Ireland's approval rating | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ireland's approval rating

Do you like Ireland and his direction?

• yes

Votes: 81 24.2%
  • no

Votes: 254 75.8%

• Total voters
Why would you want to quote what "everyone" was doing? Everyone was not happy before the draft or after. A large number of people with hopeful optimism wanted to like the draft. Now they are seeing the first results. Further lots has happened after the draft, it's been months, 4 preseason games and a regular season game. That is not a short amount of time. The results are coming very slowly and Ireland's seeming blunders continue.
That's an important point. The vast majority of fans are hopefully optimistic. Sometimes irrationally and crazily hopeful. There wasn't a single year when Danny was here that I didn't think we were going to the Super Bowl. Being hopeful is a major part of being a fan. It takes a real ****storm to inspire the kind of negativity and hopelessness that pervades our fanbase.

That's an important point. The vast majority of fans are hopefully optimistic. Sometimes irrationally and crazily hopeful. There wasn't a single year when Danny was here that I didn't think we were going to the Super Bowl. Being hopeful is a major part of being a fan. It takes a real ****storm to inspire the kind of negativity and hopelessness that pervades our fanbase.

Yep. There wasn't a year when danny was the qb that I didn't we had a good shot at going to the Super Bowl. Heck even when Fiedler was the qb I always thought we could make some noise in the playoffs. I gave Saban, cam and Sparano all the benefit of the doubt in the beginning. But one can only take so much of a certain level of incompetence. The only pro bowler he's drafted was taken number one overall. His best acquisition was bess who's a nice player but if he's your shining moment than your track record is god awful.

Listen. Every fan base has its apologists. Everyone, so the 15% doesn't surprise me. There were fans who wanted to give cam an extra year. There were fans who supported henne til the very end. Heck, Knicks fans were defending Isiah Thomas til the end. It's what fandom breeds. Irrationality and emotionally driven perspective. But yeah, this is really the first time as a phins fan where not only do I feel our team is lacking in talent but that the cause of it is still making the decisions. And that type of helpless feeling where you know your team has no future while that guys is still running it sucks.

I'm going to keep this simple because a lot of people may not like the job hes doing but don't want him fired for various other reasons. So simply put, do you like what he's done with the team so far?

well if we hired him to run the organization and team into the ground then id say hes the best in biz but in reality he should be hanged for the goalposts and left there for all us fans to beat the hell out him like a pinata

Everyone is overreacting. still. you just want to fire a guy for the sake of firing a guy. What then? Whats your answer? Why now? It makes absolutely no sense at this point in time.

You want to bitch about it? ok bitch about it, but the man aint going anywhere for 16 weeks at least. maybe, maybe sooner in a few weeks before end of season.

But all of you are overreacting to the past. This is a new regime. If you think about it, our RB and QB situation is superb. Just take a look around the league sometime and compare. We just found an acorn who can return kicks, but still all we hear is crap. We found a RT in Martin, who will be just fine, but as soon as he lets one sack in, he is complete crap. The nonsense spewed on here sometimes reminds me of kids on the lot. Our Oline is looking good minus some inexperience and some fine tuning.

Bottom line for me is we are one star WR and CB away from being great while Thill gets experience. Our roster is not as bad as the media makes it out to be. Mark my words, the Buffalo Bills are going to be so far worse than us come game 16. This team is not far off on paper.

I cant stand Naanee. It is the one thing Ireland truly screwed up but to suggest that every GM out there gets it right all the time is crazy. Truth is, they f up all the time!

The only reason why Ireland is so bad is cus of dez bryant. people hate him for that.
were overreacting because you think that with 1 more WR and CB that we are a superstar team but really we are no further ahead than what are now. Florida School of the Blind and Deaf can beat us at this point and if we get those players we would be a wild card team that would get blasted by the ravens or broncos

were overreacting because you think that with 1 more WR and CB that we are a superstar team but really we are no further ahead than what are now. Florida School of the Blind and Deaf can beat us at this point and if we get those players we would be a wild card team that would get blasted by the ravens or broncos

Opinions are good things to have and express. The negative ones become better when you can point to specific problems with alternate solutions.

Here's an example. We were in dire need of a RT. I wanted to sign Eric Winston in the worst way, and knew he wanted to come here. We did not sign him, and I was PISSED. Then, we drafted Martin, and I was OK with that.

Which problems and solutions did you have?

Why I have said yes is that all the GMS for the fins going back to the 1990's and maybe even a bit later have been worse than Ireland IMO. I have been fairly glued to the draft of Miami since the mid 1980's. Anyway just like Peyton Manning Marino covered up a lot of short comings in the talent in Miami along with Don Shula. When Marnio left the franchise showed how little we really had. My problem with Ireland currently is Philbin and if he picked the right guy. I cannot blame Ireland for Sporano and some other drafts with Parcells that some suggest you should. But he is in the drivers seat period with Philbin. If this team does not improve under Philbin that is a huge issue. I do not buy into the excuses of changing that style of offense or defense. If you are making a change it is suppose to be for the better and improvement of the team now to improve. If the same talent on this team was playing better last year then as they used to say in the space business "Houston we have a problem". I am not putting it "ALL" on talent of lack there of. Regarless however you cut it if we are getting our butts kicked which we have then Ireland has screwed up big time because he hired the wrong coach and does not have the talent on the team. Regardless of withever one it is he is at fault. I really hope we turn it around and all that counts is wins if not I just beleive they both need to go and we get the right tandem in here as GM and coach for next year.

