MERGED: Chris Long / Long video | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Chris Long / Long video

he doesn't seem slow to u? not slow lik e a turtle but just u know, NOT THAT FAST like JT and JT isn't that FAST. I dono for some reason he doenst seem that fast for the NFL speed to be considered a top 3 pick.

Well, that's a You Tube video against a pass only offense. I've seen him enough to know he's plenty fast enough. Also, Long is 272. Jason Taylor is 240 max. In fact, he was probably less in 2007.

people need to get off this matt roth clone. we are mostly in need of a LT or QB with the #1 pick. as far as DE? we only need a backup DE. but we need a starting LT and QB.

:lol:

Please, Chris Long is everything everyone wanted Roth to be. He is 5x the player Roth is. Calling him a Roth clone is complete nonsense. Have you honestly ever seen Long play?

he had one helluva game, i didnt get to watch it and with this video i'm impressed...but it's only 1 game... watching him beat the Olinemen, the first thing that struck me was how he was in space, his Dcoord ligned him up wide so that he would have space to make his pass rush, and because he's a beast against the run (so even though he is wide, he will be able to shed his blocker and make the tackle in space, very often) .... this kind of player in the NFL cannot make a name for himself as a 3-4 DE , absolutely not. Those Ends in the 3-4 are lined up nose on the Tackle or something on the inside shade, i don't believe Long has the physical tools to play there, not at all.. (from what i've seen..) He would be very interesting at the OLB position but if I had the choice, I may take Gholston over him to fill that position..

he had one helluva game, i didnt get to watch it and with this video i'm impressed...but it's only 1 game... watching him beat the Olinemen, the first thing that struck me was how he was in space, his Dcoord ligned him up wide so that he would have space to make his pass rush, and because he's a beast against the run (so even though he is wide, he will be able to shed his blocker and make the tackle in space, very often) .... this kind of player in the NFL cannot make a name for himself as a 3-4 DE , absolutely not. Those Ends in the 3-4 are lined up nose on the Tackle or something on the inside shade, i don't believe Long has the physical tools to play there, not at all.. (from what i've seen..) He would be very interesting at the OLB position but if I had the choice, I may take Gholston over him to fill that position..
This is of course your opinion and that's fine. I however have watched Long since the beginning of his college days, being from Virginia I get the games. I believe he does in fact have all the tools needed to become a great player in this league. You are basing your knowledge of him on one single game as you said. The guy is a born leader and disruptive force on defense period. I won't comment on Gholston because I have only seen a few games, but I will say Chris is ranked the top player at his position going into this draft for a reason, and IMO is most definitely worthy of being drafted #1 overall.

excerpt from scouting report:
The 22 year old has the ability to play in any defensive scheme, but he would be an asset in a 3-4 scheme where his talents could be utilized better. Teams will see that Long was the Cavaliers' captain for his final two seasons and will take that leadership skills into consideration as well. As it is now, Long is definitely a top 5 prospect in this draft.

a few (of many) quotes regarding Long:
“I've been raving about this young man all year, and all the attention and accolades he receives are well-deserved. Long is the heart and soul of the Cavaliers; his tenacity and desire spills over to the rest of the squad.â€
– Mel Kiper, ESPN analyst

"Virginia defensive end Chris Long is exceptional. ... He can stop the run, drop in coverage, and be a sack artist for a team at the next level. The son of Hall of Fame DE Howie Long is a hard working, productive, all-around defender ...."
– Chris Steuber, Scout.com NFL Draft analyst

“Long is college football’s premier defensive talent and everything NFL scouts look for while searching for the next perennial Pro Bowl defensive end. His combination of size, power, quickness and tenacity should land him a spot on every All-America team in existence and make him a top-five pick in the 2008 draft.â€
– Todd McShay, ESPN.com draft analyst

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UC0guzCtZ7U

nice view of Long. I noticed one thing, the man is very smart when it comes to understanding the game kind of like JT but the thing is he is SLOW.

So I dono guys...maybe hes a seymoure type of guy one day? slow but very effective.

Good God you must have watched it on the wrong speed if you think Long is slow. Do you think the quarterbacks waited on him for those 14 sacks in the season?

Make no mistake Long is head and shoulder THE DE in this draft.

I got your point In Flames, but you didn't mention if you'd rather have him play DE or OLB in our defence... if you think he could succeed as a DE i think you are wrong, but then again i'm only judging based on one game... that being said i believe he could be one very talented OLB...

