No extra 6th round pick from the Colts | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

No extra 6th round pick from the Colts

clever boy...

I'm nuetral on Ireland, believe it or not... But to throw all the blame onto him for certain things isn't correct... Things aren't always Black and white like people want to believe. But I get it, for the folks who pick every oppurtunity to slam him, it helps them cope with a season that didn't live up to their personal expectations for the team... While there is nothing wrong with wanting your team to win, complaining about everything, changes nothing!

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

you didn't even bother to read my entire post did you?

Oh I agree that not everything is his fault. I have stated that before. We've been drafting bad for years. I actually like Tannehill and Miller and Martin has potential too. Here's the reason this debate will never end on this board. The ones that defend him will blame Parcells for the bad picks. But what happens when the other side say that the 2012 draft was good thanks to Philbin and not Ireland?.....nobody knows for sure what everyone wanted as far as picks. I just want to win of course.

Ozzy rules!!

So I guess Jeff Ireland lied to Vontae Davis at the conclusion of their meeting in Ireland's office, the segment shown on Hard Knocks:

"What did you get for me?'

"A couple of picks."

Vontae got three picks. You would think that could have been the trigger toward the bonus pick. Matches his career average. Anything along those lines. I'd try to include any number of variables to secure the extra pick, meeting the bar in one category, instead of doing it sloppy toward mere playing time. Granted, we don't know exactly how it was worded but Ireland doesn't strike me as overly clever or resourceful. He could have used the Colts' draft position on the 2nd round pick to trigger the 6th rounder. They probably wouldn't have foreseen something in the 20s as overly likely.

Bottom line, we already got screwed based on how well the Colts fared. Greyboy posted the breakdown of top 40 picks making the Pro Bowl compared to lower second round. Quite a gap. And now we don't even get the extra pick. Retreat to those threads after the trade and I guarantee the supporters of the trade were touting the likelihood of a high second round pick, and an additional pick. Now those aspects are gone but they still have to pretend it as a master stroke.

We should have traded for their logo. A dolphin could kind of fit in there, lounging inside the U, like on a cruise ship near the pool.

Well yeah.. Its very easy to try to make a case using hindsight but nevertheless it is still hindsight.. Regardless we got a 2nd round pick for a nickle cornerback (being Marshall had already beaten Vontae out for the starting gig) Noone thought the Colts would go 11-5 so....

Awesome trade Ireland.....NOT

Ozzy rules!!

He rarely saw the field for Indy. I'm glad we got a 2nd, hell a 3rd would of been alright as well. Brandon Marshall was going to delay Tannehills progress. We probably couldn't get 2 2nds so I'll take 2 3rds for someone that wasn't living up to the potential. So many drop TD's....

He rarely saw the field for Indy. I'm glad we got a 2nd, hell a 3rd would of been alright as well. Brandon Marshall was going to delay Tannehills progress. We probably couldn't get 2 2nds so I'll take 2 3rds for someone that wasn't living up to the potential. So many drop TD's....

I really wish Brandon Marshall wasn't such a douche bag as a person because his talent would have been greatly valued here... But the fact of the matter is, he is a douche bag and even with all the talent he has, being back with his bed buddy Jay Cutler (an equal douche bag) he still didn't get his team to the playoffs....

I think we got a fair deal for Brandon Marshall, I just hope Egnew and who ever we take with this years Bears pick pan out in some way for us.

He was a 10 game starter for a playoff team and out produced any CB on our roster. You're out of your mind if you believe it's anything but a long shot that a late 2nd, let along a 3rd, will be a more valuable player than a 25 year old with elite physical skills and 5 years of starting exp in this league.

It's also very ironic when you suggest Brandon Marshall couldn't net us 2 2nd rounders while applauding Ireland for getting us 2 3rds.

Yes, but we likely signed players who were given equal contracts and possibly started all season. I'm guessing you're just not understanding how compensatory selections work, moreso than disagreeing that we won't get a pick.

