometimes the old timers have it right, just saying.
That exact rhetoric is why we wasted 7 years on Tannehill.

Stop looking at the exceptions to make your argument rather than the endless amount of QBs who washed out of the league because from Day one until their last day they didn't show anything.

There's a big difference between a QB showing something but lacking consistency, and a guy who looks mediocre at best day after day after day. The latter will get you fired.

If Rosen comes out of the gate and has some amazing games and some garbage games, then I'll be on board for grooming him and giving him time, but an entire offseason of reports has him looking like Chad Henne. Is that worth the excuses?

You guys kill me with the criticism of Rosen in his first week of TC. Rodgers spent 2 years on the bench behind Favre. Not all QBs are ready to start on Day 1. Scheme clearly matters along with how comfortable the QB is with his personnel.

Why everyone here is wishing for a 0-16 season after reading 5 days worth of tweets is hysterical. You'd rather write off a guy after a week and pray for another unproven QB like Tua or Herbert, but even if we do get them, they're going to need time too.

You're all ****ed in the head, but it's hilarious to read

Well said and it was actually THREE years Rodgers sat behind Favre believe it or not. Just remember that this is the board where some "knowledgeable" fans will also contend that Aaron Rodgers is overrated. Lol. Read that one earlier today. The comparatives were Brady and Brees. Translation = if you're not better than those two you must be overrated. Oh, ok....

Stop looking at the exceptions to make your argument rather than the endless amount of QBs who washed out of the league because from Day one until their last day they didn't show anything.

There's a big difference between a QB showing something but lacking consistency, and a guy who looks mediocre at best day after day after day. The latter will get you fired.

If Rosen comes out of the gate and has some amazing games and some garbage games, then I'll be on board for grooming him and giving him time, but an entire offseason of reports has him looking like Chad Henne. Is that worth the excuses?
I'd say, 'only looking at offseason reports to make a final judgement?!'

How about the Chargers drafting Philip Rivers because they weren't sold on Brees? Or Jimmy Johnson giving up a first rounder to get Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft because he had concluded Aikman was a loser and always would be. Those guys turned out alright. I want to see Rosen in real games against NFL players from another team, behind a line that gives him some half-decent protection.

I'd say, 'only looking at offseason reports to make a final judgement?!'
I'm not making a final judgment at all, but let's stop pretending like he didn't have an entire year in the NFL prior to this offseason also looking like garbage.

What I'm saying is that he's heading towards bust territory faster than he's showing signs of being the franchise quarterback the Dolphins were taking a shot on. Is that really sacrilege or has nobody learned their lesson from Tannehill?

This narrative that OF COURSE a guy with 14 years of sub-mediocre NFL performance is going to look better than your 2nd year elite franchise level QB hopeful...has to be my favorite.

I mean this is what . . . The 7th system/OC Rosen has had in 6 years?

Not to mention getting in here in May, nearly 2 months later than Fitz and coming off what was the worst team in the NFL?

Meanwhile comparing him to a QB who while certainly has had a mediocre at best NFL career, has had a recent history of looking great in camp/preseason/early regular season and has given people reason to doubt a #1 overall pick in Winston at times last year.

Yet your leg to stand on is “I’m done” 5 days into this camp and its unfathomable that Fitz is beating him out?

I mean the narrative that it is unthinkable that Fitz looks better than Rosen seems like a worse take than Fitz outperforming him at this stage.

Fitz got burn over Jameis
Tyrod got burn over Baker
Alex Smith started an entire year over Mahomes
Hell Tom Savage got the start over Watson in 2017

You definitely are jaded on this issue and i get that Rosen has not given you a reason to come off that stance but we sat up here and watched Tannhill for 7 damn years, I sure am willing to give Rosen more than 5 practices all while knowing its not the end of the world if he amounts to nothing. I endured people giving Ryan Tannehill every excuse in the book for far too long and while there is no way I want that issue with Rosen I can’t fathom how anybody can come to such conclusions this early in the process from as far away as we sit from it all.

Seriously stop propping the potential of some positional player we could of drafted over the chance at developing a legit talent at QB for cheap. It is a losing argument for anybody who understands the needs of building a successful team in this league.