I, for one, don't want t team filled with superstars. I want a team that wins super bowls. It's super bowl wins that make superstars out of good players. I want a team that only needs good coaching to thrive. I don't want a bunch of over paid divas. That is how our previous super bowl winning teams were built. No one gave them much of a chance then, either. But then look what happened from '71 to '74. Dynasty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to disagree. The strength of the team is the front 7, and that's only because of FA's Wake, Starks, Soliai, Dansby, and Burnett. Add in Marshall this year along with Cog, Moore, and Bess on O. Then, a few very cheap trades for Bush, Fasano, and McD. That's a lot of guys, not drafted, making an impact on a team.

Remember, in 08 we were like an expansion team with basically nothing.

We have been far from lucky in the draft. However, all the picks in the top rounds were rated as top picks, and would have been taken by other teams if not us.

That being said, I don't know that Ireland is the one to build this team next off season, with a ton of money to spend, and 5 quality draft picks to deal with. IF we mess up next off season, we will be paying for it for another 5 years.
When I was talking FA it wasn't the past I was referring to this past off season. My concern with this upcoming draft is Ireland with multiple picks. I would really like to see Gaine as GM or Decosta of Baltimore.

Why I have said yes is that all the GMS for the fins going back to the 1990's and maybe even a bit later have been worse than Ireland IMO. I have been fairly glued to the draft of Miami since the mid 1980's. Anyway just like Peyton Manning Marino covered up a lot of short comings in the talent in Miami along with Don Shula. When Marnio left the franchise showed how little we really had.
That's simply not true. Let's compare the best players drafted by Shula to the best players drafted/acquired by Ireland/Parcells/whatever--

Shula (we'll start in the late 80s and we won't even count Marino, Offerdahl, or Dwight Stephenson): Louis Oliver, Bryan Cox, Richmond Webb, Troy Vincent, OJ McDuffie, Tim Bowens.

What's Ireland's list: Jake Long and Cameron Wake. Who else?

JJ also drafted better than Ireland, on defense (on offense he was definitely as ineffective as the current regime). And both Shula and JJ were drafting from a much worse position than Ireland who was fortunate enough to have the #1 overall pick. And if you count free agent pick-ups, Shula also acquired Keith Byars, Keith Jackson, and Irving Fryar who outshine any free agents Ireland has brought in.

Ireland has drafted better than Wanny, Saban, and Cameron, but that's hardly a mark of distinction. Rather it explains why this team has been a regular doormat since 2003.

Listen. Every fan base has its apologists... so the 15% doesn't surprise me... It's what fandom breeds. Irrationality and emotionally driven perspective...

Dude, with respect, you're killing me. These comments are funny as hell. Those who voted yes are irrational and emotional? Isn't it just just the opposite? People are calling for Ireland's head after what, 1 game? Change takes time. We have new coaches, new offensive and defensive systems, and a rookie QB. What did you expect this year? The playoffs? The Superbowl? LOL, talk about perspective. I take it you keep up on the Dolphins, re-read what Bill Polian said about what to expect when you start a rookie QB. Maybe that will help you and many others understand that those who voted yes are not apolgists, but rather informed and patient dolfans who understand it's gonna take time to turn our organization around.

I don't know much about the inner workings of the gm position but would it be fair to say that the scouts do most of the leg work on the undrafted guys and Ireland concentrates more on the players expected to go in the top 5 or 6 rounds?

Dude, with respect, you're killing me. These comments are funny as hell. Those who voted yes are irrational and emotional? Isn't it just just the opposite? People are calling for Ireland's head after what, 1 game? Change takes time. We have new coaches, new offensive and defensive systems, and a rookie QB. What did you expect this year? The playoffs? The Superbowl? LOL, talk about perspective. I take it you keep up on the Dolphins, re-read what Bill Polian said about what to expect when you start a rookie QB. Maybe that will help you and many others understand that those who voted yes are not apolgists, but rather informed and patient dolfans who understand it's gonna take time to turn our organization around.

Wait what? One game? The guy has been here for years. So yes, this is exactly the type of irrational justification I was talking about. Let me guess. If we go 2-14 this year and everyone's fired except Ireland and if we start 0-1 next year you can say "buts it's only one game, change takes time". Because that's essentially what u are doing now. So thank you for making my point because your post points to the exact type of irrational perspective I was talking about

Wait what? One game? The guy has been here for years. So yes, this is exactly the type of irrational justification I was talking about. Let me guess. If we go 2-14 this year and everyone's fired except Ireland and if we start 0-1 next year you can say "buts it's only one game, change takes time". Because that's essentially what u are doing now. So thank you for making my point because your post points to the exact type of irrational perspective I was talking about

Those other years dont count he was just stealing phins money while everyone else did everything lol

Back
Top Bottom