Why the Miami Dolphins will be under .500 | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Why the Miami Dolphins will be under .500

Oc5er said:
[Mod Note: This post is fine, but the thread is closed while I sort through it and start doling out lots of time off, maybe even a ban or two. See you all later in the thread.

P4E

Mod Update: Okay... a couple more suspensions and warnings are done. I'm going to re-open this thread. But here's the thing: It's going to stay on topic. It's not a thread about each other... or the Bills... or message boards...

This is a thread about whether or why the Dolphins will be under .500, PERIOD.

ANYONE WHO POSTS ANYTHING OFF TOPIC, PERSONAL AND DEROGATORY, OR SPECIFIC TO ANY TEAM OTHER THAN THE DOLPHINS IS GOING ON VACATION. GOT THAT?

NOW... POST AT YOUR OWN RISK.]

Before I start. If you dont have anything intelligent to post, do us all a favor and DONT RESPOND. This isnt a post to "anger" Dolphins fans, its a post made to counteract all the homerism on this website. Its also my opinion, if you dont agree with it, thats fine. But explain why, dont just say stupid things like "OMG GO AWAY" and "YOURE A BARFALLO BILLS FAN." Thank you.

Quarterbacks: Your Quarterbacks are AJ Feeley and Gus Frerotte. Feeley started 8 games last year behind a poor offensive line and threw for 11 TD's and 15 INT's. Not HORRIBLE, but far from good. Frerotte, a 12 year vet with his 6th different team has never proven to be that great. He had one good year in Minnesota in which he started 2 games and posted 7 TD's and 2 Int's. Other than that, hes been mediocre at best. If your O-line is improved, your quarterback play will be much improved but still, there isnt a LOT of talent here. I give your QB's a C.

Running Backs: Lets ASSUME that Ricky Williams never puts on a Miami Dolphins uniform again. Ronnie Brown was a pretty good college running back had good stats, hes a big guy, strong, he'll be able to take a lot of carries and still run strong. But, he IS a rookie and no one knows how he will perform. And, behind him, who do you have? Virtually no one. Assuming Ricky DOES come back, he hasnt played football in over a year, and hes down like 45 pounds from what he was when he was in football shape. PLUS, who knows WHATS going on in his head. He might come back for one game and decide he doesnt want to play anymore. Hes a headcase who cant be counted on. So, unless Ronnie Brown busts out for like 1,500 yards in his rookie year which is highly unlikely. For THIS season, your running back situation could be a problem. I give them a C+.

Receivers: Miami has got some pretty good receivers. But, underacheivers if you ask me. Chambers has the ability to be the best receiver in the AFC East but he hasn't used it. Only 69 catches and 7 touchdowns last year. Thats just not cutting it. Bringing in Marty Booker was a great pick up, he'll help the Dolphins a lot. And assuming that David Boston can stay healthy. Id say hes good for at least 45 or so catches and a few touchdowns. He is coming off major surgery though and hasnt played in over a year so who knows how he'll perform. Derrius Thompson, we wont even get into him. But, of course, your receivers can only perform well when your quarterback can get them the ball. But, assuming you have fairly good QB play, your receivers should do well. I give them a B.

O-Line: Aside from Stockar McDougle, who has Miami picked up? They didnt even draft an offensive lineman until the 5th round. And hes not starting. Its pretty much the same O-line from last year. And if they preform like they did last year, Miami's offense is in for a loooooong season. Nothing really more to say about these guys. They just need to step their game up. I give them a C-.

D-Line: Your strong point. You lost Ogunleye who was a force which did hurt. But, the Dolphins signed Vonnie Holliday and Kevin Carter, both pretty good pickups. And they still have Jason Taylor. This unit has been pretty solid year in and year out and I think theyll have a good year this year. Taylor should have double digit sacks with ease. With the new additions I give them a B+.

