MERGED: Chris Long / Long video | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

MERGED: Chris Long / Long video

NCAA isn't NFL ... take a close look at Matt Roth... same exact type of guy, maybe less talented, but look at his case, his motor and his energy are just not enough for the NFL ... Long, even though he's much more talented, should be a better fit in a 4-3 or a OLB in a 3-4, I don't want a Roth #2.... especially not with the 1st overrall

My God Roth isn't even on the same page as Long. Roth was a pretty good prospect that has underachieved so far in the NFL. Long is a sensational prospect as a 3-4 DE. And he IS a 3-4 DE. You can't just make the argument that college isn't the same as the pros. If it was that cut and dried then no one would succeed at the next level.

Seriously why do you keep comparing Roth to Long? That invalidates any argument you make because they are not comparable players.

Matt Roth was strictly a 4-3 RDE at Iowa though. He never had 2-gap responsibility.

didnt notice, but anyways i think they are about the same, except that Roth is less talented and agile than Long... on another note, you talked about the larger gaps, but Long was often lined up in 7technique but very far from the OTackle in order to battle screens and quick slants (which Long batted down quite effectively) , rush the passer and contain runs ... i dont know about you but IMO this is a OLB job in a 3-4 ! he made plays when he was inside also, but his big productivity came from that far 7technique stance that transcribes into a 3-4 OLB even though he was a DE... he was in fact doing both sometimes because he eats so much space hehe... anyways, i believe we would get the best of him at LB..

didnt notice, but anyways i think they are about the same, except that Roth is less talented and agile than Long... on another note, you talked about the larger gaps, but Long was often lined up in 7technique but very far from the OTackle in order to battle screens and quick slants (which Long batted down quite effectively) , rush the passer and contain runs ... i dont know about you but IMO this is a OLB job in a 3-4 ! he made plays when he was inside also, but his big productivity came from that far 7technique stance that transcribes into a 3-4 OLB even though he was a DE... he was in fact doing both sometimes because he eats so much space hehe... anyways, i believe we would get the best of him at LB..

At the NFL level he probably would be better served as a OLB in a 3-4. He could play 3-4 DE on a rotational basis. He could play 4-3 DE on a full time basis if that's what you wanted (but why would you want that, if you can use a player as versatile as him in ways that confuse defenses more?).

But he played 3-4 DE at Virginia and got 14 sacks playing that spot. You're making judgments about what technique the guy made the bulk of his plays from, based on one game against a spread passing attack. You tell me he played on the outside shoulder of the tackle most of the game? Duh, spread passing attack, hello.

As for the comparison with Matt Roth, they have similar height, weight and skin color, but that is where it ends. Chris Long has been playing a 2-gap position his entire Virginia career. Matt Roth never has. He was always a play making 4-3 DE...and that's probably what he should be.

My God Roth isn't even on the same page as Long. Roth was a pretty good prospect that has underachieved so far in the NFL. Long is a sensational prospect as a 3-4 DE. And he IS a 3-4 DE. You can't just make the argument that college isn't the same as the pros. If it was that cut and dried then no one would succeed at the next level.

Seriously why do you keep comparing Roth to Long? That invalidates any argument you make because they are not comparable players.

maybe i'm wrong, but since the beginning I keep saying that I base my beliefs on that one game and that's it.. i'm very aware that it doesn't showcase the whole "Long Package " ... i'm just making the case that he made lots of a plays that could be transferred to the OLB position, and that I believe he will pan out a lot more at the position

At the NFL level he probably would be better served as a OLB in a 3-4. He could play 3-4 DE on a rotational basis. He could play 4-3 DE on a full time basis if that's what you wanted (but why would you want that, if you can use a player as versatile as him in ways that confuse defenses more?).

But he played 3-4 DE at Virginia and got 14 sacks playing that spot. You're making judgments about what technique the guy made the bulk of his plays from, based on one game against a spread passing attack. You tell me he played on the outside shoulder of the tackle most of the game? Duh, spread passing attack, hello.

As for the comparison with Matt Roth, they have similar height, weight and skin color, but that is where it ends. Chris Long has been playing a 2-gap position his entire Virginia career. Matt Roth never has. He was always a play making 4-3 DE...and that's probably what he should be.

oh yeah --

maybe i'm wrong with the Roth comparison, but i feel Long will have the same type of impact as Roth did at DE... just a little better... WOuld you definitly draft him first overrall at the DE position ???

oh yeah --

maybe i'm wrong with the Roth comparison, but i feel Long will have the same type of impact as Roth did at DE... just a little better... WOuld you definitly draft him first overrall at the DE position ???

As a 4-3 DE, yes. If I were running a 3-4 I would draft him #1 overall but as an OLB that could be used at up to 7 different positions.

As a 4-3 DE, yes. If I were running a 3-4 I would draft him #1 overall but as an OLB that could be used at up to 7 different positions.

That was my point from the beginning, but i'd roughly use him elsewhere than OLB in the 3-4... maybe DE in a passing situation

do you know any way to dwl tapes from virginia games ? torrent ? limewire ? soulseek i dunno ? i wouldn't mind to watch a couple games to get a real feel of the guy..

If Chris Long were playing in a 3-4, you are saying you would keep him on the bench until we get into obvious passing situations where we need a situational pass rusher?

Boy do I disagree with that. A lot.

Glenn Dorsey is so overrated and does not fit the 3-4 D. Also, Parcells likes bigger DT's then what Dorseys size is. Long will most likely be our pick. I would trade down for a linebacker or corner though if I were GM.

Glenn Dorsey is so overrated and does not fit the 3-4 D. Where was he in the championship game? Also, Parcells likes bigger DT's then what Dorseys size is. Long will most likely be our pick. I would trade down for a linebacker or corner though if I were GM.

LOL where was he? Oh I don't know..altering running plays in the backfield every play..getting a sack from the dt position...causing a fumble...yeah he sucks....

Glenn Dorsey is so overrated and does not fit the 3-4 D. Where was he in the championship game? Also, Parcells likes bigger DT's then what Dorseys size is. Long will most likely be our pick. I would trade down for a linebacker or corner though if I were GM.
DOrsey had 6 tackles a sack and a Forced Fumble.WHat do you want from a DT?10 tackles 2 sacks and a pick?THere were also plenty of times where he slowed down the running backs with his penetration.

Answer: making a ton of plays against the run while Ohio State was still trying to run their base ground offense, and then making a bunch of plays against the pass (ehem, sack/fumble) as soon as Ohio State was forced into catch-up mode toward the end of the game.

DOrsey had 6 tackles a sack and a Forced Fumble.WHat do you want from a DT?10 tackles 2 sacks and a pick?THere were also plenty of times where he slowed down the running backs with his penetration.

Drives me nuts. I think a lot of guys around here just see the quarterback, running back, and wide receiver when they have the ball in their hands. All of the other players? White noise.

Wow, I guess dorsaroll's statement was so incredibly flawed that three people jumped all over him within three minutes. Impressive.

Back
Top Bottom