Need New Runningback | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Need New Runningback

I can't figure out how you guys are even wasting keystrokes to talk about or put down our RB's. Did you even watch the game yesterday???? Tannehill was sacked like 87 times!!! Hit constantly before he could even find his first read. Who on earth do you think in this league you could hand the ball to in that and them gain success??? Spending a single dollar on a RB right now would be the stupidest move in the world (which means Ireland will probably do it). You can't do anything when the line plays like they did. They got severely exposed and so did Sherman. HE is the problem and why teams are not afraid to come after Ryan. They know what is coming, and even when they don't they know it's not going to be anything innovative or surprising. It's very frustrating.

Half the sacks were directly caused by whiffed blocks by the RBs. RBs are absolutely part of the problem here...

Half the sacks were directly caused by whiffed blocks by the RBs. RBs are absolutely part of the problem here...

Then we need a blocking full back. You cannot go get a good blocking RB to fix the problem with the line. I'm not saying we shouldn't upgrade our backs, but they are not what we have to focus on.

RB is almost an interchangeable position nowadays. However, ours cannot break a single tackle...I am very disappointed in Miller's lack of vision, he struggles to break tackles which was expected. I expected him to be able to accelerate, and juke guys though. Danielle is worthless...

People just dont seem to get it ! Reggie Bush was a pretty good running back,and when he was here,he basically did what he id here with no O-line help ! The O-LINE has to be addressed !! The running backs cant get going when you dont have the blocking you need,the QB I still think should throw the ball away more,but the O-LINE is getting him killed most of the time ! ALL things start with the O-LINE,the offense cant get going and in rythm if time isnt made for Tannehill and holes are'nt opened for the backs !

So,forget about running backs,wide recievers and all the rest,UNTIL you address and fix the pffensive line ! After that,go after absolute needs,but NOTHING should be done,NO ONE should be sighned until OFFENSIVE LINEMEN are !!!

So are all the detractors on this thread OK with going with the dynamic duo of Daniel Thomas and Lamar Miller next season?

Nobody we draft will help us if Ireland is doing the drafting.

Ozzy rules!!

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

So are all the detractors on this thread OK with going with the dynamic duo of Daniel Thomas and Lamar Miller next season?

I'm not. I believe Miller can be good with some blocking up front but Thomas wasa wasted pic as so many others have been.

Ozzy rules!!

Miller is not Duke Johnson; he's not even Crawford. Miller needs a clean hole to be effective, and his vision isn't NFL level imo.. Fins were expecting a zone-cut guy who presses, explodes and gives defenders bad angles.. he's not showing that, so team needs to move on.

Thomas.. he's a dinosaur.

I'm telling you, Knowshon Moreno's light came on. He plays with fire and can also catch and PASS BLOCK

Will wait to see whats in FA. Draft a 225+ kid late in draft. Thats how you do it. If Thomas is not a FA, he will stay for competition because he is a vet and knows the offense. He is tied to Philbin.

Here is how I am looking at it in a general sense.

FA LT No 2 Mckinny
FA RB

1. OT (alabama kid would be hot for our pick if he gets to 22 or whatever it ends up being)
2. G (drop down and get another pick and get Steen, Another Alabama slamma.
3. DT (find a sleeper steal here) Pray Francis comes alive
4. RB bigger but prob not fast due to draft status but football is not all about speed, particularly when looking for a conversion guy to get us a first down
4. Steal a LB
5. Linder G/T Miami. Can play T if need be. Big enough. Local kid.

Sign Grimes, Carroll, Soliai

Then we need a blocking full back. You cannot go get a good blocking RB to fix the problem with the line. I'm not saying we shouldn't upgrade our backs, but they are not what we have to focus on.

We had that opportunity with Vonta Leach

Miller is not Duke Johnson; he's not even Crawford. Miller needs a clean hole to be effective, and his vision isn't NFL level imo.. Fins were expecting a zone-cut guy who presses, explodes and gives defenders bad angles.. he's not showing that, so team needs to move on.

Correct, Miller is not as competitive in traffic as Duke Johnson or Dallas Crawford. Nor Damien Berry, a limited player who shared carries with Miller in 2010 with the Canes.

