8-12-18 Training Camp Day 11 | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

8-12-18 Training Camp Day 11

He is a deep receiver and red zone threat. We've seen a few glimpses of him as a red zone threat, but he has shown that more in practice than in games. As a deep threat he has a pretty good YPC average, and he has done a good job of winning contested balls. Even last year, when you look at Cutler, a poor QB on a bad offense, Parker started off pretty decently with these stats:

Week Opp Result Target Rec Yard Avg TD Att Yard Avg TD FPts
2 at LAC W 19-17 9 4 85 21.3 0 0 0 - 0 8.5
3 at NYJ L 6-20 10 8 76 9.5 1 0 0 - 0 13.6
4 NO L 0-20 8 6 69 11.5 0 0 0 - 0 6.9

9 OAK L 24-27 8 5 76 15.2 0 0 0 - 0 7.6

In light of our poor offensive play, Parker did well. But when Cutler went completely gun-shy and kept back-peddling non-stop, he couldn't throw Parker's routes any more, so he started force-feeding the short option, Jarvis Landry. While last year wasn't Parker's greatest run of games, it is recent and it shows he was being productive.

I don't have the time to put together an extensive showing for you … although I wish I did. With Parker it has been tough, because the combo of his health and our OL's lack of protection not giving the QB time to throw long, has really limited his effectiveness. But he definitely has been dominant at times.

I know highlights are not analysis, but it's all I have time for right now, so just look at the difficult catches he hauls in.

2016, start at 0:15

There are plenty of other ones, but this should give you a flavor. There are a lot of difficult catches there. Hope that at least gives you a flavor of what we think he can become.

I can't put that much energy into a write up in defense of Parker. Every receiver in this league has some highlight catches. He's wildly inconsistent, always banged up and baby butt soft.

He scored one touchdown last year. One. With his physical attributes, that's disgusting. We drafted him to be dominate. He's just not. Unless he absolutely balls out this year and plays like a number one: good ridance.

Is DVP regressing? Mentally something is not right there. This is a contract year and he is just going through the motions.

Seems like Gase purposely challenged him today and he failed. I'd keep going at him hard with the entire route tree and even let the defense know what the call is every single practice until he comes out of his funk and performs or quits. Tired of this BS with him.

Thank you, @Digital.

Has Parker lived up to his draft slot? Hell to the no

But he hasn’t been worthless crap, and he has a skill set that is hard to match.

You know what sounds worse than Parker, amendola, stills, Grant as your top four?

Amendola, stills, Grant, ford as your top four.

There are plenty of receivers on the squad that have game but not a single one of them can high point a ball and occupy a #1 corner the way that Devante Parker can. Am I saying you go resign Parker to a large contract and keep him here? No, not right now. But him and his potential simply being on the field is an integral part of this offense, and every defense we play has to keep tabs on him. He’s annoyingly incosistent, but his ability to make tough catches on #1 perimeter defenders is unmatched by any other WR (I’m not talking gesicki) on this team. Of course you can upgrade from Devante Parker, but it takes either money or a day 1-2 draft pick. You don’t just throw him away for nothing

@AdamHBeasley: McCain on the boundary. Fitzpatrick in the slot. Interesting!

play our first round pick of of position? play the most expensive slot cb in the league out of postion? great work from the front office at cb

I know I’m late to the party and maybe someone addressed this, but this bugs me too much not to say something.

Minkah played ALL over the field at Alabama. Nickel, in the box, boundary, over the top. Everywhere. In fact, you’ll notice that the best young free safeties are all like this. Honey badger comes to mind immediately. This is a good thing because not only does this mean we get our best DBs on the field at once, but we can mask our coverages waaaay more successfully.

It’s also worth noting that McCain has been very vocal about his desire to transform himself into a true corner and play boundary. If this is a sign that that is happening, we should be thrilled. Because then our DB group would now be incredibly versatile.

