What Players from this Draft End up Being Elite? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

What Players from this Draft End up Being Elite?

While we are talking Wideouts, J-off et al, what's your evaluation of Chase Claypool ? I have to admit I was blown away by him in the bowl game but watched nothing of ND outside the Georgia game, so I have very limited knowledge of the kid.

Nebraska, obviously, wasnt very good, so they looked his way during crunch time and he performed well.
I've been including him all of my mocks in the 6th or 7th round. I think he'll be there.

Looks like a pure slot to me... which will limit his draft stock.

When you say "best chance"...I'm interpreting that one of the aspects of your question entails the element of risk. To me, "best chance" means you want to know the ones that you can be most CERTAIN about. There are players I like quite a bit that won't be on this list because they're a bit more of a high stakes dice roll.

Tua Tagovailoa
Jeffrey Okudah
Creed Humphrey
Chase Young
Javon Kinlaw
Derrick Brown
Laviska Shenault
Antoine Winfield, Jr.
Zack Baun
Isaiah Simmons

Trust me there are other players I love, ones that could be elite. These are just the ones that I feel like I can be the most certain about, one way or another.

Honestly I think I might have to amend this list to include Mekhi Becton.

Would you recommend that he slims down a bit? He's 370, although moves well at that size, I just wonder if he would move better at 340.

Tyler johnson reminds me of the slot version of Keyshawn Johnson. Very one speed

I think Mekhi Becton could be a good people mover kicked inside. Just let it be documented that I have real concerns about his movement skills and ability to handle speed rushers on the edge at tackle.

Becton appears to be the hot name moving up mock draft boards right now. I'm seeing Wills too moving up in people's evaluation, seems like Thomas isn't getting the love he once did as the undisputed top OT prospect. Is there any news on Wirfs, declaration ? I had heard he was more likely to return than declare, but I could be wrong or missed something.

I honestly see very little chance that Mekhi Becton kicks inside. He might get kicked over to the right side if they have questions about his ability to handle speed rushers. But I think he's fine. Body of work on him is very good.

Tristan Wirfs hasn't said anything yet. No word.

Wirfs should come out. So should Espenosa imo. I don’t see the latter running faster next year. And I think top 20 is in play there.

I said earlier that anyone chasing Trent brown guy in Oakland at tackle at that size is gonna miss a lot more than they hit. He’s a run away exception. Browns feet are exceptional for his size

I’m kinda scared to pick anyone in this class outside of tua and say they will be elite.

which is weak sauce on my part lol

I honestly see very little chance that Mekhi Becton kicks inside. He might get kicked over to the right side if they have questions about his ability to handle speed rushers. But I think he's fine. Body of work on him is very good.

Tristan Wirfs hasn't said anything yet. No word.

You may be right about him not being kicked inside - it's not really the feet I question with Becton, but more the ability to redirect. I don't see a lot of vertical pass sets from him, more just blocking down or kicking out. Looks to me like Louisville prefers to move an H-back to his side when he's lined up to the boundary and force the edge defender to line up in more of a 6 or 9. I think speed rushers can take him deep into his set, get him to open up and beat him back inside since he struggle to redirect. But you can certainly scheme around him at tackle.

I'm definitely interested to see him out of his comfort zone in an All-Star setting.

Mekhi Becton is not Trent Brown. He's significantly more athletic than Brown.

Brown will very often root down his feet and then rely on his hand strength, upper body strength, length, and overall heft to just keep his blocking assignment from moving anywhere. His feet go dead. The activity levels of Mekhi Becton and Trenton Brown just aren't all that comparable, even if the size is similar.

Mekhi Becton will be a far better run blocker.

Will Mekhi Becton be as good a pass protector as Trent Brown? Remains to be seen. They're different players. While Becton's feet are faster, despite similar size I would say that Brown has more freakish upper body strength. Which one will be more useful in pass pro? It could go either way.

You want to measure the feet a little bit? Here's a trick.

Watch this play and, in your head, imagine a drum beat every time Trent Brown slides and plants his right foot.

Trenton Brown pass protection snap

Now do the same exercise with Mekhi Becton's left foot.

Mekhi Becton pass protection snap vs. Carlos Basham

Mekhi Becton is Metallica. Trent Brown is Steve Miller Band.

Last edited:
You may be right about him not being kicked inside - it's not really the feet I question with Becton, but more the ability to redirect. I don't see a lot of vertical pass sets from him, more just blocking down or kicking out. Looks to me like Louisville prefers to move an H-back to his side when he's lined up to the boundary and force the edge defender to line up in more of a 6 or 9. I think speed rushers can take him deep into his set, get him to open up and beat him back inside since he struggle to redirect. But you can certainly scheme around him at tackle.

I'm definitely interested to see him out of his comfort zone in an All-Star setting.

That's fair and accurate. Guess we'll just see.

The thing that makes me worry that way is he pulls his knees up pretty high.

Back
Top Bottom