Linebackers: Zach Thomas leads this group. Although hes getting up there in age, hes still preformed quite well every year. Junior Seau is pretty much at the end of his career and doesnt really look like the player he used to be at all. I dont really expect much out of him. Other than those guys the Dolphins are lacking. They drafted Channing Crowder who could be a great player for them, but they really need him to step up immediately. Ill say the Dolphins linebackers will struggle a little early but I expect Crowder to step in nicely with the veteran wisdom of Seau and Thomas to help him. I give them a B-.

Defensive Backs: The Dolphins traded Patrick Surtain :shakeno: which leaves Sam Madison as the leader of the secondary basically. Madison has been in the league for 9 years and isnt getting any younger. Hes clearly not the same player he used to be either. Reggie Howard could be a good player for Miami as hes had a pretty good career thus far. And Will Poole had a pretty decent rookie year, hopefully he can keep it up. The Dolphins got Tebucky Jones who im my opinion is very overrated. New England knew what they were doing when they got rid of him and they only benefited from it. And now Jones is on his 3rd team. Neither of the 1st two teams really had any reluctance in getting rid of him. (And you know its tough for me to say this too because im from Syracuse) Your free safety is Travares Tillman, a former Bills cast off. This guys really got nothing to bring to the table. He was nothing more than a backup in Buffalo and I really dont think hes going to do anything for Miami this year. I give the DB's a C.

Special Teams: Mare is solid as usual. And should be again this year. And Wes Welker turned out to be a great special teams guy for the Dolphins. The Dolphins special teams were pretty solid last year and should be even better this year. I give them an A-.

I expect Miami to win more games than they did last year, no doubt about it. And they MAY even finish at 8-8. But, if you ask me, im going to predict a 7-9 record for Miami. These are my opinions. If you want to know how I feel about the my Bills, Ill tell you that as well. Im not a homer as most people are. If you dont agree with these, tell me why. All I ask is that you post something intelligent, please.
Ummm....let's see where is one of the most important elements? COACHING?? I predict we at least split the series with your Bills this year....

While a few of te observations are somewhat accurate, the grading system is FAR from unbiased. Useing your same grading system I wonder how the Jills would grade out. I sure through the "Rust and Faded Blue" (leave it to the jills to :barf: "improve" on red white and blue) glasses you see nothing but A's but I can tell you that you are way off.

Oc5er said:
Your coaching staff has improved no doubt.

But, just because Saban succeeded on the collegiate level doesnt mean hes going to succeed at the NFL level. Prime Example: Steve Spurrier.
Also factor in the surrounding cast, which is one of the better ones in the league....delve below the surface

oc5er 7 of the teams where under 500 that you scored all those pts i think your in for a big surprise this year you better hope that losman is more like kelly and not johnson

Oc5er said:

Quarterbacks: Your Quarterbacks are AJ Feeley and Gus Frerotte. Feeley started 8 games last year behind a poor offensive line and threw for 11 TD's and 15 INT's. Not HORRIBLE, but far from good. Frerotte, a 12 year vet with his 6th different team has never proven to be that great. He had one good year in Minnesota in which he started 2 games and posted 7 TD's and 2 Int's. Other than that, hes been mediocre at best. If your O-line is improved, your quarterback play will be much improved but still, there isnt a LOT of talent here. I give your QB's a C.

I think we'll be fine with those two. Thanks for the opinion....

Running Backs: Lets ASSUME that Ricky Williams never puts on a Miami Dolphins uniform again. Ronnie Brown was a pretty good college running back had good stats, hes a big guy, strong, he'll be able to take a lot of carries and still run strong. But, he IS a rookie and no one knows how he will perform. And, behind him, who do you have? Virtually no one. Assuming Ricky DOES come back, he hasnt played football in over a year, and hes down like 45 pounds from what he was when he was in football shape. PLUS, who knows WHATS going on in his head. He might come back for one game and decide he doesnt want to play anymore. Hes a headcase who cant be counted on. So, unless Ronnie Brown busts out for like 1,500 yards in his rookie year which is highly unlikely. For THIS season, your running back situation could be a problem. I give them a C+.

Bad, bad, bad. Virtually no one???...

RB S. Morris alone had more yards and TD's last season, than your back-up RB corps does for their entire careers!!! Not including T. Henry ofcourse....