How about the Chargers drafting Philip Rivers because they weren't sold on Brees? Or Jimmy Johnson giving up a first rounder to get Steve Walsh in the supplemental draft because he had concluded Aikman was a loser and always would be. Those guys turned out alright. I want to see Rosen in real games against NFL players from another team, behind a line that gives him some half-decent protection.
Quick...

I'll make a list of QBs that started their careers off looking like busts and eventually turned into really good players and you make a list of all the QBs that were drafted into the league, didn't do anything great, and never made it to their second contracts.

We'll see who has the bigger list.

I'm not making a final judgment at all, but let's stop pretending like he didn't have an entire year in the NFL prior to this offseason also looking like garbage.

What I'm saying is that he's heading towards bust territory faster than he's showing signs of being the franchise quarterback the Dolphins were taking a shot on. Is that really sacrilege or has nobody learned their lesson from Tannehill?

Learned our lesson? What can we do about it?

Bust? He's yet to play a game for the Dolphins. You've made your mind up on him already so you love this narrative out of TC.

You have to ignore some poster sometimes. I like @AZStryker but sometimes he gets a little giddy and excitable.

Touché! Though I just can’t get behind starting a guy who gets us further from being competitive in the future. We all know what Fitz is, a replacement level qb. He won’t make it through the entire season based on his play anyway, so why postpone the inevitable? Just for fun we’ll play devil’s advocate. Even if Fitz does somehow avoid getting the hook and miraculously leads us to 8-8, isn’t that a worst case scenario? Now all these picks go towards moving up instead of building the team.

My goal, and hopefully the team’s goal, is to have an absolute concrete understanding of Josh Rosen. If they can do that in training camp practices fine, but then I have to wonder about their due diligence in evaluating him before we shipped out a 2nd rounder as these negative reports are all concerns that have been around for a while.

Just a few things IMHO as I read through this thread. #1, you guys are WAYYYYY overblowing the not identifying the Mike LB, as in many offenses the center does this and Pouncey use to do it a lot. Also Rosen is 22 years old going into his second year in a brand new offense/team. You are comparing him to a dude that has 15 years on NFL experience and almost 200 TDs thrown under his belt. He has good charisma and has been liked by players everywhere he plays because he is very loose. He has played good to amazing in spurts of his career. So for anyone thinking Rosen should be closer at this point, man PLEASE!

I actually like this approach to Rosen as he was selected in the first round for a reason. However, we have and have had MAJOR OL issues to the point our OL coach just got canned. I am glad Fitzpatrick is out there right now because he can handle what is going on right now better than Rosen can at this point of his career. This is a good opportunity for Rosen to learn from a Vet who has seen a lot, not only on how to play the position....but also how to deal with people.

Give Rosen some time, and don't throw him to the wolves like he was in AZ....we don't have to do that. We got him on the cheap and he has time to develop to see what we have or maybe don't have. ANYONE who thinks he should be on the same level as Fitz right now, really needs to take a look at the bigger picture here as to where both players are in their careers.

5-10 years ago I would have agreed with you completely, but nowadays QBs are stepping in day 1 and producing. I think that recently the odds of making a massive jump from year one are far less likely.

Touché! Though I just can’t get behind starting a guy who gets us further from being competitive in the future. We all know what Fitz is, a replacement level qb. He won’t make it through the entire season based on his play anyway, so why postpone the inevitable? Just for fun we’ll play devil’s advocate. Even if Fitz does somehow avoid getting the hook and miraculously leads us to 8-8, isn’t that a worst case scenario? Now all these picks go towards moving up instead of building the team.

My goal, and hopefully the team’s goal, is to have an absolute concrete understanding of Josh Rosen. If they can do that in training camp practices fine, but then I have to wonder about their due diligence in evaluating him before we shipped out a 2nd rounder as these negative reports are all concerns that have been around for a while.

Dolphins have an entire scouting department and personnel team that probably dumped 1000 of hours scouting this kid in 2018.

It really is very simple. Miami saw an opportunity to pick up a talented QB, age 22, for a very late 2nd round pick, that they felt they bring in an attempt to develop for their football team.

There was no better value to be had at that pick. There are no guarantees . . . Roll the dice on the QB.

What happens from there is all on player and coaches, but they did not make the wrong move here in acquiring Rosen for what they gave up for him.

I'll start worrying about Rosen after we're in live games. The first 4 practices of touching a ball since December isn't reason to jump of the bridge.....imo

Back
Top Bottom