Merged 3x: Could Ryan be Miami's man with top pick? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Merged 3x: Could Ryan be Miami's man with top pick?

Those are very good points. It's tough to argue with that.

How is it tough to argue that? Since quarterbacks arguably have the longest learning curve of any position this seems to be a pretty off statement. A player like Dorsey or Long who could actually start from day one and be productive is definitely a much better player to help from day one.

I have no facts to back this up, it is just my opinion, but I view Brohm as more of a product of the system. I don't think he will be great in the NFL.

I respect your opinion because that is what most people tell me when I mention Brohm. But I can say that I have watched him play several games and to me their is no indicator to this. The guy is great in the pocket, has a good/great arm, has a little mobility, and produced the numbers. He played in two different systems, both of which were pro style offenses. He did his best in terms up td's this last year. He did so with a new head coach and different coaching style/philosophy. I've wathced him against WVU and he lit them up. He always seems to find the open guy. Those interceptions that he threw this last year against them were in the last few minutes of the game when he was trying to come back. Even one of them from what I remember was kind of like Mannings first int last week against San Diego. His own player tipped it.

You got to be kidding me. Dorsey fits every scheme, and if he doesn't you make room for him.

change the scheme for a rookie?

yeah, that happens all the time

he would be wasted at NT and he isn't a DE, ergo he is a horrible fit

in a 4-3 scheme he is awesome

I respect your opinion because that is what most people tell me when I mention Brohm. But I can say that I have watched him play several games and to me their is no indicator to this. The guy is great in the pocket, has a good/great arm, has a little mobility, and produced the numbers. He played in two different systems, both of which were pro style offenses. He did his best in terms up td's this last year. He did so with a new head coach and different coaching style/philosophy. I've wathced him against WVU and he lit them up. He always seems to find the open guy. Those interceptions that he threw this last year against them were in the last few minutes of the game when he was trying to come back. Even one of them from what I remember was kind of like Mannings first int last week against San Diego. His own player tipped it.

Understood. It sounds like you watched Brohm more than I did so I will defer to your opinion some.

Not true and not true. Dorsey's frame could support more weight and put him at around 320 which is definitely in the NT range. And before anyone mentions a 350 lb NT go out there and actually look at how many guys are effective at that weight...almost none. Plus a 3-4 DE has basically the same duties as a 4-3 DT they just play a different gap. Dorsey would be an impact player either in a 4-3 or, yes, in a 3-4.

I am personally sold on Brohm and think he has a chance at being the next Marc Bulger. The one concern I have with him is his durability. He seems to get dinged up alot. What's your take on his durability?

change the scheme for a rookie?

yeah, that happens all the time

I'm not so sure I agree with this - Dorsey has certainly played at all the gaps on the line, and has been his usual dominant self at all of them. He's not "planet theory" size, but he can certainly bulk up a bit without suffering.

Gholston you could make a case for - Long no way, I don't care what Groh says. Long has never played LB in any way according to any bio or history I can find. He's never been used in that way.

Again, Long has never played OLB ever. If we want that type of player, get Gholston.

Gotta disagree there, Long could absolutely play OLB or DE in a 3-4 and be great at both. Groh has repeatedly said he would be successful at both and compared him to Mike Vrabel. He could and will definitely play both spots.

Gotta disagree there, Long could absolutely play OLB or DE in a 3-4 and be great at both. Groh has repeatedly said he would be successful at both and compared him to Mike Vrabel. He could and will definitely play both spots.

That's an awfully big risk at a #1 overall spot to hope the guy can make the transition seamlessly and contribute right away like another pick would. We know Gholston can do it, and we know Dorsey is an incredible tackle, and Long is an incredible DE. Long is certainly athletic, and he has a great work ethic. Nonetheless, there's still going to be a heck of a learning curve to get everyone up to speed to NFL status regardless, and I'd rather spend the 35 mil on a player playing in a position he was familiar with. A later pick I'd have no problems with, but for the #1 I'm not happy with the idea.

That's an awfully big risk at a #1 overall spot to hope the guy can make the transition seamlessly and contribute right away like another pick would. We know Gholston can do it, and we know Dorsey is an incredible tackle, and Long is an incredible DE. Long is certainly athletic, and he has a great work ethic. Nonetheless, there's still going to be a heck of a learning curve to get everyone up to speed to NFL status regardless, and I'd rather spend the 35 mil on a player playing in a position he was familiar with. A later pick I'd have no problems with, but for the #1 I'm not happy with the idea.

I think his versatility makes him even more likely to be the pick. I don't think there is any doubt that he could exceed at both positions. I'd be much more comfortable with him at OLB than I would Dorsey at NT. Regardless I think he is a great player and I think he is the pick.

Gholston isn't even in the equation IMO.

I think his versatility makes him even more likely to be the pick. I don't think there is any doubt that he could exceed at both positions. I'd be much more comfortable with him at OLB than I would Dorsey at NT. Regardless I think he is a great player and I think he is the pick.

Gholston isn't even in the equation IMO.

I mention Gholston as another example of the the guy we're apparently looking at Long to become - the next JT. I'm still not sold on Long being able to make the transition quickly and painlessly.

bulking Dorsey up to fit a 3-4 scheme is one of the most inane things I have heard

would you bulk up Terrell Owens and put him at TE?

re-god-$%#-diculous

Gholston you could make a case for - Long no way, I don't care what Groh says. Long has never played LB in any way according to any bio or history I can find. He's never been used in that way.

Again, Long has never played OLB ever. If we want that type of player, get Gholston.

Post of the day right there. Who cares what Al Groh thinks? Long's bio doesn't say he can play 3-4 OLB, so it's a fact. What the heck does Al Groh know about Chris Long or NFL 3-4 defenses anyways?

Back
Top Bottom