Tua Wasn't Comfortable Last Year | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua Wasn't Comfortable Last Year

He’s coming off a major hip injury that he spent all offseason rehabbing with no preseason and an OC who cut the playbook in half when he played. All the stuff we already knew.

He’ll be much better in Year 2, not even worried.

Pete wrote a book on how to hit.

Amazon product ASIN 0399511644
But if you look back and see how little any of his advice actually helped his players, you'll see that it didn't help.
Some of his players commented on this at the time. Made comments to the press that his advice just boiled down to 'just hit it'.
I was a huge Reds fan during the Big Red Machine days and followed this closely... then he became a horrible coach.
Great player, very intuitive... lousy person.

"I didn't actually know the playbook, necessarily, really, really good, and that's no one else's fault but my fault. Our playcalls were simple when I was in."

As quoted from ESPN. He couldn't grasp a dumbed down version of an outdated playbook?

That tells me that either he didn't dive into it, or he's not half as smart as people claim he is.
I dont think the game had slowed down enough for him to act on what he was being taught, but there are those here who are just desperate to blame Chan Gailey for Tua's failure... even after Tua admits that it was HIS fault.

That's some serious denial.

I dont think the game had slowed down enough for him to act on what he was being taught, but there are those here who are just desperate to blame Chan Gailey for Tua's failure... even after Tua admits that it was HIS fault.

...that type of denial screams at me to challenge it.

I'm on fence with this. Tua has an arm. There is zero excuse for Chan to NEVER throw the ball down field. Never throwing the deep ball hurts every aspect of our Offensive capability and was poor play calling. I'm shocked we won 6 games under Tua with Chan play calls.
I'm shocked Ahmed and Gaskin finished with 4 YPC when you aren't throwing deeper than 12 yards.

I'm on fence with this. Tua has an arm. There is zero excuse for Chan to NEVER throw the ball down field. Never throwing the deep ball hurts every aspect of our Offensive capability and was poor play calling. I'm shocked we won 6 games under Tua with Chan play calls.
Tua checked down an awful lot, and the team has been reasonably open about Tua missing reads.
...and let's be honest, when Tua did throw deep... Clank Grant would drop it.

Better personnel should really help here.

Tua checked down an awful lot, and the team has been reasonably open about Tua missing reads.
...and let's be honest, when Tua did throw deep... Clank Grant would drop it.

Better personnel should really help here.
I suffered a horrible injury in college and was just a TE. There is so much psychological pain that goes with a severe injury. It took me about 10 months to be able to run well. Hell, I walked weird for 6-7 months because my left leg had atrophied so badly. I remember when my cast came off...I have massive legs and my left leg looked like a dried up over cooked chicken wing. It was gross.

I suffered a horrible injury in college and was just a TE. There is so much psychological pain that goes with a severe injury. It took me about 10 months to be able to run well. Hell, I walked weird for 6-7 months because my left leg had atrophied so badly. I remember when my cast came off...I have massive legs and my left leg looked like a dried up over cooked chicken wing. It was gross.
LOL... I broke my wrist in a Mosh pit (Circle Jerks) back in the day... it took months before it was even close to being the same. I went through everything you just described.

LOL... I broke my wrist in a Mosh pit (Circle Jerks) back in the day... it took months before it was even close to being the same. I went through everything you just described.
For someone sitting so high up on the horse in this thread, you should probably leave out the part where you broke a wrist in a ****ing mosh pit haha credibility takes a hit

For someone sitting so high up on the horse in this thread, you should probably leave out the part where you broke a wrist in a ****ing mosh pit haha credibility takes a hit
I didn't mention that I've broken my pinky finger at least three times in mosh pits... I genuinely hate guys who wear button up shirts in a mosh pit. Those guys should be executed.

But if you look back and see how little any of his advice actually helped his players, you'll see that it didn't help.
Some of his players commented on this at the time. Made comments to the press that his advice just boiled down to 'just hit it'.
I was a huge Reds fan during the Big Red Machine days and followed this closely... then he became a horrible coach.
Great player, very intuitive... lousy person.
That was my team as well.

Not a Sparky Anderson, but not as bad of a manager/coach as you make him out to be.

Rose took over a losing team and their record and offense significantly improved after he became player/manager.

Took a team that had been 186-259 (.418) the previous three years and finished with a 412-373 (.525) record.

Wasn’t able to get the team to the top of the division, finishing in 2nd place four straight years. Only two divisions and no wildcard teams back then.

Had a bit of gambling problem though as I recall…addictions don’t negotiate.

Tua, super smart/accurate/coachable/ leaderjust told you to your face that basically, HE couldn't get the playbook down after 16 weeks...and you still find a way to put this on Gailey's coaching.

This reasoning is why there will always be a a Hatfield/McCoy relationship between haters and acolytes of Tua.
He didn't say he couldn't get the playbook down.

He said he was playing with a reduced playbook as a rookie, which is hardly unusual - especially in contrast to a Fitz who knows that play
"I didn't actually know the playbook, necessarily, really, really good, and that's no one else's fault but my fault. Our playcalls were simple when I was in."

As quoted from ESPN. He couldn't grasp a dumbed down version of an outdated playbook?

That tells me that either he didn't dive into it, or he's not half as smart as people claim he is.
Watch the interview - he clarified himself later as meaning he didn't have the full playbook available to him (as in audibles etc) presumably as he had so little time to get it down. It's still his responsibility to run the playbook, but the idea of not giving a rookie QB some slack having not had a preseason seems at the least uncharitable.

Seeing as many rookie QBs arent even deemed ready enough to start, i can't grasp why everyone doesn't view his rookie season as at the very least neutral and in reality a big positive.

Back
Top Bottom