Tua's Draft Decision January 6th (Decided To Enter Draft) | Page 67 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tua's Draft Decision January 6th (Decided To Enter Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what scares me, I would love Tua to fall into our laps at 5, but there are really 3 legitimate special players in this draft, what's to stop the Giant, Redskins or Lions from just taking Tua...Their present QBs?

All those teams have new coaching.

Tua injured is better then all of them, yet I don't want to trade up and lose draft picks.

If he's showing signs that he can be the QB he was at Alabama, then though it would kill me to trade up and lose picks...Have to get him.

Detroit won’t take him on account of Matt Patricia is coaching for his job and he needs players who can help him now. At that draft position he can draft a stud on defense that can help him save his job next year. Or Maybe a receiver.

Washington won’t draft him because the QB they drafted last year began to show promise last year, and if Haskins doesn’t play well next year, then they will be able to take Another QB next year, one who isn’t injured like potentially Trevor Lawrence, or Fields.

Unless a team wants to trade up ahead of us to take a shot on an injured QB our first chance to draft him in very high probability will be with pick 5. Question is whether the risk is worth it or not depending upon how Flores/Grier/etc. feel about someone like Jordan Love or any of the other prospects that aren’t injured that may impress at the combine, at their pro days, etc.

Yep. That's what my post said. Just take whatever QB falls to us. Doesn't matter who.

It's all about finding the right one.

I'm all for drafting Tua. I am not all for trading everything for him. Dude is a huge medical risk. If his medical risk drops him to 5, pull the trigger. If someone else wants to pay a fortune for that gamble, let them.

So, you are the GM... you are on the clock and Tua is there. The phone rings and the Raiders offer you two or three picks for your spot.

What do you do?

Nyg not in play for a qb? Yeah I agree. But not in play for a trade out? No

I think all of those teams in front of us minus cinci are prime trade out candidates.

It is scary having the chargers so close behind us right now. When someone said they were pick 6 I about gagged.

Iirc Dave Gettleman has never traded down. It obviously could happen and probably will happen one day, but I think it's worth noting.

First I’ve seen of this

That doesn't sound good. Hopefully the Phins consult every expert they can. Many here keep saying, "Take a chance at greatness." And while that sounds good I would say it depends on what that chance is. And how long it would last.

you listen to tua talk in that presser that sure doesn’t sound like someone who doesn’t plan to be ready this year or conceding anything.

I tbink this has to be shelved thing for 2020 is very premature.

better not sit at 5 miami.
In that presser he sounded like someone being forced into the NFL while wanting to return to college. Not just me saying that, either.

I can't believe so many of you are so invested in Tua that you are willing to completely ignore the injury and actually are on board with trading away the whole draft to get him. Where has common sense gone?

A couple of facts about the NFL draft worth considering:

1. Injured players DECREASE in value, not the other way around. This is true of all but the most minor injuries. Tua has a MAJOR injury. His stock is falling, not climbing...why? Because of fact #2
2. College success is no guarantee of NFL success. This is true regardless of how "elite" that player was.

Combine major injury with lack of guaranteed success under the best of circumstances and you get a high probability of failure. Only fools pay extra for those odds, and only the most desperate of those fools give up everything for them. Again, if the FO really wants Tua, pick at 5, no higher. Stop pretending that giving up the rest of the pics is meaningless, since throwing away your draft for a single player only results in perpetual mediocrity, supposedly what fans are trying to avoid. Ask Ditka how the Ricky Williams draft treated him.

Is there a price that's too much to pay for Tua?

If the #2 position teams ask for all THREE 1st round picks AND Both 2nd round picks. Is that too much?

Yep. That's what my post said. Just take whatever QB falls to us. Doesn't matter who.

It's all about finding the right one.

I'm all for drafting Tua. I am not all for trading everything for him. Dude is a huge medical risk. If his medical risk drops him to 5, pull the trigger. If someone else wants to pay a fortune for that gamble, let them.
Why is he a huge medical risk? He is a 23 year old with a hip dislocation, I believe Pouncey overcame that injury at 27 playing a position that requires way more stress then QB to play in my book. I am not expecting to see him next season no matter what teams takes him but i think as long as you don't rush him back too soon he should have no problems and frankly i'm not concerned about his ability to recover at all.