Not to mention we've also got L. Gordon / T. Minor / and KJ Harris. I'd say we're not only strong at RB, but throw in the likelyhood of Ricky coming back, and we're totally stacked!!!

The Bills have nobody behind McGahee. NOBODY. S. Williams?? J. Burns???.....BWAHAHAHA!!!!!!

O-Line: Aside from Stockar McDougle, who has Miami picked up? They didnt even draft an offensive lineman until the 5th round. And hes not starting. Its pretty much the same O-line from last year. And if they preform like they did last year, Miami's offense is in for a loooooong season. Nothing really more to say about these guys. They just need to step their game up. I give them a C-.

I think the key here will be new OL coach H. Houck, someone you completely left out of the mix. He's one of the best in the NFL. These guys made small strides late in the 2004 season, and under better teaching, there is good potential. V. Carey wasn't a factor in 2004, but he should emerge this year and hopefully start somewhere...

OT W. Smith also missed most of the season after he fell down the depth chart. He's going to get some much needed confidence under Houck as well. So, when you look at the group, there's talent, it just needs the teaching and confidence to take it further. A strong running game will also do wonders for this OL in 2005....

We've got alot to work with on the OL right now. There is work to do, but I think we'll be much improved over last year...

Defensive Backs: The Dolphins traded Patrick Surtain :shakeno: which leaves Sam Madison as the leader of the secondary basically. Madison has been in the league for 9 years and isnt getting any younger. Hes clearly not the same player he used to be either. Reggie Howard could be a good player for Miami as hes had a pretty good career thus far. And Will Poole had a pretty decent rookie year, hopefully he can keep it up. The Dolphins got Tebucky Jones who im my opinion is very overrated. New England knew what they were doing when they got rid of him and they only benefited from it. And now Jones is on his 3rd team. Neither of the 1st two teams really had any reluctance in getting rid of him. (And you know its tough for me to say this too because im from Syracuse) Your free safety is Travares Tillman, a former Bills cast off. This guys really got nothing to bring to the table. He was nothing more than a backup in Buffalo and I really dont think hes going to do anything for Miami this year. I give the DB's a C.

Don't worry about our secondary. Saban is a defensive mastermind, and he'll have a decent core inplace. Rookie DB T. Daniels is looking very good. He could actually start this year. The S positions should be decent. Like I said, Saban will have a scheme for every situation. Expect a much more aggressive approach from the Phinz defense from here on out. That's what we're moving towards from what I've seen thus far at TC....

I expect Miami to win more games than they did last year, no doubt about it. And they MAY even finish at 8-8. But, if you ask me, im going to predict a 7-9 record for Miami. These are my opinions.

Finishing 8-8 in Sabans first year would be just fine with me. That would be a great place to start, and a sure sign of significant improvement. 7-9 is not acceptable however. We don't embrace losing seasons like the Buffalo Bills do....

PHINZ RULE!!!

I agree with a lot of what you said I only see two things wrong (of course in my opinion). First off our o-line. As a die hard Dolphins fan I watched last year possibly the worst offensive line in history start to play dramatically better at the end of last season. Now factor in one huge upgrade at RT and a huge upgrade at OL coach and you have a big improvement IMO. Not to mention that Houck has implemented a zone blocking scheme which will certainly help this young O-line. I personally expect to see a much improved o-line.

Secondly, I disagree with your assesment of our running backs. Lets take away RW. Still I see a squad with great potential. Behind RBrown you have L. Gordon and Minor which have already proved are at the least solid back ups and good change of pace backs. We also have Kjay who has a lot of potential. All feelings put aside with RW if he comes back he will be a solid contributor to our team. His talent is well above most of the NFL's backs. Everyone keeps saying he is 45 pounds light. Well that was a month ago, how light is he now? How light will he be when he reports to training camp? How light will he be after serving a four game suspension? My point is he has plenty of time to put the weight on. Now I agree with one thing who the heck knows what state of mind he will report to training camp with. Overall I would say that Running back is one of our teams strong points.