Parker may be trying the George Costanza “try the opposite” trick. In the past, he was hyped in camp to have a breakout on the way, and he fizzled. So, this year, he’s built up a consensus against him, in the hope that he’s a contrarian and he actually will explode once the season starts.

I dont think Parker made Jarvis expendable in the FO eyes. I think Jarvis' desire to make over 15 million did!

Sure he did. Miami was betting on Parker showing number 1 capability in a number 1 frame and having to make a decision on who to give a huge contract becomes easy at that point. There was absolutely no chance of Miami paying both of those guys and a reliable speedster in Kenny Stills.

Once it got to the point in 2017 where Jarvis was still producing while Devante went missing, the Juice price got to a point that Miami just couldn’t afford for a guy who isn’t a Bonafide #1 build.

This year the theory gets tested all while still holding out hope for Devante turning that corner . . . .and funny enough if he has a typical Devante year, Miami likely still holds out hope on the 5th year option and 10 million . . . Because well those guys are coveted and costly.

That said, the Juice price was still justified on his end, because of the UFA status and the overall production, despite not being a typical #1 build. When it gets to that point the price goes up and Jarvis, playing his heart out for 4 cheap durable years without much of any assurance and never holding out said “I’m a get paid”.

Good for him and hopefully good for us if we can properly replace him.

He is a deep receiver and red zone threat. We've seen a few glimpses of him as a red zone threat, but he has shown that more in practice than in games. As a deep threat he has a pretty good YPC average, and he has done a good job of winning contested balls. Even last year, when you look at Cutler, a poor QB on a bad offense, Parker started off pretty decently with these stats:

Week Opp Result Target Rec Yard Avg TD Att Yard Avg TD FPts
2 at LAC W 19-17 9 4 85 21.3 0 0 0 - 0 8.5
3 at NYJ L 6-20 10 8 76 9.5 1 0 0 - 0 13.6
4 NO L 0-20 8 6 69 11.5 0 0 0 - 0 6.9

9 OAK L 24-27 8 5 76 15.2 0 0 0 - 0 7.6

In light of our poor offensive play, Parker did well. But when Cutler went completely gun-shy and kept back-peddling non-stop, he couldn't throw Parker's routes any more, so he started force-feeding the short option, Jarvis Landry. While last year wasn't Parker's greatest run of games, it is recent and it shows he was being productive.

I don't have the time to put together an extensive showing for you … although I wish I did. With Parker it has been tough, because the combo of his health and our OL's lack of protection not giving the QB time to throw long, has really limited his effectiveness. But he definitely has been dominant at times.

I know highlights are not analysis, but it's all I have time for right now, so just look at the difficult catches he hauls in.

Start at 0:15

There are plenty of other ones, but this should give you an overview. There are a lot of difficult catches there. Hope that at least gives you a flavor of what we think he can become.

Gives me goose bumps seeing that and i would give my left nut to have that talent. But, something is keeping him down and i don't know what it is. He shows he can be tough, he shows some fire but disappears so often. I hope Tannehill can flourish qith him this year but i really think it's a long shot that all of a sudden he becomes a top wideout...hope I'm wrong

Chambers was not very good. He could make the spectacular catch, but was terrible at adjusting to the ball in the air and poor catching technique.

Dolphins QBs completed 47.8% of their passes throwing to him for a 6.7 YPA. Tannehill's completion % would land somewhere in the low to mid 50s if Chambers was his best friend with a YPA of less than 7. We'll see how well Tannehill does without Landry this year. Hopefully Amendola can stay healthy and Gesicki can be highly productive his rookie year to soften the loss of Landry.

Chambers was also dealing with the likes of Gus Frerotte, Sage Rosenfells, and other dogshit qbs.

Man you would think with the assets we have invested in DE and CB, this should not be a mid August issue.

I thought Tankersly and Lippett were assets. Heard McTyer was playing well and that McCain was going to play boundary in the base defense

this is quite surprising. we have so many DB's and yet so many questions at LB and DT

Back
Top Bottom