Finheaven's QB Rankings? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Finheaven's QB Rankings?

Well, I've always liked Tannehill and I do think he's got upside. But I have to admit I don't see the elite "put throws in tight windows" ability (a la Aaron Rodgers, P. Manning, Brady, Brees) yet.

Wait, what? I'm sorry but some of the spots Ryan Tannehill fits the ball into... not many QBs in the NFL make those throws, and fewer are asked to make those throws on a regular basis. Please do me a favor, watch a few Eagles games with Nick Foles at QB... I'm serious. Now go back and watch a few Dolphins games again. Tell me which QB throws the ball into tight windows...

I'm not going to tell you what to think, I'm just going to ask you to go have a look. Be honest.

Wait, what? I'm sorry but some of the spots Ryan Tannehill fits the ball into... not many QBs in the NFL make those throws, and fewer are asked to make those throws on a regular basis. Please do me a favor, watch a few Eagles games with Nick Foles at QB... I'm serious. Now go back and watch a few Dolphins games again. Tell me which QB throws the ball into tight windows...

I'm not going to tell you what to think, I'm just going to ask you to go have a look. Be honest.
Uh, who said anything about Nick Foles? And sorry, but no, I really don't have time to be watching him right now (or posting on this forum, but that's another story...).

Frankly, anyone with a good arm in the NFL can make a throw into a tight window. Jay Cutler can do it. Tony Romo can do it. But it's the elite QB's who do it consistently, throw after throw, drive after drive, in clutch situations, without getting the ball knocked down or picked - that's what I'm talking about. Brady, Manning, Rodgers, etc. - these guys have the combination of arm, timing, accuracy and consistency that makes them able to make all the throws in tight places with confidence.

While Tanny has shown he has a good arm and flashed (at times) some great accuracy, I have not seen a consistent, elite, throw after throw, full 60 minutes passing ability. We all know that if you give Brady, Brees, Rodgers, et al even a little bit of time, they will shred you. Maybe someday we'll say that about Tanny, but right now that's not the case.

Add Russell Wilson to that list. Jesus, guys running free through the secondary because they are forced to honor the run (both Lynch and Wilson).

But it's the elite QB's who do it consistently, throw after throw, drive after drive, in clutch situations, without getting the ball knocked down or picked - that's what I'm talking about.

That player doesn't exist.

Brady, Manning, Rodgers, etc. - these guys have the combination of arm, timing, accuracy and consistency that makes them able to make all the throws in tight places with confidence.

I think you are foggy on why these guys are so good. They beat you with their arms and their brains. But believe me, they would rather throw to wide open guys because of great play calls or great reads, not force it into tight windows all day. None of them are good enough for that.

While Tanny has shown he has a good arm and flashed (at times) some great accuracy, I have not seen a consistent, elite, throw after throw, full 60 minutes passing ability. We all know that if you give Brady, Brees, Rodgers, et al even a little bit of time, they will shred you. Maybe someday we'll say that about Tanny, but right now that's not the case.

Tell that to Brady this year. He hasn't shredded too many teams.

That player doesn't exist.

I think you are foggy on why these guys are so good. They beat you with their arms and their brains. But believe me, they would rather throw to wide open guys because of great play calls or great reads, not force it into tight windows all day. None of them are good enough for that.

Tell that to Brady this year. He hasn't shredded too many teams.
I think you're trying to pick holes in what I said, but I'm not sure what your point is. My point is Tanny is not an "elite" passer (yet) like Brady, Brees, etc. If you disagree with that (i.e. you think he is an elite passer), feel free to elaborate. On the other hand, if you agree, I don't think we have to discuss it further...

i think tannehill can fit any ball or make any throw any qb can in the league...but that's just me i guess...he's not a 40 yard rope flat footed guy but he can fit balls in tight spaces...usually though his timing and his presnap reads but particularly his timing is so good he doesn't have to

Here is how I would rank the top 10 QBs right now:

1) Rodgers
2) Manning
3) Brees
4) Brady
5) Rothlesberger
6) Rivers
7) WIlson
8) Luck
9) Newton/ Stafford
10) Tannehill/ Ryan

To start a team right now and be around for 10 years or so:
1) Rodgers
2) Luck
3) Tannehill
4) Wilson
5) Newton
6) Stafford
7) Foles
8) Bridgewater
9) Mcgloin
10) Cousins
Anyone but Geno or RGme

I think you're trying to pick holes in what I said, but I'm not sure what your point is. My point is Tanny is not an "elite" passer (yet) like Brady, Brees, etc. If you disagree with that (i.e. you think he is an elite passer), feel free to elaborate. On the other hand, if you agree, I don't think we have to discuss it further...

Then why didn't you just say that? Why describe a player that doesn't exist? Didn't Manning throw a pick in crunch time just last night?

I agree Tannehill isn't elite (yet), but just not for the reason you state and demonstrated that to you because one of the QBs (Brady) you used as an example of one that make throw after throw for 60 minutes, isn't doing that this season. If you disagree, feel free to elaborate.

Uh, who said anything about Nick Foles? And sorry, but no, I really don't have time to be watching him right now (or posting on this forum, but that's another story...).

Frankly, anyone with a good arm in the NFL can make a throw into a tight window. Jay Cutler can do it. Tony Romo can do it. But it's the elite QB's who do it consistently, throw after throw, drive after drive, in clutch situations, without getting the ball knocked down or picked - that's what I'm talking about. Brady, Manning, Rodgers, etc. - these guys have the combination of arm, timing, accuracy and consistency that makes them able to make all the throws in tight places with confidence.

Just giving a comparison to another 2nd year QB.

colin kaepernick...i thought awsi was better than that

:bobdole:

when san fran goes to seattle in the postseason and they shut down the run and he throws for 75 yards cause he's a one read qb just remember i warned ya

ha ha...backing a crutch qb over his ypa...priceless

colin kaepernick...i thought awsi was better than that

:bobdole:

when san fran goes to seattle in the postseason and they shut down the run and he throws for 75 yards cause he's a one read qb just remember i warned ya

ha ha...backing a crutch qb over his ypa...priceless
I'm not sure why you thought he was better than that.

I'm not sure why you thought he was better than that.

He brings a lot of interesting stuff to the table and is easily one of my favorite posters. Even when he's off in looney tunes territory, his posts are worth reading.

Ya know, I find it kinda strange that with all the past ripping and wanting to draft a new QB or play Moore, that there has been next to nothing like that on this thread. It does appear that most are very happy with Tannehill. Wonder why?

Then why didn't you just say that? Why describe a player that doesn't exist? Didn't Manning throw a pick in crunch time just last night?

I agree Tannehill isn't elite (yet), but just not for the reason you state and demonstrated that to you because one of the QBs (Brady) you used as an example of one that make throw after throw for 60 minutes, isn't doing that this season. If you disagree, feel free to elaborate.
I didn't describe a player that doesn't exist - I described an elite passer. You took my description to mean "perfect" passer, and so you came up with your "that player doesn't exist" line, which was neither as helpful nor as clever as you might think.

Tom Brady, despite all of the turnover and injuries on his team, still has almost a 90 QBR and has his team at a 10-3 record. When I watch him play, I still see an elite passer, and I think you do too - our whole gameplan for the Pats every season (including this one) is "how do we stop Brady from shredding us?" If you disagree, feel free to elaborate.

And btw, for the last time, I think Tannehill is a fine young QB and getting better. I have no idea what we're arguing about right now, except for semantics on what constitutes an "elite passer" maybe. So I'm done.

Back
Top Bottom