Would You Trade Our First Round Pick For Josh Rosen? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Would You Trade Our First Round Pick For Josh Rosen?

Trade for Rosen?

• Yes

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • No

Votes: 165 90.7%

• Total voters
Reports are that Cardinals May trade Rosen and draft Kyler Murray first overall.

Many people wanted us to potentially move up just last year to draft Rosen, so picking him at 13 with a full year of NFL experience under his belt should actually be viewed positively, but I suspect most wouldn’t view it that way.

But depending on how Grier graded Rosen last year, it might be an interesting tactic. Get one of last year’s top QB prospects at a lower draft position than last year and test him out for the year, and if he sucks real bad be in position to draft a new franchise QB, and if he pans out, don’t need to worry about a QB next year.

Thoughts?
I'm glad to see this post @SkapePhin and one of the reasons is that when I mentioned this possibility, I was assailed with people who simply believed I was making it up, and when I proved Kliff Kingsburry said (right before his team played Kyler Murray and Oklahoma, so take that as you will) that if he had the #1 overall pick he would take Kyler Murray. Well, now he is the Cardinal's coach and has the #1 overall pick … the story writes itself, regardless of whether it comes to pass or not.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Josh Rosen, I predicted he had the highest bust potential in that draft, and I'd stay away from him. If I were Kingsbury I would try to trade Rosen, trade down out of #1 overall but still stay high enough to get Murray, and let him build an offense around Murray. Kingsbury is a pure-offense guy, and he would really bring the most out of Murray. I'm still not sold on Murray playing football, but if Kingsbury is, then Kyler Murray is a far better prospect than Josh Rosen in my eyes.

If Rosen is traded amd Murray is drafted, how is Kingsbury and Murray having the same agent not a conflict of interest?

I wanted us to move up to take him in last year's draft but the 13th pick is way too much to give up for him now. Part of the appeal of drafting a QB in the first is the rookie deal, you've lost a year of that and he hasn't shown anywhere near enough to warrant giving up that one year of a cheap contract. If he had shown what Mayfield or Allen had in year one, I would do it but he was comfortably in 5th place if you rank those first round QBs.

A second round pick would interesting though, or a trade back to the late first. The Cards are in an awkward position now because of their choice for HC and his previous comments. If they do draft Murray, they have to move Rosen and everyone in the league will know that, having struggled in year one and with his injury history, it might not be easy to move him for great compensation. They also moved up to take him, so the FO there obviously likes him and I doubt are willing to give up on him after one year in a very poor team.

Still think Kyler could go #1 overall but I doubt it's the Cards that take him there, I see a trade up, love it to be us but highly doubt we have the balls to do it.

Last edited:
From ESPN:

TEMPE, Ariz. -- New Arizona Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury may have said he liked Kyler Murray in October, but Tuesday he said he's sticking with Josh Rosen.

"Our feelings toward Josh haven't waned or changed or anything," Kingsbury said. "I get we have the first pick (in the upcoming NFL draft) and so there's going to be a million scenarios over the next three months that are going to come up, but no, Josh is our guy."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...s-kyler-murray-praise-says-josh-rosen-our-guy

My gut reaction was no based on his play as a rookie. That said, I really liked Rosen coming out and I know he wasn't in the best situation with the Cardinals. I think I'd look to the draft and stick with the plan of finding a qb to develop.

After re-reading this again, I changed my vote from "yes" to "no"

While I would not trade a 1st rounder, I'd gladly trade our 2nd round pick.

If Rosen is traded amd Murray is drafted, how is Kingsbury and Murray having the same agent not a conflict of interest?

The same agent represents coaches/front office folk and players all the time. It’s not a new thing. Mike Tennenbaum and Suh shared the same agent when they were negotiating his contract a few years ago.

Same answer as the last two threads asking this identical question.

Hell no.

It's all relative.

If you can get him on the cheap...

I'm good with it if the plan is not to make him our future. He can hold the reign for a season or two until this regime drafts it's own QB.

I think it would be amazing to have young talent during this transition rather than some vet. Rosen can grow. A vet- not so much.

Say you could grab him for a 3rd. I'd pull the trigger with my eyes still on the prize for 2020/2021.