In my book his injury shouldn't even be a factor in taking him it should be if you think he has the tools to be a great QB and i think he has more talent then any QB I have watched play in a really long time Trevor Lawrence included.

If Tua was in the same draft as Trevor Lawerence i'd still pick Tua over him no question. I'd take Justin Fields over Lawrence as well.

I will go as far to say if we miss out on Tua we will look at it down the line like how we look at not signing drew Brees.. Would be one our biggest mistakes ever.

Why is he a huge medical risk? He is a 23 year old with a hip dislocation, I believe Pouncey overcame that injury at 27 playing a position that requires way more stress then QB to play in my book. I am not expecting to see him next season no matter what teams takes him but i think as long as you don't rush him back too soon he should have no problems and frankly i'm not concerned about his ability to recover at all.

In my book his injury shouldn't even be a factor in taking him it should be if you think he has the tools to be a great QB and i think he has more talent then any QB I have watched play in a really long time Trevor Lawrence included.

If Tua was in the same draft as Trevor Lawerence i'd still pick Tua over him no question. I'd take Justin Fields over Lawrence as well.

I will go as far to say if we miss out on Tua we will look at it down the line like how we look at not signing drew Brees.. Would be one our biggest mistakes ever.
Hopefully Mike Brown feels the same way that you do and leaves Burrow for us.

In that presser he sounded like someone being forced into the NFL while wanting to return to college. Not just me saying that, either.

I can't believe so many of you are so invested in Tua that you are willing to completely ignore the injury and actually are on board with trading away the whole draft to get him. Where has common sense gone?

A couple of facts about the NFL draft worth considering:

1. Injured players DECREASE in value, not the other way around. This is true of all but the most minor injuries. Tua has a MAJOR injury. His stock is falling, not climbing...why? Because of fact #2
2. College success is no guarantee of NFL success. This is true regardless of how "elite" that player was.

Combine major injury with lack of guaranteed success under the best of circumstances and you get a high probability of failure. Only fools pay extra for those odds, and only the most desperate of those fools give up everything for them. Again, if the FO really wants Tua, pick at 5, no higher. Stop pretending that giving up the rest of the pics is meaningless, since throwing away your draft for a single player only results in perpetual mediocrity, supposedly what fans are trying to avoid. Ask Ditka how the Ricky Williams draft treated him.

You try to equate a rb to a qbs value? Seriously? That reference is awful.

and I didn’t sniff he’s being forced to do anything in that presser. As for the medical I don’t have access but if it’s a green light and he’s expected to see thru his second contract without issue I’m in.

I seriously doubt he’d be coming out if the medical outlook was bad. Seems to me that would seriously effect his guaranteed money. But then again if it’s something he’s destined to deal with down the road I guess you do try if you are tua to maximize your earnings playing as long as possible as soon as possible. The guys with the medical degrees Ross employs for just that purpose got to figure that out.

more likely I think this kids faith is such that it wouldnt matter what the doctors told him he’d think he could defy it. But that’s just my read on the kid himself character wise etc.

That doesn't sound good. Hopefully the Phins consult every expert they can. Many here keep saying, "Take a chance at greatness." And while that sounds good I would say it depends on what that chance is. And how long it would last.
This is a best case scenario, too, as it assumes the blood flow is good and he heals without setbacks. My understanding is that they are still performing checkups on him to verify this very thing. Truth is, even if he recovers fully, the odds are still against him lasting through two contracts. Hard to agree with trading up for that.

shelf life definitely plays into it. Just keep in mind Drew Brees couldon’t tbrow a tennis ball even and there were questions about if he could ever play again too if I recall correctly when the saints signed him.

This is a best case scenario, too, as it assumes the blood flow is good and he heals without setbacks. My understanding is that they are still performing checkups on him to verify this very thing. Truth is, even if he recovers fully, the odds are still against him lasting through two contracts. Hard to agree with trading up for that.

Where does this not lasting thru 2 contracts come from? What source?

Ill spend a top 5 pick for 8-10 years of amazing QB play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom