After 5 games, How do you Feel About Ireland Now??? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

After 5 games, How do you Feel About Ireland Now???

How is Jerry doing? I saw the last game and i think he struggled a bit

I agree Vega, but I think you will have that with a second year guy that rarely saw the field last year - especially fitness wise. I know he dropped a bunch of weight and all but the season is long. You hear all the time about dead arm periods for baseball players, and dead leg periods, in hockey, especially...Could be that sort of ebb.

I did not hace much faith at all but every week i feel a little bit better

Well I for one supported him until the VD trade and after our horrendous preseason. I was figuring there was no way we would look this good and basically decided that I would wait until after game 4 to really start bashing him and asking for his head. BUT WOW have things changed both Philbin and RT both have done well. I am not a fan who just gives him credit for some moves like I did do when Bill Parcells and Tony S were here I felt after they left he had no more excuses and all the moves were his repsonsibility both good and bad this season. I for one do believe that both Parcells and Tony S relationship with Ireland helped dictate the results we saw on the field until this season. I believed he made a reach for RT that early in the draft this year and picked a coach that was not up to the job. Well I can't blame the guy on one side of my mouth and not give him credit on the other side. That may work for some fans here but not me. IMO Ireland and Philbin had a much better draft this year than Ireland and Tony S ever did. In fact I know a couple of draft gurus I follow quite closely on this site because I believe they are quite good pointed out that they believed at the time that the Cunningham and Egnew pick were more because of what the coach wanted than Ireland. Still like our draft with those picks too. Really I believe Ireland has improved since he arrived in the draft and FA. The guys in FA early we spent the big bucks on turned out to be duds but since then they have been players. His draft picking has improved too. So Ireland's needle is pointed up the moment so I say ride him until we see otherwise just like you would be a fool to trade a ascending player.

Columbo was with us for ONE season. There was zero upgrade available at the time.
Henne looked good his last couple of games before getting injured. He played out his ROOKIE CONTRACT.
Sparano isn't Ireland's decision, that's Ross.

You're seriously transparent. You'll skew anything so Ireland looks bad. Maybe try to be more open and come to your conclusion AFTER seeing evidence, not before.
Literally anybody would have been an upgrade over Colombo. How many did he bring in? Zero. And it wasn't a surprise that Colombo sucked here, considering he was absolutely ****ing horrible in Dallas.

Henne sucked. Henne always sucked. Henne will always suck. And we continued to roll with him. Enough sugar coating it. He's not longer on the team, so you don't need to defend him anymore.

Are you saying Ireland had nothing to do with keeping Sparano around (and completely baseless)? That's too bad, because I was going to give him credit for the Philbin hire (partial, of course, just as he was partially responsible for Sparano).

Transparency eh? Take a look in the mirror bubba. I don't think I've seen anything but positive views about him from you. No criticisms at all? The perfect GM?

I've praised him for multiple things, including Bush, Wake, and finally drafting a real QB (better late than never). I assess him on the whole. Outside of Tannehill, I feel his drafts are mediocre. I feel he has more misses with FA than hits. I think he is too reactive with his roster moves than proactive; case in point, Carpenter will still be missing field goals next week unchallenged by another kicker. He won't do anything about it until he's blown a few more games, if then.

He's going to be here through the next offseason at least, little to nothing will change that, and I'm fine with it. Ideally he would have been gone with Sparano and we could start fresh with Philbin and another GM. But, nothing can be done with that and he's bought more time by finally addressing the most important position in football. He's made some solid moves to get draft picks (even if it did require admitting some of his moves were busts, which I give him credit for too). Now I just want to see him use the picks and cash properly. Get some more playmakers in here. Get Tannehill some weapons. And don't use any more high picks on the o-line unless it's to replace an overpriced Jake Long (and even then, move Martin over and grab an RT later).

He has no excuses. A good GM can have this team competing for the division by next year, a decent one can get it done by the year after. Also, my expectations for the GM aren't the same as they are for the QB and HC. Those two positions need to be very good to great. A merely decent GM is good enough for me, so long as they acknowledge what the most important position in football is. So, long story short, I don't hate Ireland. But if people are going to make false statements about Ireland, I'm going to call them on it. (e.g. saying no to Orton was not HIS decision)

Columbo was with us for ONE season. There was zero upgrade available at the time.
Henne looked good his last couple of games before getting injured. He played out his ROOKIE CONTRACT.
Sparano isn't Ireland's decision, that's Ross.

You're seriously transparent. You'll skew anything so Ireland looks bad. Maybe try to be more open and come to your conclusion AFTER seeing evidence, not before.

You realize thats 4 years, correct? Is just under half a decade a short amount of time? Henne looked rough but filled with potential during his first season starting. When he never improved, he looked bad. Even Ireland knew that, which is why he tried to trade for Orton. And everyone could see Marc Colombo shouldnt have made it out of training camp. Is 16 NFL games and 2 million dollars a small amount of time and money?