Putting all homerism aside I think the dophins will finish third in the division with a 9-7 record.

First off, the Fins were in every game, within a score of winning in the 4th quarter of all but the Jets game last year, and that was w/ a horrible coach,OC,OL coach and a D that was on the field for as much as 40= minutes of some games!

Our Coach is much improved(wanny never did a sigle thing to warrant being even thought of as a good coach,ANYWHERE!)

OL coach is among the best in the league!!!
OC has ran one of the most prolific offenses we have seen in many years. Thus is why the underachiever Chambers will flurish. CC was in an offense that TO, Moss, and not even Jerry Rice in his prime could put up a 80+ rec 1000yd year. Boston IF healthy will light up the NFL!

Unless anyone here is a personell guy and knows more than Linehan about Gus, then remember your opinion is a fans' opinion! Gus ran Minny's offense better than DC everytime he was called to do so. Name another backup that has steped it up and played better not 1 not 2 but every time he replaced the starter! Moss loved and is still giving Gus a vote of confidence. That tells you something there. No Qb is great w/ a horrible team. That is precicely what Gus has had most of his career.

At the Rb position there are questions, yes. Now remember that the rb pos. is the easiest pos. in the NFL to step in and be a major contributor immediately. If you ? Ronnie, than maybe there is a reason you are a fan and not a personell guy(not targeting a single person, just any fan that ?'s a personell move by a staff) Every team had Ronnie as the #1 RB. W/ Ricky in house,WOW! He always lost weight in the offseason and put it back on. He has a philosophy about doing it. He has 4 months to get back to 225lbs. No problem.

OL, all I will say is every player this coach works w/ gets better 10 fold. Look at history.(SD)
I will finish this later I have got to run!
I understand how anybody may ? this next year, but remember who was here and who is now here. Look at the attitude of O players and D players. ATTITUDE says it all!

I say all of you need to relax! Oc5er you don't neet to call names back! Just remember Fins will prove to be better than.500 and 2 wins will be against the red white and BLUE (that being the color of brusies) after Ricky and Ronnie run them over and over and over. Bet you, you off the site for a month! I will stay off the opposing team mentioned site for a month!

interesting post but i have to disagree on your running back prediction, we have tons of talent even without rickey, unfortunately will pool is out for the season so ill ignore you even mentioned him. unfortunately i kinda agree with your record prediction and one of those wins will be against the bills!!

WOW... I am only two pages into this thread and I am already tired of it.

To the orig poster... yes a lot of your 'grades' are a bit biased towards the bills. I don't necessarily think that the grades should all be A's like a lot of the posters here... But a few are way off...

RB is probably the second easiest position for a rookie to play in this league. The only hard part is learning to pick up the blitz. WHICH all the scouts have said Ronnie already knows how to do. THUS, he will be fine. A C+ is just a joke for the grade there. If you apply the same logic for your beloved McGahee... he has never played a FULL NFL season either. Does that mean you don't know how he'll play for the WHOLE year? Come on now...

ST... A- for Mare? He has been horrible the last two years. I personally think it has a lot to do with the ST coach that Wanny brought here... so I'll wait to judge him this year.

Shoot two years ago your oline was HORRIBLE. You hired a real good Oline coach and made your line respectable. I guess that is IMPOSSIBLE for the Phins to do the same?

Seriously, I can keep going, but I am not going to waste my time.

At worst I think we will be at .500.
I expect us to do better even if we are in a tough division.My guess is 9-7

Oc5er said:
[Mod Note: This post is fine, but the thread is closed while I sort through it and start doling out lots of time off, maybe even a ban or two. See you all later in the thread.

P4E

Mod Update: Okay... a couple more suspensions and warnings are done. I'm going to re-open this thread. But here's the thing: It's going to stay on topic. It's not a thread about each other... or the Bills... or message boards...

This is a thread about whether or why the Dolphins will be under .500, PERIOD.

ANYONE WHO POSTS ANYTHING OFF TOPIC, PERSONAL AND DEROGATORY, OR SPECIFIC TO ANY TEAM OTHER THAN THE DOLPHINS IS GOING ON VACATION. GOT THAT?

