Dolphins Have Not Had Major Talks With Four Impending FAs/Reggie Bush likely gone!! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Have Not Had Major Talks With Four Impending FAs/Reggie Bush likely gone!!

Looking into the crystal ball, here's how I think it plays out:

Long - franchised. We have too many holes to fill in the draft to add LT to the list. We'll see how he plays during his franchise season and if he still struggles then we let him walk after that.

Starks - wave bye bye. He's gone. Too expensive and we can kick Odrick inside fulltime where he belongs. We'll be drafting another DE is off season to add more depth to the line.

Hartline - perfect #2 WR for this offense, he gets extended.

Smith - wildcard. If the money's right, resign him as a #2 CB. If he comes in demanding top 10 CB money, put on the Colts game tape and then start negotiating with him. He WILL have a cap friendly contract or he can kick rocks. Let someone else try to coach the softness out of him.

Bush - some what of a wildcard but most likely gone. If Bush will sign a cap friendly contract as a utility type reciever threat running back that he should be then by all means sign him back. Daniel Thomas has one more season after this one to develop any kind of running instinct before he gets cut.

Most likely we'll be looking at the 2014 draft to get a new LT and RB. Thomas won't cut it and Miller isn't an every down back. Perhaps Long returns to his old self next season but I'm not holding my breath. The other big question is exactly how much cap room will we have for 2014 after Ireland screws up the 2013 off season.

Anybody who says Tag Long is F**King crazy. NO WAY should he be paid $14 MIL next season. I do not see one fricking iota of logic behind this.

Getting rid of players, who are not as good as what we would like, is one thing. Replacing them is another. So, who are we replacing all the players we are getting rid of? You knew there would be a catch in getting rid of players? No?

Bush gone? Im stunned. /sarcasm

Starks and Hartline are keepers. Sean Smith, as poorly as he plays sometimes is not exactly the worst corner in the league. He is worth keeping for the right price. He is not exactly a player that would be easily replaceable.

I'm with you on that. Hartline can still excel with a true No.1 on the team. Starks is a good DT and Smith can be a good CB when he wants. I like Reggie Bush a lot but wouldn't be disappointed if he left.

From what I understand, the majority of personnel people in most NFL front offices are spending most if their time on scouting college players. This really is a NON story. KFFL come out with these one line "feeds" like they are newsworthy. I don't expect any real negotiations to happen until after the season. After all what's the rush? We have from the time the season ends until the beginning of free agency to get deals done. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Personally, I'd rather see them play the season out before determining their value.

Or, as others mentioned.. let them walk. We aren't winning with them here anyway.

Anybody who says Tag Long is F**King crazy. NO WAY should he be paid $14 MIL next season. I do not see one fricking iota of logic behind this.

Because we don't have the means to replace him this offseason. We have too many holes to fill this coming off season to add LT to that list. There are worst things in the world than pay Jake Long $14 mil next season. He's better than we could get in free agency and more experienced than a rookie. It makes more sense to tag him than to just let him walk.

From what I understand, the majority of personnel people in most NFL front offices are spending most if their time on scouting college players. This really is a NON story. KFFL come out with these one line "feeds" like they are newsworthy. I don't expect any real negotiations to happen until after the season. After all what's the rush? We have from the time the season ends until the beginning of free agency to get deals done. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Personally, I'd rather see them play the season out before determining their value.

Or, as others mentioned.. let them walk. We aren't winning with them here anyway.
People read this stuff and interpret it however they want. If we're coming off a loss its a bad thing, if we're coming off a win its a bad thing....wait, never mind.

Remember when they twisted the Rosenhaus comment about how he talks to Ireland about all his players every week and somehow that became "the Dolphins are negotiating with Hartline on a new contract"...you can't make this stuff up...actually yeah you can.

Because we don't have the means to replace him this offseason. We have too many holes to fill this coming off season to add LT to that list. There are worst things in the world than pay Jake Long $14 mil next season. He's better than we could get in free agency and more experienced than a rookie. It makes more sense to tag him than to just let him walk.

So we tag him, pay $14 mil for an overrated LT and then what. Where does that get us. Are we then looking to sign him long term? I don't get it. You tag someone you want on your team but have trouble working out a long term deal. Someone who is a playmaker and makes a BIG difference on your team. None of that is Long. I simply do not agree that he is an elite LT anymore. His health is a concern on ever snap. He is being abused this year, has a ton of penalties and has allowed way to many sack and pressures. He is not the Jake Long we drafted. Granted he is still a servicable LT but he is not top 5 by any means. Yes we have other holes in the team but we also have 10 draft picks, free agency and over $50 mil in cap space. I feel like people want to tag him for the sake of tagging him. Is some team going to pay Jake $15 mil a year in a new contract?? No way!

so who fills in for reggie?
thomas who has yet to play a full season and he is the 2nd string Rb imagine if he was the starter,think he would get hurt even more
miller may have been good in the ncaa but this is not the same game and he has yet to prove he can be a #2

When I said during the draft that the Lamar Miller choice was a "for the future" pick, this is what I meant. They drafted him as a potential replacement to Reggie. No, I'm not saying they *should have* or it will *work out*, but that was my first thought when it happened.

Starks and Hartline should be at the top of the list. Smith should come back as long as he doesn't expect top 10 corner money. Fasano should also be resigned. Long and his ridiculous demands can go. Bush is gone. They drafted his replacement already and i'm sure he's going to believe he's worth a lot more than he is.

This +1. The only way you retain Long is if he decides to take less to stay, you don't have to lowball him but he has to be reasonable in order to stay, end of story.

I really can't see the dolphins letting Long go with a resume and history like his. Despite looking worse than he ever has before he still ranks 5th on profootballfocus's pass blocking efficiency measurement and has only allowed 7 QB pressures this year (the same as Joe Thomas and only 2 more than Ryan Clady). What i would hope for Long is that it makes him accept a top 5 LT contract and not demand to be the highest paid LT. The other issue I have with letting long walk is the lack of talent the Phins have already. Letting him walk would force us to waste a pick on a LT when we can't afford to. As for Bush he's a RB and they are easily replaceable and we have 2 solid young backups anyways. Smith depends on the cost to me as we have 5 picks in the top 3 rounds and he is replaceable though it would be preferred not to have to as as he is a serviceable CB.

Wouldn't that speak to an even bigger problem if all these guys were given the boot by the guy who had a hand in bringing them all in?
Letting guys go via testing free agency is not giving them the boot.

Cutting them would be.

As far as Ireland is concerned, he can hit the open market too!

Back
Top Bottom