Marc Colombo: full season
Ernest Wilford: full season and a second training camp.
Justin Smiley(who played well at first but then alarmingly fell apart): 2 seasons and was traded in the third offseason.
Jake Grove: 2 seasons.
Benny Sapp: full season, training camp, and began the season with us before being cut very early in the year.

To his credit, he did cut Gibril Wilson(who had no real injury history and was a starter, albeit bad for the Raiders) after a season. But most of the names, which were off the top of my head, had no business being on this team, much staying for seasons at a time.
Im sorry, i dont consider 20 games(preseason included) "quickly". I consider training camp or preseason "quick". Like Henne, Phillip Merling was here until this past April. Anyone remember Bobby Carpenter? Other teams coaching staffs publically declared how much of a weak link he is.....and we still didnt cut him until another team repeated the play the following week:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/20241/dolphins-saw-carpenter-off-the-roster

I know people are going to disagree. But before you get angry and post a rebuttal, i would appreciate it if you could do me one thing. Ask yourself a single question: How in gods name has Jeron Mastrud(1 catch, 8 yards) stayed on this team for 3 seasons now?

Are you saying Ireland had nothing to do with keeping Sparano around (and completely baseless)? That's too bad, because I was going to give him credit for the Philbin hire (partial, of course, just as he was partially responsible for Sparano).

Not to worry, Ireland didnt want Philbin. He misevaluated that talent to.

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports that McCoy took his name out of the running for the Raiders head coaching job Wednesday, telling them he no longer wanted to interview in Oakland.
The Raiders reportedly weren’t thrilled about the snub, but McCoy led them to believe he was the favorite for the Dolphins job and didn’t want to jeopardize his chances. McCoy is interviewing with the Dolphins again Thursday. He was set to meet the Raiders Wednesday.....

....Salguero writes that there is a lot of “behind-the-scenes” lobbying for each candidate. ESPN’s Chris Mortensen has hinted that G.M. Jeff Ireland and advisor Carl Peterson have had different ideas about what the team should be looking for.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-hes-favorite-in-miami-withdraws-in-oakland/

General manager Jeff Ireland reportedly told McCoy that if things went as expected the team would be sending a private plane for he and his family following their second interview this week — one that lasted eight hours.

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2012/report-miami-dolphins-would-have-hired-mike-mccoy-if-not-for-todd-bowles/

McCoy "reportedly has the support of Ireland, whose opinions carry significant weight with Ross," the Herald reports. However, the word is that it is a very close decision between McCoy and Philbin.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/rumor...between-joe-philbin-mike-mccoy-115159762.html

There were many more articles about it. Including one that said Ireland felt McCoy was "Presidential". Philbin was Ross' guy. This entire theory of "a new GM would mean a new coach!!" is a complete myth, one i suspect is intentionally perpetuated to try and scare people into supporting Ireland. If Ireland can outlast Sparano, Philbin can outlast Ireland. Especially since Ross inherited Ireland and Sparano, whereas he hired Philbin.

:logic:

How many other teams cut their starting wr after 4 games this season? How many other teams cut their starting anything after 4 games this season? I wonder if a starting wr has ever been cut after 4 games in the history of the league.

I agree with most of what gonzo wrote but I don't agree the team can overcome a mediocre GM even if Philbin and Tannehill turn out to be great. You could argue that Ireland himself has cost us a 4-1 record this season, one impact player could have made the diff in a game that had to be settled in OT. Also, forgetting about the draft and crap free agents he brings in, one of his biggest issues is he waits until the last second to get our good young players into second contracts. We should have signed Hartline and Smith and even Bush for a lot less than what we're going to end up paying them. An extra million here, two million there, it all adds up and at the end of the day its going to mean we won't be able to sign one or two more decent players because we're at the cap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still feel that he's average at best and can be upgraded.

Not to worry, Ireland didnt want Philbin. He misevaluated that talent to.

Ireland put together the list of coaches to interview...Philbin was on that list, along with McCoy and Zimmer. To say he didnt want Philbin is just not true. To say he might have preferred someone over Philbin, might be true. Either way, Philbin was on Ireland's short list.

IMO, it has to do a lot with coaching. Philbin and company are getting the absolute most out of every player on the team.

I am not sure they get the absolute most out of players, but Sparano's staff did not improve players. Philbin's staff does a better job coaching players to reach for their potential.

Ireland put together the list of coaches to interview...Philbin was on that list, along with McCoy and Zimmer. To say he didnt want Philbin is just not true. To say he might have preferred someone over Philbin, might be true. Either way, Philbin was on Ireland's short list.
It was widely reported that at the end Ross wanted Philbin and Ireland wanted McCoy. Make what you want of the reports but to say that Ireland wanted Philbin wasn't documented.

Starks was a free agency acquisition. One of his first.

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

He was facing the best DT in the NFL right now, Geno Atkins. Jerry is the weak link it appears, but don't blame last week on him. He was mediocre. The whole line minus Jake Long was mediocre, actually.

On the season, he's looked "mediocre" to "good" so that's progress!

Starks was a trade. We traded a 7th round pick to tenn for him. Awesome trade.

And another thread about Ireland.....lol......I wan t him gone so we don't have any more threads about him.....lol

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom