Are The Dolphins Rebuilding Or Tanking? | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Are The Dolphins Rebuilding Or Tanking?

Rebuilding or Tanking?

• Rebuilding

Votes: 57 74.0%
  • Tanking

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Neither, we're gonna roll like that past 20 years

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
Still waiting ... ... .... ... ...

Anything to "to SUGGEST that we aren’t tanking" [emphasis mine]

Trying to resign James when there was a cheaper/worse RT on the roster.
Resigning Parker when they have cheaper guys, just as bad, on the roster.
Signing RF when there were cheaper/worse options.
Wilson and Grant, two players who can possibly win games, are still on the roster.

Some were arguing "tanking" meant cutting all but a "core" group of players. To date, Tunsil, Kilgore, Wilson, Parker, Drake, Stills, O'Leary, and some others on O. On D, Harris, Godchaux, Taylor, KA, Baker, McMillan, X, McCain, Fitz, TJM, (essentially the entire back 7) and others. That's not much turnover. I'm not going to say NO tank, but, to date, the signals are mixed. What IS certain is those underperforming, but being paid as if underperforminng are gone (with a couple of exceptions).

Anything to "to SUGGEST that we aren’t tanking" [emphasis mine]

Trying to resign James when there was a cheaper/worse RT on the roster.
Resigning Parker when they have cheaper guys, just as bad, on the roster.
Signing RF when there were cheaper/worse options.
Wilson and Grant, two players who can possibly win games, are still on the roster.

Some were arguing "tanking" meant cutting all but a "core" group of players. To date, Tunsil, Kilgore, Wilson, Parker, Drake, Stills, O'Leary, and some others on O. On D, Harris, Godchaux, Taylor, KA, Baker, McMillan, X, McCain, Fitz, TJM, (essentially the entire back 7) and others. That's not much turnover. I'm not going to say NO tank, but, to date, the signals are mixed. What IS certain is those underperforming, but being paid as if underperforminng are gone (with a couple of exceptions).

Let go of our 2nd and 3rd best olineman (James and Sitton)
Let go of our two best pass rushers (Wake and Quinn)
Let go of our most consistent player on offense (Gore)
Traded our QB with Falk and Fales on the roster at the time
Let Amendola go
Larsen gone
Branch gone

We replaced with

Rowe: Depth
Allen: not even sure
Fitzmagic: Starter
Chris Reed: Not even sure

On our trades. We got 2020 picks.

We arent worried about winning in 2019. I can guarantee you that.

Let Amendola go
Larsen gone
Branch gone

We replaced with

The problem is rev wanted actions that SUGGEST a tank is no a lock - not actions that DISPROVE a tank. I provided those. And, as you know, there are quite a few who don't see Sitton, Quinn, Gore, Larsen, and branch leaving as proof of anything other than dumping contracts or building cap. No one will argue dropping Larsen, Branch, and Quinn will cause any appreciable loss. Certainly I agree, I see no proof Flores is going all in to win as many games as possible, but that gets us back to the unfruitful debate on tank v. rebuild.

The Dolphins are fkn around. Perpetually. You can call it rebuild, or tanking, or mediocrity. It's all the same fkn around.

5-6 wins would be a good year, 4 and below I'd have serious reservations with this front office and coaching staff.

Let Amendola go
Larsen gone
Branch gone

We replaced with

I take it that you are using 'best' and 'consistent' ironically.

There is a new piece on the NFL network today. The hosts agree that the Phins are NOT going to take a QB this year... I agree btw.

Tank? Rebuild?

Semantics, that's all it is.

This year, we are going to fix both lines while Fitz runs for his life. It'll be fun... but let's be honest; we ain't gonna win much.

The problem is rev wanted actions that SUGGEST a tank is no a lock - not actions that DISPROVE a tank. I provided those. And, as you know, there are quite a few who don't see Sitton, Quinn, Gore, Larsen, and branch leaving as proof of anything other than dumping contracts or building cap. No one will argue dropping Larsen, Branch, and Quinn will cause any appreciable loss. Certainly I agree, I see no proof Flores is going all in to win as many games as possible, but that gets us back to the unfruitful debate on tank v. rebuild.
Where are the actions that suggest we are trying to win? Again if you aren’t trying to win you are in what - lose mode

When we signed Suh, we were thinking win now...

We didn't and the signing actually crippled our efforts to win later. For a shot at one year, we screwed ourselves for 4 or 5 years. Signing James would have been that same exact mistake.

We are dumping salaries and old guys so we can win for 4 or 5 years running.

Why is this so hard to understand? This is salary cap football.

Smartest damned thing we've done in years.

Where are the actions that suggest we are trying to win? Again if you aren’t trying to win you are in what - lose mode

Which gets us back to the nebulous definition. I see Miami as dumping burdensome contracts/players with couple of exceptions. Thus, for example, Branch. They have dumped players within arm's reach of retirement. Conversely, they have paid significant $ for players capable of winning games when more tank-guaranteed players were available.

To me, that's taking a hit to get the cap and roster under control and not to win as few games as possible. But, that's word games. The final 53 will answer this dedeba for the average fan

Such an odd question. :nah:

The Miami Dolphins traded their old car in and bought a new one.......

New GM, New real head coach, New O + D Coordinator, new special teams coach, New starting QB for starters.

Those are pretty good signs there and the draft is 3 weeks away.

Signs that we wanted to lose was to do nothing at all and continue to get slapped around by the other NFL teams.

So if you are not trying to win you are trying to tie?

No offense, but I don't see why this is difficult. New HCs ALWAYS turn over personnel to varying degrees. Dump bad/old players and bad contracts to varying degrees. Yet, not all of them are trying to lose. Flores is doing the same type dumping. That does not equate to trying to lose, trying to tie, or trying to win.

This isn't either/or. This is evidence Flores is a new HC. It is certainly fair to disagree over how much turnover is typical or whether Flores is going all out to lose (I think not), but there are clear signs he DIDN'T dump all those who could accidentally win a game or avoid those who could accidentally win a game.

I don't think Flores is trying to win THIS year, but, at the same time, I don't think he's trying to lose as many as possible. I think he's trying to prepare the team for success in a clear, thought out manner and is willing to clear out those who are overpaid or won't be around in '21 to aid in the success. I've already listed last year's starters on O and D who are still around. Some of those (e.g., KA, Parker) were seen as guaranteed gone by many. Excluding DE, the D is, surprisingly intact. And, remember, by some accounts the D was talent-less. I disagree. I see the D (sans a 2nd CB) as average or better in talent. Yes, it can also be argued Flores kept a talent-less D so he could tank. It is that type of debate that continues this fruitless tank/rebuild debate.

Back
Top Bottom