Over the last 5 years, Dolphins ranked number 2 in drafting. | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Over the last 5 years, Dolphins ranked number 2 in drafting.

Fields, but that was 6 drafts ago. Also, that was by Mueller not Ireland.

Doesnt the analysis say 5 years regardless of who was GM? We've had the worst drafts in 2007 and 2008 than most any other team in the league. How many draftees are playing at a high level compared to their peers? If Long is not resigned (I for one do not want Long back at any price) there will not be one player on this team from the 2008 draft (as well as 2007); 3 players from the 2009 draft are still on the team and probably are not in the top half of their position. 2010 wasnt too bad but yielded only one true starter. 2011 yielded 1 player at the best of his position and Clay who has potential but needs ot show more. Both Thomas and Wilson are garbage. I would say we have had a middle of the pack in terms of draft rankings over the past 5 years but I wouldnt say we are the 2nd best. Just look at the play on the field.

Please do not try to compare the talent level on the 49ers with ours.....Please don't!

I didnt compare our talent with the 49's talent. Not sure where you got that, you people just read what you want to read - but the underlying point was that you can have talent on your team that can be ruined by poor coaching. That's what the world witnessed when the 49's went from 6-10 to 13-3 on one season. I wasn't comparing talent, I was contrasting coaching.

Doesnt the analysis say 5 years regardless of who was GM? We've had the worst drafts in 2007 and 2008 than most any other team in the league. How many draftees are playing at a high level compared to their peers? If Long is not resigned (I for one do not want Long back at any price) there will not be one player on this team from the 2008 draft (as well as 2007); 3 players from the 2009 draft are still on the team and probably are not in the top half of their position. 2010 wasnt too bad but yielded only one true starter. 2011 yielded 1 player at the best of his position and Clay who has potential but needs ot show more. Both Thomas and Wilson are garbage. I would say we have had a middle of the pack in terms of draft rankings over the past 5 years but I wouldnt say we are the 2nd best. Just look at the play on the field.
the analysis wasn't about who was still on the original team.

And if you look at the different teams and where this method "ranks" them, you see that there is absolutely no direct correlation between how good a team is and this measure. In other words, it doesn't mean ****. Measuring by how may starts just tells me that you had a bad ****ing team to begin with....well let's check...in 2007 we were one pass away from going 0-16. That pretty much sums up why anyone we drafted in the last 5 years started...

To me, it isn't only the drafts....it is the fiascos he has been a part of like when we went after Harbaugh, the Peyton Manning meeting, the multiple players stating that he isn't trustworthy. I think his drafting has been below average and his reputation has kept players away.

Plus...

Free agency has been putrid for Ireland too, the Ravens and 49er's have 24 players signed to a one year deal between them, we struck out on 100% of our 1 year deals. Plus Richard Marshall looks like a huge bust.

He had an opportunity to extend Hartline and Smith last year at this time which would have put us in a much better position this offseason, another huge blunder.

I just don't know where the optimism is coming from, its not like he's being counterfeited by a little bad luck, he's bad at pretty much every facet of his job as a gm. Do people really think he's gonna emerge from the proverbial cocoon as a beautiful butterfly after being an ugly ass worm all his life? If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, then its probably a duck.

I don't know....we got 4 of our 7 wins in the first 8 weeks and only 3 the last half of the season. We got blanked 28-0 in the last game.
When RT went down with his leg injury it cost us some games it took him awhile to get back on track. You can call that an excuse or whatever you want but he did not play well for about 3 games.
I look at last years rookie class of 6 picks making contributions on the field plus players like Lane, Shelby, Samuda and Gray undrafted college FA and year end pickups like Binns and Patterson and I see lot of young hope on this team. I see guys like Msi and Jerry that were just at the beginning of the year to be wasted draft picks suddenly start contributing. Yes I am aware of every draft pick that keeps getting kicked around here not making it but it has been numerous years since I have looked at a Dolphins roster with so many Dolphin drafted or players acquired by the Dolphins in many years. Yes this team has been medocre before they ran Shula out of Miami and the records speak for them selves for my proof. Free agency is not the answer either Shula went that route and that was his undoing his last year in Miami. That year if I stand corrected Miami had 19 former 1st round draft picks on the team and I believe went 9-7 after trying to buy the way to the top. After Shula JJ built a defense but no offense to go with it, and then Dave Wanstant gave away his draft picks for 2 drafts in an attempt to ride Ricky Williams to then top, then big name Saban proved in just 2 years that the NFL was to big for him, Cam and company put on a 1 year nightmare, followed by the ground and pound of Parcells and Sporano who turned to Marshall to bail me out and instead helped to run me out and now we have our team of drafted players no huge egos just Dolphins who want to play some football and for the most part all I also hear from out free agent class want to resign with the team. Has anyone asked themselves why if being a Dolphin or playing for the dolphins is so bad why most of our free agents are looking and hoping to resign with the team. Do you think as players they might know a bit more of what is going on than the fans? Just sayin!

I dont see how this would prove that a GM is good at drafting. The obvious, I would think, problem with it is that it doesnt really account too much how good the players are, as long as theyre starting. So 2 guys starting, such as misi and odrick, would benefit irelands draftmetrics rankings more than if he had drafted earl thomas. Kind of a quantity over quality thing. Teams like us have started players that wouldnt start on a lot of teams.

Looking at the other top drafting teams on that list, were right there with the chiefs, cardinals, browns, eagles, and bucs-all teams that didnt make the playoffs, and I think we all had losing records.

I guess this puts a monkey wrench in the narrative of most of the fire Ireland experts here...I have always stated that Ireland has drafted well when it was HIS drafts. This more than proves it. Now those good drafts must turn into wins over the course of next two - three years...

"Good drafts" shouldn't take 2-3 years to turn into wins. Are we still waiting for the 2007 and 2008 drafts to turn into wins? Or have they done so already but for other teams since most of those players Miami drafted are long gone?

misleading statement is misleading. Are you actually trying to shoot this down by penalizing Ireland/parcells for drafting guys who did start for us? Isn't that the whole point of the draft is to draft players who can start for you?

Players that Matt Millen drafted started for the Detroit Lions. Should he be applauded for the number of players he drafted that started during their 0-16 season?

I agree with this. When many people on this forum hear that you don't like Jeff Ireland, they automatically assume you think he's the worst GM in the league. Nonsense. In my opinion, he's not really bad, but not very good either. He is a mediocre judge of talent. If we want to get to 9-7 or flirt with 8-8 every year, Ireland can probably bring in enough talent to get the Dolphins that far. But I am not convinced he's good enough to build a championship team.

I didnt compare our talent with the 49's talent. Not sure where you got that, you people just read what you want to read - but the underlying point was that you can have talent on your team that can be ruined by poor coaching. That's what the world witnessed when the 49's went from 6-10 to 13-3 on one season. I wasn't comparing talent, I was contrasting coaching.
Well we have had poor coaching and poor talent, so the 49er comparison was a bad one.

But according to some Martin is better than Long and was a solid draft pick to replace him....even though Long in his rookie year makes martin's rookie year seem like high school and even while battling multiple injuries, Long was light years better. It cracks me up that these people are saying that the holes were filled and Irleland drafted players to replace those leaving and try to sell it as a one for one when it is clearly a down grade. Wake up and come back to reality!

This article is like having a crappy hand in poker and you keep losing your money by playing the same cards, but get props for keeping the same cards....LMAO How freaking stupid is that?

Back
Top Bottom