I got your point In Flames, but you didn't mention if you'd rather have him play DE or OLB in our defence... if you think he could succeed as a DE i think you are wrong, but then again i'm only judging based on one game... that being said i believe he could be one very talented OLB...
Without a doubt I do, and honestly think he would be very successful at both positions...but I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then. :wink:

btw if you get a chance try and checkout other games of his, and if you still feel the same so be it.

A DE in a 3-4 ? I don't buy it... without a doubt in a 4-3 though.... do you have any links or is there any possible way to dwl games on internet ? I would find it very interesting

I definitely could see him being moved to OLB in a 3-4. I read an article awhile back that said his coach compared him to Vrabel. That said, I think he could easily play DE in a 3-4 as well.

I definitely could see him being moved to OLB in a 3-4. I read an article awhile back that said his coach compared him to Vrabel. That said, I think he could easily play DE in a 3-4 as well.

He's been playing DE in a 3-4 for the last few years at Virginia!

He's been playing DE in a 3-4 for the last few years at Virginia!

NCAA isn't NFL ... take a close look at Matt Roth... same exact type of guy, maybe less talented, but look at his case, his motor and his energy are just not enough for the NFL ... Long, even though he's much more talented, should be a better fit in a 4-3 or a OLB in a 3-4, I don't want a Roth #2.... especially not with the 1st overrall

Chris Long has been playing 2-gap defensive end in Virginia's 3-4 defense since the beginning. He got 14 sacks as a 3-4 DE this year.

You can't make judgments about Virginia's scheme based on the Texas Tech game, and it isn't because it's just one game. It is because they were facing Mike Leach's spread system. Mike Leach is an innovator. He is the guy that popularized the spread offensive line formations. JT-forpresident you are only partially correct when you talk about Chris Long lining up in space during the game. There is a reason for that. Mike Leach lines up his offensive lines about 2-2.5 yards off each other. That is EXTREMELY unconventional, way more space than a traditional line that is lined up more or less shoulder-to-shoulder.

Leach's scheme is based on traditional defenses being based on gap theory. Defenses line up according with where offensive players line up. They don't just set themselves up in a set formation based on distance to the quarterback. The 0-technique DL lines up straight ahead on the nose of the Center. In a 4-3, a 1-technique will always line up on the outside shoulder of the Center, a 2-technique straight up on the Guard no matter where he is, a shaded 2-technique on the inside shoulder of the Guard, a 3-technique the outside shoulder of the Guard, a 4-technique face up on the Tackle or shaded 4-technique on the inside shoulder, a 5-technique the outside shoulder of the Tackle, a 6-technique face up on the End (tight end) or shaded to his inside shoulder, a 7-technique on the outside shoulder of the End.

That's how defenses are run, gaps. Mike Leach took that and said well if your defenses are going to line up on my offensive linemen no matter what, I'm going to space out my linemen really far away from the quarterback so that your defensive linemen have to cover a lot more distance to get to my quarterback.

And, if you think you're smart and you say well ok, I'm going to bunch up my defensive linemen toward the inside of your formation anyway and with your OLs spread out so wide it should be easy to get to the quarterback. Well, there's a problem with that. You are now leaving gaps completely uncovered, big burly offensive linemen out on the wings free to run out and block mayhem for receivers or backs on little dinky shotgun scoop screens. You think you're smart rushing three defensive linemen over Center through those big gaps, but the shotgun snap is always going to move faster than your DLs, and the QB is always going to be able to audible right into that dinky WR slip screen and now with your gaps uncovered that big burly tackle is going to be able to release out and put two defenders out of the play just by being big and heavy.

What this spread OL does to a defensive scheme is basically make it look contorted in the way that you observed with all that space that Chris Long had to work with. That, by no means, is a normal sampling for how Virginia does things on defense.

NCAA isn't NFL ... take a close look at Matt Roth... same exact type of guy, maybe less talented, but look at his case, his motor and his energy are just not enough for the NFL ... Long, even though he's much more talented, should be a better fit in a 4-3 or a OLB in a 3-4, I don't want a Roth #2.... especially not with the 1st overrall

Matt Roth was strictly a 4-3 RDE at Iowa though. He never had 2-gap responsibility.

Back
Top Bottom