But I hope a trade is not in play with any team so Murray can wear the Dolphins jersey he's always been destined to wear.

I understand the get him “on the cheap” argument, but how likely is that? IIRC, didn’t Arizona trade up to get him? If Arizona cuts ties now, it means they believe Rosen is a bust, and they will be banking on unseen potential to wrangle as high compensation as possible for him. I don’t think cheap will be an option. Why not keep him on the roster and develop him further? Then they can trade him to a team with a QB injury who will be forced to overpay.

I like the idea of having talent behind your starters, but if they cannot run the same offense in a similar fashion, it just doesn’t make sense. If Murray is your target, how similar is Rosen’s game to Murray’s? If the answer is not much, what is the point of having Rosen as a backup to Murray?

Again, I just don’t see a good argument for trading to Arizona for him.

I understand the get him “on the cheap” argument, but how likely is that? IIRC, didn’t Arizona trade up to get him? If Arizona cuts ties now, it means they believe Rosen is a bust, and they will be banking on unseen potential to wrangle as high compensation as possible for him. I don’t think cheap will be an option. Why not keep him on the roster and develop him further? Then they can trade him to a team with a QB injury who will be forced to overpay.

I like the idea of having talent behind your starters, but if they cannot run the same offense in a similar fashion, it just doesn’t make sense. If Murray is your target, how similar is Rosen’s game to Murray’s? If the answer is not much, what is the point of having Rosen as a backup to Murray?

Again, I just don’t see a good argument for trading to Arizona for him.

Not at all likely to get him cheap.

But- and only but- if you can, why not?

We don't have a qb. He was a top pick so there has to be something there. (Goff was bad his first year too). He's young so the ceiling is still high.

And we are rebuildin anyway. The kid doesn't perform and we are Ross' 3-13 picking high next year.

I'd rather give a young kid still holding on to possible talent, that may still improve the reigns over a vet that is merely a babysitter because he's reached his ceiling.

The hypothetical is that Murray has already been drafted so the last part doesn't apply.

If they're asking a 3 this year and a 5 next year (which is ridiculous not gonna happen), i do it.

You'd rather watch Brock Os? He could still be there backing up if or when it goes wrong with Rosen.

Again- and I'm not sure what the contract situation is and if it'll hurt- what's the down side? We lose? We're in a rebuild anyway. The high draft pick in 2020 will be sweet anyway.

And I'm not talking about tanking(threw up in my mouth a bit). I'm talking about playing a young guy that has to have some kind of talent if he was chosen high, that still has a ceiling over a vet that we know what he is.

In conclusion, if I can get Rosen cheap, I play him over a never gonna get better vet.

If he sux, enter vet. If he rocks, we have camp competion next year.

“No, josh is our guy”

I think that’s enough for me

He didn’t say “we are still evaluating” or “we are weighing our options”

He said no, josh is our guy. I’m buying it. You can’t sell the owner and incumbent gm who drafted rosen in the first place on ummm I’m trading your guy.

“No, josh is our guy”

I think that’s enough for me

He didn’t say “we are still evaluating” or “we are weighing our options”

He said no, josh is our guy. I’m buying it. You can’t sell the owner and incumbent gm who drafted rosen in the first place on ummm I’m trading your guy.

If he is genuine in that statement then he just told Miami and other teams that the #1 pick is opened up for negotiation.
Truth be told it's only Murray size that is causing this debate. Had the guy been 6'2 or better he would be the consensus #1 pick.

To move to that #1 spot is easily going to cause you at minimum. Your current #1, and easily the 2020 and 2021 #1 picks. So is Murray worth three #1 picks?

Also note that Arizona is kind of in a win-win situation if they go with Rosen. If he shows significant improvement in his second year great. If he's pretty much as bad as he was last year, they can easily cut bait on him and draft a QB next year, while either drafting a game wrecker in Bosa or having traded down for a huge haul.

While you can't be too obsessed with QBs that fit the physical mold of what a pro QB is supposed to be, you can't shrug off Murray's size (he's significantly shorter than Wilson and Brees apparently) and the fact that he could still go back to baseball if the going gets tough. So it's very tough for a team like Arizona to use the first pick overall on him while they drafted someone who might be better than him the year before.

Back
Top Bottom