NOW... POST AT YOUR OWN RISK.]

Before I start. If you dont have anything intelligent to post, do us all a favor and DONT RESPOND. This isnt a post to "anger" Dolphins fans, its a post made to counteract all the homerism on this website. Its also my opinion, if you dont agree with it, thats fine. But explain why, dont just say stupid things like "OMG GO AWAY" and "YOURE A BARFALLO BILLS FAN." Thank you.

Receivers: Miami has got some pretty good receivers. But, underacheivers if you ask me. Chambers has the ability to be the best receiver in the AFC East but he hasn't used it. Only 69 catches and 7 touchdowns last year. Thats just not cutting it. Bringing in Marty Booker was a great pick up, he'll help the Dolphins a lot. And assuming that David Boston can stay healthy. Id say hes good for at least 45 or so catches and a few touchdowns. He is coming off major surgery though and hasnt played in over a year so who knows how he'll perform. Derrius Thompson, we wont even get into him. But, of course, your receivers can only perform well when your quarterback can get them the ball. But, assuming you have fairly good QB play, your receivers should do well. I give them a B.

D-Line: Your strong point. You lost Ogunleye who was a force which did hurt. But, the Dolphins signed Vonnie Holliday and Kevin Carter, both pretty good pickups. And they still have Jason Taylor. This unit has been pretty solid year in and year out and I think theyll have a good year this year. Taylor should have double digit sacks with ease. With the new additions I give them a B+.

Linebackers: Zach Thomas leads this group. Although hes getting up there in age, hes still preformed quite well every year. Junior Seau is pretty much at the end of his career and doesnt really look like the player he used to be at all. I dont really expect much out of him. Other than those guys the Dolphins are lacking. They drafted Channing Crowder who could be a great player for them, but they really need him to step up immediately. Ill say the Dolphins linebackers will struggle a little early but I expect Crowder to step in nicely with the veteran wisdom of Seau and Thomas to help him. I give them a B-.

Special Teams: Mare is solid as usual. And should be again this year. And Wes Welker turned out to be a great special teams guy for the Dolphins. The Dolphins special teams were pretty solid last year and should be even better this year. I give them an A-.

I expect Miami to win more games than they did last year, no doubt about it. And they MAY even finish at 8-8. But, if you ask me, im going to predict a 7-9 record for Miami. These are my opinions. If you want to know how I feel about the my Bills, Ill tell you that as well. Im not a homer as most people are. If you dont agree with these, tell me why. All I ask is that you post something intelligent, please.

Your signature tells me all I need to know. If you're a Bills fan, I don't see any reason for you to be here. No one cares about your opinion, and most of it is BS. Tell me, how can a team be under .500 when the lowest grade you give them is a C-? I don't know about you, but to me, it doesn't look right.

If this offseason has done anything for your team, its only made it worse. Your team is very inexperienced and should fill up the last place slot. The Dolphins will be back, whether you want to admit it or not.

Go somewhere else.

Mod Note: No one here gets to tell any other member in good standing that they cannot express their opinion here. We are governed by rules and procedures. If you have a problem with a post, notify a mod.

This guy's opinion on the runningbacks is hilarious and pathetic. Proof of your lack of intelligence.

Mod Note: Okay, -- this post is personal and derogatory. You have 24 hours to brush up on the house rules.

Your analysis is flawed on several fronts. First of all rookie RB's, out of all positions are the ones most able to make an immediate impact. To say there is no one behind him is ridiculous. Gordon and Kay Jay Harris are solid (and physical) RB's.
The offensive line has more young talent than any team in the division. It typically takes 2-3 years for O-linemen to develop. Hadnot and Carey will be above average.
Lastly, given the new coaching philosophy on the defensive side of the ball, I believe the defense will be less predictable and as a result will come up with more big plays.

It's clear that much of your analysis is based on wishful thinking as a Bills fan. I'm sure we could dissect the Buffalo Bills and come up with an equally negative slant on them, but I really have no interest in them.

Back
Top Bottom