Marshall not playing much (starting/playing 4 games), while Langford started all 16 games. Marshall got a 3/16 while Langford got a 4/24.
It's very, very likely that Miami is getting at the VERY least a 6th round pick, possibly a 5th depending how they view playing time vs contract.

No, I understand how they are supposed to work just fine. But I also understand that the NFL has never announced exactly how they weight FA comings and goings, so I'm relying a bit on my gut. I guess it is possible we get a 6th or 7th, but I still doubt it.

You realize with got a 2nd Rd pick for a lazy and injury-plagued player?! We are also going to be getting 1 or 2 Comp picks due to the loss of Davis and Marshall. We are loaded with picks.

You don't get comp picks for trading guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
What rubs me raw about this is that Davis did come back this season and has been making plays, and WILL make plays in the playoffs. The guy is a top-echelon cover corner and, when healthy, can take out a WR for almost a whole game. Davis was and is significantly better than Sean Smith and when the ball is in the air, Vontae could actually locate it. I got mad that he was in poor condition but probably had motivation issues playing for that clown Sparano on a team going nowhere. Had we kept him he probably would've gotten back to top form by the 4th week and we probably win that game against Arizona and maybe some against Indy too (when Smith made one of the worst CB plays ever).

I agree with this post, Davis looked pretty good against the Texans last week. I'm not in favor of letting go no. 1 picks especially when they are young and talented.

It was a bad trade.

All this talk about him not staying healthy is silly - despite the fact that he only played in 8 games this year he still managed 3 INTs (sean smith had 2 in 16 games) and he's healthy now and playing great at the right time as the Colts head into the playoffs.

We traded our best CB (9 picks in 3 years + best tackling DB we had), who only cost us $900,000 as was still on his rookie contract for 2 more seasons for a no 2. Terrible general managemet.

It was a bad trade.

All this talk about him not staying healthy is silly - despite the fact that he only played in 8 games this year he still managed 3 INTs (sean smith had 2 in 16 games) and he's healthy now and playing great at the right time as the Colts head into the playoffs.

We traded our best CB (9 picks in 3 years + best tackling DB we had), who only cost us $900,000 as was still on his rookie contract for 2 more seasons for a no 2. Terrible general managemet.
Vontae was not the best CB in Miami, he was the nickel getting outplayed by Marshall and Smith.
Also, if it was so bad to lose Davis, why did the passing defense improve this year?

I agree with this post, Davis looked pretty good against the Texans last week. I'm not in favor of letting go no. 1 picks especially when they are young and talented.

Again, his one big INT was straight up luck. He was beaten badly, but Schaub threw the worst duck Ive seen and got picked off. If he were on point, that'd be a TD and everyone would be screaming at how ****ty Davis is.

Vontae Davis is exactly what Miami thought he was. He's an underachieving DB with elite physical ability who flashes insane lapses of poor judgment. That's it. There will be times he looks amazing, times he looks like dog****. We didn't like it then, we shouldn't like it now.

I really put Davis and Smith on complete par with each other.

Again, his one big INT was straight up luck. He was beaten badly, but Schaub threw the worst duck Ive seen and got picked off. If he were on point, that'd be a TD and everyone would be screaming at how ****ty Davis is.

I saw the game too and thats straight up BS. Even if true, how many times has Sean Smith had the ball hit him right in the hands only to play hot potato with it?

Here they are for all the worlds delight:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap2000000120120/Colts-defense-INT

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap2000000120292/Colts-defense-INT

Vontae was not the best CB in Miami, he was the nickel getting outplayed by Marshall and Smith.
Also, if it was so bad to lose Davis, why did the passing defense improve this year?
That was preseason and the coaches were busting his balz cause he was out of shape. He would have started come week 1. Why didn't the Cotls ask for Smith or Mashal? Cause they aint good.

The second best QB we faced all year was a rookie...

Back
Top Bottom