Miller basically hasn't changed since the first time I saw him at Killian High School maybe 5 years ago. He's effective outside when the angle is there. He can turn the corner and rip off several more yards than appear available. Normally he's also reliable taking it the distance on plant and cut runs off tackle. I was twice surprised this season when Miller wandered around and looked around on long runs, finding his best Ronnie Brown imitation.

Miller's limitations are blatantly obvious when you watch another Canes back like Frank Gore. The speed may be gone but wow is he instinctive, finding the hole and weaving perfectly to maximize yardage. Gore also lowers and finishes, while Miller is content to lay down as softly as possible.

Correct, Miller is not as competitive in traffic as Duke Johnson or Dallas Crawford. Nor Damien Berry, a limited player who shared carries with Miller in 2010 with the Canes.

Miller basically hasn't changed since the first time I saw him at Killian High School maybe 5 years ago. He's effective outside when the angle is there. He can turn the corner and rip off several more yards than appear available. Normally he's also reliable taking it the distance on plant and cut runs off tackle. I was twice surprised this season when Miller wandered around and looked around on long runs, finding his best Ronnie Brown imitation.

Miller's limitations are blatantly obvious when you watch another Canes back like Frank Gore. The speed may be gone but wow is he instinctive, finding the hole and weaving perfectly to maximize yardage. Gore also lowers and finishes, while Miller is content to lay down as softly as possible.

Perfect description Awsi....Miller's opportunity has run it's course.

I don't think Ireland identifies RBs or Oline well. So I wouldn't get too excited about what we go after. Still can't believe we took DT over Demarco. Zac Stacy was an obvious steal last year. Lamar has potential to be decent, but he's on a lesser tier of comparable UM backs. Ben Tate is going to be pricey, but he might be worth pursuing. Not sure we have the cap flexibility to make any FA moves.

It's funny, but I've never seen Miller fail to hit a hole when it was there. Last year in his brief time he looked like a natural at running the zone play, almost like he was a Denver Bronco in Shanahan's glory years. Lamar Miller got more holes in ten carries against the Raiders last year than he has had all year.

Lamar Miller is not and never will be an elite back, but I find it funny that a guy averaging 4 ypc with few breakaway runs to pad that is the biggest problem. We have an almost historically bad offensive line in pass protection, and why anyone doesn't think they have the same effect on the running game would be beyond me. The team has put together rushing efforts of 20, 22, 2, and 14 yards in an entire game. To me, thats pretty obviously on the line, because even a street FA running back could get that type of yardage in a few carries merely by running through a hole. There were none, and on top of the line being bad, we had no reliable blocking fullback or tight end, and even when guys were put back there to fill that role, they failed miserably (a la Egnew on the safety in Tampa). The running backs are constantly facing a crowded defensive front, not because teams don't respect our passing weapons, but simply because the line is so bad that they way you beat the passing attack is not through coverage, it's at the LOS. Teams can spoil the run and pass with us through the same tactic.

On top of our talent deficiencies, Sherman and Philbin are simply terrible at feeding the run game enough for it to be successful, or even going away from it when it has been successful, and to top it all off they run the ball from formations and plays that are simply not conducive to steady rushing gains. Running shotgun sweeps or draws works well if you are spreading out the defense or forcing them to stay back. We simply don't do that, and when the defense is stacking the line and getting more of a running start than our own running back, it is almost impossible for a running back to be successful. Scarcely half of our run plays, if even that, are run from these formations. Although that makes sense considering we kept no fullback on the roster, though isn't that the staff's fault too? The offensive coaches come from a Green Bay system that has had a lot of success at times running the ball and other times with an epically bad rushing game. And this was with a HOF QB in Favre and mvp caliber Aaron Rodgers to take pressure off.

Yes, I expect us to bring in some other talent at RB, but that's only because Philbin and Sherman need an excellent RB to have any success in their joke of a running game. I think the staff has failed their RB's (and their team as a whole by extension) far more than their RB's have failed them.

We need to draft or sign a dynamic Runningback who can break some tackles and convert on short yardage. Other than OL, this is our most pressing need. When Tannehill has support from the running game, we usually win.

Which RBs would you target in the draft that would fill this need?

I really like Bishop Sankey of the U. of Washington. He's not the biggest back but he is strong, tough and moves the pile. If he is around in round three of the draft, he would be a nice pickup.

Back
Top Bottom